Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Routine Design for Dummies 1.016702

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
This is definitely not a beginner's routine. It is set up in a way that will address proper function and correct strength deficits anywhere you have them over time as long as you're progressing in weight. -3X
Post 76 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight
What is your thought on DUP routine? I tried 531 and your version of westside really enjoyed and saw improvements in my strength.
Post 77 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I haven't used it, so I'll withhold opinion. There's a few logs on it here though. I think maybe @Rand is running it. -3X
Post 78 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
I read somewhere you do 20-25 reps for biceps?
My biceps haven't made any noticable progress really going heavy 10-12.

Why 20-25 reps? And how many sets did you do?
Post 79 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
What? -3X
Post 80 IP   flag post

What I'm asking is.. Obviously my biceps don't react well to heavy curls. Some people suggest picking a lighter weight and do higher reps for growth.

I'm confused on the rep ranges. 10-12 vs 20-25 with lighter weight.
Is there any science behind this method?

Like why is it some people have to really put emphasis on a certain body part or train it differently to get results? Genetic?
Post 81 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No, there's zero science to that. What is your current arms routine; how long have you been doing it; how big are your arms, neck, and calves? -3X
Post 82 IP   flag post
I don't have a arm routine. I run PPL and I do 2 exercises for biceps
Hammer curls 3 sets
Db curls 3 sets or machine curls

I've been running PPL now after my cut for 3 months now everything's growing except for biceps.

Idk my measurements though. I'm not really caught up with having big arms I just want to know why my biceps haven't grown because I'm on a surplus and getting rest.
Post 83 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
3 months? FFS give it some time.

Hammer curls also do not really target the biceps well because without supinating the forearm, the brachialis becomes the primary elbow flexor. If you're really that worried about it sub them out for incline DB curls. -3X
Post 84 IP   flag post
Ok I will try that. Everything seems to go fine for everything else. I'm also adding more mid trap work like you said. This gym has everything. Thanks you.
Post 85 IP   flag post
c3pOMG private msg quote post Address this user
EK,
like always, great content. can you tell us the best progression to use with this? obviously adding weight to the bar is key, but we can't just add every time we go to the gym or else we'd all be benching 600 by now.
some say use the 4-6 range, once you hit 6 on all sets, add weight then, Ie double progression. some say add sets only when you hit the target reps. do you have a preferred method?
also how would RPE play into this? should all sets be 1/2 reps short of failure? stop at target rep on 1st 3 sets then rep out last set? what has worked best for you and your clients?
thanks again for taking the time to help us all be better lifters.
Post 86 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Stop at target reps as a general rule. Add weight as the target reps become easier. Don't over-complicate things. -3X
Post 87 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Dude this thread is AWESOME!

I credit you for 95% of my knowledge that I have so far! And you just keep going!

Major respect!
Post 88 IP   flag post
First Happy Birthday! 🎉

My left serratus is bigger than my right which is a big problem. Can I correct this with doing scapular push ups? I'm always doing one arm movements like db press or single arm pull downs. Will this work?
Post 89 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'd add one arm serratus db punches. -3X
Post 90 IP   flag post
BC_physique private msg quote post Address this user
Gains for any muscle group I would say u need to break it down. And the mind muscle connection is huge when doing any movement. U have to feel and really concentrate on that muscle contacting.
Post 91 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No broscience in this thread, please. -3X
Post 92 IP   flag post
BC_physique private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing in what I said was bro science
Post 93 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Stay out of this thread. You're not wanted here. Troll somewhere else. I'm not going to ruin and derail an otherwise informative thread arguing with you. -3X
Post 94 IP   flag post

Hello @eknight

I'll be running DUP next week. I'm also adding little fluff work on saturday like Defranco's isometric hold Y,W,T and band pull apart, also OHP and shoulder shocker. Waiting for your opinion on my template.
Post 95 IP   flag post
lauralovestolift private msg quote post Address this user
@ BC_physique you are conpletely right in saying that a mind and muscle connection is really important
Post 96 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
So you can somehow use your mind to make your muscles grow more or lift more? You can consciously make an effort to stimulate more hypertrophy, simply by thinking about it?

Don't you realize how ridiculous that sounds??? -3X
Post 97 IP   flag post
Mulcts private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone post an example routine.

Thanks
Post 98 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Plug the exercises on page 2 into the set-up on page 1. There's your routine. If you're not willing to do the work to create a program that is basically laid out for you, how are you going to do the work in the gym??? -3X
Post 99 IP   flag post
tjfromthe6 private msg quote post Address this user
This is what I've been doing and EVERYTHING is better especially my posture.

Monday & Thursday
Back squats 4 x 5
Barbell lunges 4 x 10
Romanian dead lifts 4 x 10
Lying leg curls 4 x 5
Standing calve raises 4 x 10
Seated calve raises 4 x 10
Cable crunches 4 x 10
Hanging leg raises 4 x 10

Tuesday & Friday
Incline bench presses 4 x 5
One arm dumbbell bench presses 4 x 10
Side cable lateral raises 4 x 10
Pull ups 4 x 10
Barbell rows 4 x 5
One arm dumbbell rows 4 x 10
Face pulls 4 x 10
Dumbbell shrugs 4 x 10
Rope push downs 4 x 10
Barbell curls 4 x 10
Post 100 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
Good to see EK is still around dropping science. great post.
Post 101 IP   flag post
TheP private msg quote post Address this user
How much impact does the different rep range have, lets say between 4-6 reps or 3-5 reps, is the differnce so small that its not worth worrying about?

I normally do 4-6 reps on commpound moves like bench, ohp and Bb row on strength days, and 6-10 reps on assistance exercice, sounds fine?
Post 102 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Since 3-5 and 4-6 overlap each other, I'd say there's no difference. -3X
Post 103 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim09
This is probably common knowledge, but lighter weights at higher reps for cutting and toning and heavier weights at lower reps for building mass. I think cardio is very important too, as too many of us muscle builders only care about bulking up LOL

Completely untrue. If you're going to post information- especially incorrect info- please do it in another thread and not this one. -3X
Post 104 IP   flag post
@eknight
What's your opinion on increasing frequency on main lifts bench,squat and deadlift? Most of the strength programs are utilizing daily undulating method. If one of main lifts plateaus should we just up the frequency or volume?

I was doing bench and squating three times a week and deadlifting twice. But last month i had minor injury in my low back and haven't been squating and deadlifting, just doing leg press and lunges for quad. How should i approach to squat and deadlift in terms of frequency and volume?
Post 105 IP   flag post
340609 178 30
destitute