Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Routine Design for Dummies 1.016702

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately, no. Aside from the fact that Smith machines are counter-balanced so that an empty bar weighs between 15 and 25 pounds (unlike a free barbell, which is 45), most people find that they are also able to lift additional poundage since the fixed bar path takes some of the balance and stabilization out of the movement. Sorry! -3X
Post 126 IP   flag post
beltlab private msg quote post Address this user
Great post! Keep more of such kind coming, please.!
Thanks.
Post 127 IP   flag post
acoble02 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious, if you were to do a P/P/L routine using this layout, where would your face pulls and shrugs go? Push or Pull?
Post 128 IP   flag post
i have one more question... in your sample routine, it has a total of 10 sets of push. You wrote up in one of your paragraphs that for larger muscles (like chest), you would do 10-12 sets and for smaller muscles about 6-8 sets. Since chest and shoulders are both push, how would you meet those requirements since you only listed 10 total sets in your sample routine? hope that makes sense. thanks
Post 129 IP   flag post
MusicThings private msg quote post Address this user
@acoble02 shrugs are a pulling motion, face pulls are.....appropriately named
Post 130 IP   flag post

@musicthings I was thinking that but don't face pulls work the shoulders? Since push day involves the shoulders, I should put face pulls on that day or no?
Post 131 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Facepulls do work the shoulders, but primarily the posterior delt which primary function is pull-related.

On a push day for example, the posterior deltoid is only involved to a very limited extent, and not near enough to call it "work" by any means.
Post 132 IP   flag post
@Hamb0 gotcha. Any answers for the second thing I wrote up (above musicthings)?? Thanks for the replies
Post 133 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoble02
i have one more question... in your sample routine, it has a total of 10 sets of push. You wrote up in one of your paragraphs that for larger muscles (like chest), you would do 10-12 sets and for smaller muscles about 6-8 sets. Since chest and shoulders are both push, how would you meet those requirements since you only listed 10 total sets in your sample routine? hope that makes sense. thanks

As for this, keep in mind, that there is a musclegroup overlap in compound exercises. Taking push day as an example, and say you're doing bench press, the anterior deltoids are significantly involved in the movement, and can therefor be counted in as part of shoulder volume. Does it make sense?

By that token, you'll get adequate work four your anterior delts, just from pressing. The remaining sets of "shoulder work", can then be focused shoulder flexion movements like (as an example of isolation) lateral raises and the like.

I'll add though, that Overhead pressing does not involve the chest to the same degree, as bench press involves ant. deltoids, so in that particular context, you shouldn't count that sort of pressing as a part of "chest volume".
Post 134 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@acoble02 as I noted in the original post, thinking in terms of movements and not muscles is your best bet. @Hamb0 nailed it with his explanation of overlapping between exercises. -3X
Post 135 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoble02

As for this, keep in mind, that there is a musclegroup overlap in compound exercises. Taking push day as an example, and say you're doing bench press, the anterior deltoids are significantly involved in the movement, and can therefor be counted in as part of shoulder volume. Does it make sense?

By that token, you'll get adequate work four your anterior delts, just from pressing. The remaining sets of "shoulder work", can then be focused shoulder flexion movements like (as an example of isolation) lateral raises and the like.

I'll add though, that Overhead pressing does not involve the chest to the same degree, as bench press involves ant. deltoids, so in that particular context, you shouldn't count that sort of pressing as a part of "chest volume".

That makes a little more sense. But since you said that chest won't get hit with shoulder exercises like overhead press, wouldn't I have to do 10 sets of chest exercises to meet the "requirement" that @eknight suggested? Sample workout:
4 sets of bench press
3 sets of incline DB press
3 sets of cable crossovers
Those are the 10 sets of push. So would I not add a shoulder exercises like lateral raises? Thanks for the replies
Post 136 IP   flag post
@acoble02 Yes, of total push volume, it would make sense to have the volume lean a little towards being chest dominant IN GENERAL. Aside from that, adding lateral raises would fit as you said.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Gotcha. thanks for the help guys.
Post 138 IP   flag post
MusicThings private msg quote post Address this user
@acoble02 Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb0
Facepulls do work the shoulders, but primarily the posterior delt which primary function is pull-related.

On a push day for example, the posterior deltoid is only involved to a very limited extent, and not near enough to call it "work" by any means.

