Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Routine Design for Dummies 1.016702

skullay private msg quote post Address this user
Good to see EK is still around dropping science. great post.
Post 101 IP   flag post
TheP private msg quote post Address this user
How much impact does the different rep range have, lets say between 4-6 reps or 3-5 reps, is the differnce so small that its not worth worrying about?

I normally do 4-6 reps on commpound moves like bench, ohp and Bb row on strength days, and 6-10 reps on assistance exercice, sounds fine?
Post 102 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Since 3-5 and 4-6 overlap each other, I'd say there's no difference. -3X
Post 103 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim09
This is probably common knowledge, but lighter weights at higher reps for cutting and toning and heavier weights at lower reps for building mass. I think cardio is very important too, as too many of us muscle builders only care about bulking up LOL

Completely untrue. If you're going to post information- especially incorrect info- please do it in another thread and not this one. -3X
Post 104 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight
What's your opinion on increasing frequency on main lifts bench,squat and deadlift? Most of the strength programs are utilizing daily undulating method. If one of main lifts plateaus should we just up the frequency or volume?

I was doing bench and squating three times a week and deadlifting twice. But last month i had minor injury in my low back and haven't been squating and deadlifting, just doing leg press and lunges for quad. How should i approach to squat and deadlift in terms of frequency and volume?
Post 105 IP   flag post

The Dark
Knight
You can up the frequency/volume, but you'll need to cut back on some accessory work. You're only going to be able to handle so much work before it becomes counter-productive.

Since I don't know the location, severity, or pathology of the injury, all I can tell you is to go light and ease back into those movements and continue focusing some portion of your day on core strengthening. -3X
Post 106 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight
Just need some right guideline for routine design and general questions
I'm going to do push pull legs and i can train 5 times a week since i get my gains by doing twice a week. Can i do p/p/l/upper/lower or just stick to basic concept P/P/L? Which is optimal? I'm having low back issues can't do leg press, squat and deadlift what other quad movement can i do besides reverse lunges?
In some other thread you laid out general outline for ppl
Week 1: PPLPP
Week 2: LPPLP
Week 3: PLPPL
I can train from monday to saturday skipping sunday.
Post 107 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Either of those options is fine. I'm not sure that one offers an advantage over the other.

Re. quads, jump squats, any type of lunge or step-up, or TKE's with a band are good options. -3X
Post 108 IP   flag post
KK91 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight

I've tried to make a simple routine,what do you think?

Upper A (strenght oriented)

Flat Bench press 5x5
Incline Bench 4x6
Military press 3x5-7
Weighted pull up 4x6
T-Bar Row 4x6
Seated Cable row 3x8-10
Barbell Curl 3x8
Close grip bench press 3x8
Face pull 4x15

Lower A(strenght)
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 3x5
Leg press close feet 3x8-10
Leg curl 4x8-10
Claf raises
Shrugs 3x8-10

Upper B
DB Bench press 4x8-10
Incline DB press 4x8-10
Shoulder press supersetted Lateral Raises 3x8+10
Bent over row 3x8-10
Lat pull down reverse grip 3x8-10
Chest supported Machine Row 3x8-10
Incline DB curl 3x10
Overhead tricep extension 3x10
Face Pull 4x15

Lower B
Squat 4x8
Lunges 3x10
Stiffed leg Dealift 3x10
Leg curl 3x10
Calf+Shrugs
Post 109 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
My opinion of the above routine can be found on page 1, post #1 of this thread. -3X
Post 110 IP   flag post
KK91 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
My opinion of the above routine can be found on page 1, post #1 of this thread. -3X

Thanks XD

Anyway i hope its good..
Post 111 IP   flag post
Juicywog private msg quote post Address this user
whats the best routine for a ectomorph bruhs
Post 112 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
A textbook and some human biology lessons.

Now stay out of here with that broscience bullshit. -3X
Post 113 IP   flag post
antoksl private msg quote post Address this user
Hi.

How do you suggest progressing on this routine?

Is there any need to change it after some time or can it be run basically "endlessly"?

thanks
Post 114 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Every 8-10 weeks, you can change exercises altogether, or change from a linear progression to a conjugate progression. Change the rep scheme or volume based on nutrition. There's a lot that can be done. -3X
Post 115 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm obviously not an expert, but I'm trying to design a routine for balance. I don't care about pushing numbers as much as I use to. I just like to lift weights and I want to keep doing it as long as possible. I'm going to input a routine based off your design and I'd really appreciate it if you could quickly check it and make sure it's good because I'll probably run it forever, maybe switch exercises here and there. I just want to know that what I'm doing is 100% good for my body, that I'm not creating imbalances.

I understand that I could follow a preset routine like PHAT,west side, etc, but I do have certain limitations that hold me back from doing so in case you're wondering. I also cannot train legs because of a tendon issue. I'd be more than happy to pay you something for your time and effort if you'd like to PM me. Like $100?

