Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Routine Design for Dummies 1.016702

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopsdaddy
with age I have learned that all this heavy lifting a week takes a toll on me at least

You're not alone, luckely heavy weights are not necessary for hypertrophy, especially not maxing.
Here's a good article that you might find interesting.
Post 26 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
This should get moved to the FAQ or stickied separate.

Nice write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanair
@eknight Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja0016
should sticky this

Done - we could combine this with the FAQ but let's try it as a 2nd sticky thread. Great work @eknight
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@mikew thanks bro!

So, "no patients," turned into "several late patients," thus, I will try to compose a list of exercises that I love tomorrow. -3X
Post 28 IP   flag post
Coopsdaddy private msg quote post Address this user
No rush,thanks again!
Post 29 IP   flag post
ajm87 private msg quote post Address this user
Tremendous!
Post 30 IP   flag post

the1 private msg quote post Address this user
u go glen coco !!!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Callofthehounds private msg quote post Address this user
Great thread.
Post 32 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
OK, sorry about the delay. To keep it from getting too overwhelming, I've narrowed the exercise selection to 11 main body parts: chest, lats, traps, shoulders, superficial and deep trunk, elbow flexors, elbow extensors, quads, glutes, hams, calves. This is by no means a comprehensive list, nor is it a "best exercises," list, necessarily, but it's the group of movements that I feel (based on EMG data and the risk vs. reward of each) are the optimal movements for the average healthy person, with no limitations.

1. Chest: barbell bench press, cable cross-over, incline press (around 45 degrees), band chest press.
2. Lats: pronated chins, DB rows, Lat pulldowns, cable rows.
3. Shoulders: anterior delts: military press w/DB or barbell, incline press. Lateral delts: lateral raises (standing, seated, or cable) stopping 30 degrees away from the body or done sidelying on an incline bench. Posterior delts: band pull-aparts, bent lateral raises, machine/cable reverse flyes.
4. Superficial/deep trunk: posterior pelvic tilts, ab wheel, bird-dogs, planks and side planks, body saws, reverse hypers, deadlifts, kneeling cable crunches.
5. Elbow flexors: incline DB curls into slight shoulder flexion, barbell curls, hammer curls.
6. Elbow extensors: rolling DB extensions, lying triceps extensions, cable pushdowns w/various handles, bench dips.
7. Traps: Traps are unique in that they have more than one point of insertion, and perform more than one function. My list: DB shrugs, Y or W raises with either DBs or cable attachment, reverse flyes, deadlifts.
8. Quads: squats to 90-100 degrees, TKE with a band, hack squats, lunges/split squats, deadlifts.
9. Glutes: squats, deads, glute bridges, hip thrusts
10. Hamstrings: seated leg curls, lying leg curls, glute-ham raises, Nordic eccentric hamstring curls, deadlifts.
11. Calves: donkey calf raises, toe presses on the leg press, seated leg presses.

List is, of course, open to questions and amending. -3X
Post 33 IP   flag post
What are your reconditions for guys like me that have some age and are concerned about lower back safety,risk vs reward type of deal,not being a wuss but when you have 3 kids to feed making sure you can work is important,I can handle trap bar deads and squats to a extent and live doing them,I'm just at a point in my life were being and looking fit are more important than being big and strong.
Thanks
Post 34 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Unless you have a prior condition that limits you from doing a movement outright, I would advise the above with a lighter or more manageable rep range, or look into DeFranco's Rules for Washed-up Meatheads, and adjust the weight as you need to: https://www.t-nation.com/training/defrancos-training-rules-for-washed-up-meatheads -3X
Post 35 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
no flies for chest? I thought they were the highest EMG for chest unless i misread
Post 36 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Cable cross-overs ARE a form of flyes. When tested against barbell presses, DB presses, cable crossovers, and machine flyes (pec deck), DB flyes had the least measured EMG. -3X
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

10. Hamstrings: seated leg curls, lying leg curls, glute-ham raises, Nordic eccentric hamstring curls, deadlifts.

I'm curious, why DL instead RDL or Hypers (pad below waist)?
Post 38 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Personal preference. And because I hit 375 in them today with a lot left in the tank.

Ok, srs answer is because they mimic a real-life movement, so their functional carryover is quite high, they're a compound exercise, and they allow you to handle more weight than either of the other two you mentioned. Again- personal preference. -3X
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Personal preference. And because I hit 375 in them today with a lot left in the tank.

Congrats mate! That's quite impressive since it wasn't that long ago you had 2 herniated discs.
How are they handling it btw? Any pain these days?

Quote:
Ok, srs answer is because they mimic a real-life movement, so their functional carryover is quite high, they're a compound exercise, and they allow you to handle more weight than either of the other two you mentioned. Again- personal preference. -3X

Very true, but the hams alone gets hit harder in rdl's and hypers, right?
Post 40 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Thanks! And yes, the data suggests that they do, although I've yet to see any EMG research directly comparing those movements. -3X
Post 41 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
Which westside do you recommend, for intermediate lifters? I have checked Defranco but there are three parts. I don't have access to box to perform box jumps. Can i do speed squats instead?
Post 42 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
WS4SB 3 is my personal preference. Can you do jump squats with DB? If not speed squats are perfectly fine. -3X
Post 43 IP   flag post
Can you designate exercises for push,v pull,h pull,shoulder h abduction/exter rotation,scapula ret,hip and knee flexion etc.
Post 44 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
A push is anything that moves weight away from your body or protracts the scapula. A pull is anything that brings weight toward your body or retracts the scapula.

If you learn what the rest of those movements are, you can figure out what exercises fit where. -3X
Post 45 IP   flag post
JHughes private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @eknight for writing this.. will help me tons!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
Great info...
Post 47 IP   flag post
zacharyc private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Just to clarify, hitting chest/back for example twice a week doing 10 sets each session is better than hitting chest/back once a week but doing 20 sets in that session?

Thanks and top info as always
Post 48 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes. Since MPS remains elevated for around 72 hours, it's optimal to train body parts with that time frame in mind if you're natural.

Thanks for the kind words. -3X
Post 49 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Just want to see if I'm on the right track here....
Watching all these eric helms video it's just way too much information for me to comprehend so... Do I have to use percentages? And all this numbers to progress?

Am I better off just eating and just using heavier weight each session lol... Just keeping it basic.. I'm just following what you said by "hit the muscle hard and heavy" from another thread.
Post 50 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@TimmothyGen I think at your stage, as long as you're adding weight, that's more important than what % you're using. Great routines like 531 have utilized the "adding 5-10 pounds weekly" method with great results. -3X
Post 51 IP   flag post
cadream private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

Awesome thread, very informative !

So i began your routine and was wondering if dips was considered as a push or triceps movement (because of the activation of the pectoral) ?

Also, planned to do bench press and low incline db one day, and the other bench press and flyes or low incline db again, what do you think ? or can do Bb bench press, low incline db and bb bench and dips the second upper day, and do some db triceps rolling and cable triceps rolling ?

Thanks in advance, and awesome thank you for this useful thread again !
Post 52 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Dips are a push movement.

Either of those options is fine. Try not to get in the trap of overthinking your routine.

Thanks for the niceties. -3X
Post 53 IP   flag post
zacharyc private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight

Hi EK,

Just amending my current workout. How do you advise going about performing all of your 'Day 1' upper body movements. That's a lot of total sets and would take a lot of time in the gym to do?

Would supersetting push and pull movements be ok to reduce time?

Thanks,

Zach
Post 54 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I wouldn't superset, no. There's no reason you should spend longer than an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes with what I proposed on day 1. -3X
Post 55 IP   flag post
340762 178 30
destitute