He beat me to it and nailed it.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Would this write up be alright for women? Looking for a program for my girlfriend... Any recommendations?
Post 140 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes. Depending on her level of experience, you may need to decrease the overall volume. -3X
Post 141 IP   flag post
Thank you @eknight you've been a great help to this forum. Appreciate it
Post 142 IP   flag post
Jeffr private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,

Just a few questions:

One of the pushing movement have to be a shoulder press?
For exemple with one shoulder press every pushing day 4x6 and 3x10 this is 54 reps for anterior delt and 114 reps for chest weekly.

But it doesn't match with the 10-12 sets for chest 2 times a week it makes me 6 sets push one and 7 sets push 2 for chest and the rest for shoulders with military press.

I'm lost on this point.

Thank's for help.
Post 143 IP   flag post
outdoorlife2016 private msg quote post Address this user
Will you please lay an actual plan out based off all of this information you've provided? Would greatly appreciate it. You have all the workouts laid out, but I would just feel much better if someone laid a plan out.
Post 144 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
C'mon, don't be lazy. I literally described a set and rep scheme and provided a decent list of exercises to plug into it. It's all already there! -3X
Post 145 IP   flag post
Calidream private msg quote post Address this user
Hi eknight,

Im actually following fierce 5 (a full body program) and im wondering if im pointing in the right path, my main goal is mass (aesthetics) and I CAN ideally workout 3 times a week or even 4 if necessary

Stats: 178cm (5 ft10 )
20 years old
Wheight:138lbs
Bench max: 145 lbs
Squat max: 200lbs
Deadlift: 270 lbs
military press: 110 lbs

Am I on the right track ? So many things are confused on the internet, don’t know who to trust despite the guy who designed fierce 5 is a knowledgeable guy.. I’m just to afraid to go straight to your routine with my poor stats. Thanks in advance
Post 146 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I don't think your stats are poor, but I also can't comment on the routine you're using- I'm not familiar with it. -3X
Post 147 IP   flag post
Seriously ??

It's basically an full body program:
Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Face Pulls 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset

And you do A B A then the next week B A B, what would you advise then ??

Thanks in advance
Post 148 IP   flag post
What would you just advise for a guy with my "level" ??

Now i am like 150lbs x1 bench press
220x1 lbs squat
100x1 Military press

140 lbs bodyweight for 5"10.

Thanks in advance ek
Post 149 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Westside for Skinny Bastards. -3X
Post 150 IP   flag post
fit66chevy private msg quote post Address this user
Any thoughts, changes, or recommendations you would make on this routine?

Tuesday
Back squats 4 x 5
Barbell lunges 4 x 10
Dead lifts 4 x 10
Leg curls 4 x 5
Standing calve raises 4 x 10
Seated calve raises 4 x 10

Wednesday
Incline Barbell Bench Presses 4 x 5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 10
Side cable lateral raises 4 x 10
Pull ups 4 x 10
Barbell rows 4 x 5
One arm dumbbell rows 4 x 10
Face pulls 4 x 10
Dumbbell shrugs 4 x 10
Rope push downs 4 x 10
Barbell curls 4 x 10

Thursday
HIIT & Abs

Friday
Leg Press 4 x 5
Barbell lunges 4 x 10
Romanian dead lifts 4 x 10
Leg curls 4 x 5
Standing calve raises 4 x 10
Seated calve raises 4 x 10

Saturday
Barbell Bench Press 4 x 5
Dumbbell Incline press 4 x 10
Side cable lateral raises 4 x 10
Pull ups 4 x 10
Cable rows 4 x 5
Reverse Flyes 4 x 10
Face pulls 4 x 10
Barbell Shrugs 4 x 10
Reverse Grip push downs 4 x 10
Incline Bench DB Curls 4 x 10

Sunday
HIIT & Abs

Monday
OFF
Post 151 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for this thread. Coming back to weight-lifting after almost 3 years of pause and this is exactly what I was looking for.
Post 152 IP   flag post
I thought the push:pull ratio was 1:2? This write up wouldn't be correct then? So confused
Post 153 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It's a goal to shoot for. What would be incorrect? If this set-up is confusing, you're not ready to create your own routines yet. -3X
Post 154 IP   flag post
@eknight this is why it's confusing..if you could explain this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Post 155 IP   flag post
340737 178 30
destitute