Pushing movement: 4 sets 3-6 reps : Flat DB Chest Press?
Different push: 3 sets 8-10 reps : Strict Push Ups/Cable Flies?
Different push: 3 sets 8-10 reps : Seated DB Shoulder Press?
Vertical pull movement: 3 sets 8-10 reps : 1 Arm Lat PDowns?
Horizontal pull movement: 3 sets 8-10 reps : 1 Arm Cable Rows?
Different pull movement: 3 sets 8-10 reps : uh.. help?
Shoulder horizontal abduction or external rotation movement: 3 sets 8-10 reps (ie, face-pulls, band pull-aparts, DB or band external rotation movement) << Can I do reverse flys? If not face pulls will work I guess. Just a little discomfort in wrists but If I'm very strict I think I can negate that.
Scapular retraction movement 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps (shrugs, Y or W raises, prone trap raises) Shrugs ok?
Biceps: 4-6 sets : DB curls?
Triceps: 4-6 sets : Tricep ext with straight bar?

I'm planning on running this every 2 days, so like Monday, Thursday, Sunday etc?

The reason for the certain movements I listed is because I have a light to moderate case of tennis elbow that prevents me from certain movements. I prefer 1 arm movements as they seem to have the least effect on it, I'm guessing because of the extra mobility.

Anyway, you can PM me if you'd like to go back and forth with suggestions and what not. Leave me your paypal or something and I'll give you some cash. Let me know. Thank you sir.
Post 116 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@jja0016 I appreciate the offer, but I'm not currently accepting new clients. As a PTA, there's some murky water with "training" vs "treating," that I won't wade into.

Regarding your setup, post #33 on page 2 of this thread has a list of exercises I'd advise. I would recommend not performing this routine three times per week. Doing that much volume will lead to some musculoskeletal dysfunction (i.e., hypertonicity of the muscles resulting in mobility deficits) eventually. I believe I also read somewhere that you have some lower body tendon issues? See a medical professional about that. You can't just not train half your body and be functional. If my 70 year old knee replacement patients can exercise their lower bodies, so can you. You might just need the advice of a physical therapist to point you in the direction of exercises you can so as strengthening and corrective movements. -3X
Post 117 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you sir. Sound advice. I think I have been working out upper body too much. I'm going to stop working out for a while and go see a PT. Thanks.

If I had asked questions in the first place I never would have ran the routine I've been running for like a year which I think caused my imbalances and hypertonicity as you said.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Finn private msg quote post Address this user
How would I train a lagging muscle? Should I train it another once more each week at the end of a session?
Post 119 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I wouldn't add volume as your first remedy. Chances are if a muscle is not responding to what you're doing or how you're training, adding another day of work that it doesn't respond to isn't going to help. I'd look at exercise selection, intensity, and technique. Which muscle group are you concerned with? -3X
Post 120 IP   flag post
frame private msg quote post Address this user
Good stuff about such type of training is that you get all those hormonal peaks and hitting muscle twice per week but the bad stuff compared to 5 day bro split is that workouts take too long. For example Id prefer to hit muscle hard within 45 mins and go out of the gym to prepare food and recover, so i save like double of time for wokouts. Split like this one is superior in this case: chest, back, legs, shoulders, arms, off, big lifts day(squat,deadlift,shrugs), repeat
Post 121 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Not for naturals it isn't. If you can't finish one of the upper-lower splits here in less than 60-75 mins, you're taking too long between sets. Devoting an entire day to shoulders will lead to overuse injuries and devoting an entire day to arms- which get worked already if you're performing your push/pull movements correctly- is just a waste. -3X
Post 122 IP   flag post
frame private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you eknight, but how to train if you have about 40-45 mins per workout but can train every day? 34 working sets for upper day will take 1-1,5 hours with good intensity which is very long. Maybe split a bit more like this:
Chest+back+triceps, lower, off, chest+Back+biceps, lower, sidedelts+rotatorcuff+abs, off, repeat
Would that be ok for natural lifter from your point of view?
Post 123 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
34 sets should not take an hour and a half. You're resting too long if that's the case. 60 seconds between sets is plenty.

This thread is set up as a sticky to help new members. I have no interest in further debating this and taking up space derailing the thread. Start your own thread if you wish to argue your points please. -3X
Post 124 IP   flag post
Jenrboyle private msg quote post Address this user
would my max on the smith machine be the same as on a squat rack? (I would easily test this question if I could, but the tiny gym in my very small town doesn't have a squat rack)
Post 125 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Unfortunately, no. Aside from the fact that Smith machines are counter-balanced so that an empty bar weighs between 15 and 25 pounds (unlike a free barbell, which is 45), most people find that they are also able to lift additional poundage since the fixed bar path takes some of the balance and stabilization out of the movement. Sorry! -3X
Post 126 IP   flag post
beltlab private msg quote post Address this user
Great post! Keep more of such kind coming, please.!
Thanks.
Post 127 IP   flag post
acoble02 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious, if you were to do a P/P/L routine using this layout, where would your face pulls and shrugs go? Push or Pull?
Post 128 IP   flag post
acoble02 private msg quote post Address this user
i have one more question... in your sample routine, it has a total of 10 sets of push. You wrote up in one of your paragraphs that for larger muscles (like chest), you would do 10-12 sets and for smaller muscles about 6-8 sets. Since chest and shoulders are both push, how would you meet those requirements since you only listed 10 total sets in your sample routine? hope that makes sense. thanks
Post 129 IP   flag post
MusicThings private msg quote post Address this user
@acoble02 shrugs are a pulling motion, face pulls are.....appropriately named
Post 130 IP   flag post
340762 178 30
destitute