Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Routine Design for Dummies 1.016702

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@TimmothyGen I think at your stage, as long as you're adding weight, that's more important than what % you're using. Great routines like 531 have utilized the "adding 5-10 pounds weekly" method with great results. -3X
Post 51 IP   flag post
cadream private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

Awesome thread, very informative !

So i began your routine and was wondering if dips was considered as a push or triceps movement (because of the activation of the pectoral) ?

Also, planned to do bench press and low incline db one day, and the other bench press and flyes or low incline db again, what do you think ? or can do Bb bench press, low incline db and bb bench and dips the second upper day, and do some db triceps rolling and cable triceps rolling ?

Thanks in advance, and awesome thank you for this useful thread again !
Post 52 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Dips are a push movement.

Either of those options is fine. Try not to get in the trap of overthinking your routine.

Thanks for the niceties. -3X
Post 53 IP   flag post
zacharyc private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight

Hi EK,

Just amending my current workout. How do you advise going about performing all of your 'Day 1' upper body movements. That's a lot of total sets and would take a lot of time in the gym to do?

Would supersetting push and pull movements be ok to reduce time?

Thanks,

Zach
Post 54 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I wouldn't superset, no. There's no reason you should spend longer than an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes with what I proposed on day 1. -3X
Post 55 IP   flag post

Personally i superset my exercises, but i think that i"ll only superset facepulls and shrugs, and biceps/triceps.

10 exercises without superset will probably take a lot of time, i don't really know. Anyway it's an awesome routine with a ton of useful informations
Post 56 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
IMO, if you can't complete 20 sets in 30 minutes or 40 sets in an hour, you're spending too long between sets. 1 minute rest and go like hell. -3X
Post 57 IP   flag post
I"ll try with shorter rest between sets. Thanks
Post 58 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Hey EK I visted a chiropractor yesterday and I know they aren't the people you go see for this issue but it was 40 bucks for 30 minutes.

I told her my left shoulder hurts and there is tightness in my traps. I also told her that I've been doing band pull aparts and using a baseball to stretch the traps.

She spotted that my left shoulder is a bit raised higher and also told me I looked like a piece of paper from the back....

I know the rule of 2:1 and I've been doing that but is it ok if I took out 1 push session and have 2 pulls and 1 push for a few weeks?
She recommended that I should stop lifting for a few weeks which sounds crazy.
Post 59 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Listen to your doc and/or see a physical therapist, who is more qualified to make recommendations. -3X
Post 60 IP   flag post
Iadtr private msg quote post Address this user
This is a hell of a post! Very informative and helpful. Ill take the template you put in and use the exercises you suggested. I had been doing the traditional bro split of one muscle group a day per week. 😑
Post 61 IP   flag post
@eknight ok so i tried my best to essentially emulate what was said in the first post with the kind of template you gave and "better" excercise choices. this is what i have.
i have 2 of each day but will only post the first days as if its wrong then theres no point to post both.
Upper Day A:
BB bench-4x6
incline db bench-3x8-10
Db shoulder press-3x10
side raises-4x8-10(lacking side delt developement)
Lat pulldown-4x8-10
Pendlay rows-4x8-10
cable row-3x8-10
face pulls-4x8-10(SEVERELY lacking rear shoulder development, was even told by my doc)
shrugs-3x8-10
incline curls-4x8-10
cable tri pushdown-4x8-10

Lower body day A:
Back squats-4x6
hack squats-3x10
bb hip thrusts-3x10
lying/standing leg curls-3x10(lacking ham developement)
calves-3x10 sitting, 3x10 standing
abs
Post 62 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That's not bad. Nothing glaring that I would change. -3X
Post 63 IP   flag post
@eknight thats great! So i will continue with this for a while until i need to change it due to plateus. Thank you very much btw.
Post 64 IP   flag post
jbarr69 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Ek, cheers for this, just wanted to know is it 1 day rest in between each 4 days of training or 2 days rest? Cheers
Post 65 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
1 is aufficient. -3X
Post 66 IP   flag post
Liftamusprime private msg quote post Address this user
First of all this thread is great. I'm actually running this template at the moment and think it's fantastic. I've had a bit of a thought in regards to the third push and pull movements on the upper body days.

Do you think it was be suitable to move these movements to an extra day on their own? So the template would be: upper/ lower/ rest/ upper/ lower/ extra day/ rest. It keeps the overall weekly volume the same while lowering the time spent on the other individual days. This could include extra work for weak areas too (in my case rear deltoids).
Post 67 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You could certain to do that. Do go overboard with volume on these weak areas though if you're already training them twice in the week additionally. -3X
Post 68 IP   flag post
Liftamusprime private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was thinking that and I intended on keeping the load medium to light so that i don't interfere with recovery.

I'll run the original version for a while then try this out. Thanks again.
Post 69 IP   flag post
I know the golden rule of 2:1 ratio and I follow it but my back has no mass I have width like Lats but I look flat from the side. How many rowing movements do you incorporate? I feel like I need a lot of volume for my back like I litteraly have to annihilate my back for a response + a surplus ofcourse.
Post 70 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
If you lack thickness, you should be doing more mid trap work. -3X
Post 71 IP   flag post
What do you think of DUP eknight?
Post 72 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
I know that phat is highly praised but is there other routines that are actually good like phat but different? I usually just do phat/powerlifting I'm too scared to use anything off bodybuilding.com etc for fear of turning bro
Post 73 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm a really big fan of DeFranco's stuff, so WS4SB or Washed up Meatheads routine if you're looking for a 3 day split. -3X
Post 74 IP   flag post
robinxchrom private msg quote post Address this user
I've been doing a 5-6 day split but feel Hitting legs 2x a week would be beneficial so want to move to a 3day split hitting body parts x2 a week.

I'm just wondering would this schedule address my weak points ( i look a bit out of proportion IMO) of poor posterior delts, poor upper back development, shit calves and lagging biceps or is it more for beginners who want to lay a strong foundation?
Post 75 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
This is definitely not a beginner's routine. It is set up in a way that will address proper function and correct strength deficits anywhere you have them over time as long as you're progressing in weight. -3X
Post 76 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight
What is your thought on DUP routine? I tried 531 and your version of westside really enjoyed and saw improvements in my strength.
Post 77 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I haven't used it, so I'll withhold opinion. There's a few logs on it here though. I think maybe @Rand is running it. -3X
Post 78 IP   flag post
I read somewhere you do 20-25 reps for biceps?
My biceps haven't made any noticable progress really going heavy 10-12.

Why 20-25 reps? And how many sets did you do?
Post 79 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
What? -3X
Post 80 IP   flag post
340609 178 30
destitute