Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
1RMBench PressChestSpottingStrength Training

1 rep max bench ?!8681

johon6 private msg quote post Address this user
Right, i need to get my 1 rep max on bench
how do i do this
1) no training partner
2) without crushing my own head on bench when i realise i can't lift it !
3) can i use smith machine
4) how would you work up to it ( sets n reps wise )

Really could do with advice guys !
Post 1 IP   flag post
kospel private msg quote post Address this user
Lol is it really that hard to ask some1 random guy around the gym to spot your lift? I never trained with any partner but by being a social person it's not truly needed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
trumotivation private msg quote post Address this user
Just ask for a spotter, if some one cant take the time to spot you they dont deserve to be in the gym. But worse case senario is smith machine, but it wont be accurate. Not using all your stabilizers. No bragging rights. Before I starting cutting and eating crazy I max'd on bench 375lb and I could get 400lb on the smith but I dont ever claim I did 400lb.
Post 3 IP   flag post
they're all absolute Dicks ! and i mean ALL !

i wouldn't of asked the question otherwise, i would've just gone in Sunday morning n done it !
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
There's not really a safe or accurate way to gauge it without a spotter and lift off guy IMO. The Smith machine is not the same thing. Try and find someone.

In terms of working up to it, if my opener in a meet was 385, I would warm up with:
135x20
225x8
275x3
315x3

This approach works well if you pretty well what you can do. If you have no clue, you may need +/- 1 set of warm ups. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
seriosuly i've tried before @Ek

not 1 person in there is willing to help, they just say sorry got sets to do, and then continue to ''talk'' to there friends
i'm sick of asking, and i know i'll lose my rag !

so i'm pretty screwes in all honesty !!! lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That really sucks. There may be no way to do it then. Your safety is more important. On the flip side, you could buy a day pass to another gym or try going to your current gym at a different time to see if the crowd is friendlier. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
that's the prob, i can only get there certain times, and theyre all a nightmare,

screw it, ima advertise on FB for a spotter ! lol
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gunther private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe you could bring a friend to the gym with you to spot, it wouldn't take a whole bunch of time to do, then you wouldn't have to ask one of those jerks again. That is so rediculous, how can you not help someone else out in a gym, I would spot for my worst enemy!
Post 9 IP   flag post
seriously @gunther they're a joke !!
Post 10 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
@johon6 are you asking to increase it? or just have someone there to figure it out
Post 11 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
Why do you need to know your one rep max? I am assuming you are going to be using it as the starting point for calculating your weights to use for your workout plan. If that is the case just go for a heavy triple with like an RPE of 9.5. That way you know you will still be able to get the last rep clean and then just guestimate off of that. If you are using this a starting point for a loading scheme like I mentioned earlier you can always adjust it up or down depending on how you are handling the training
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Eh, some people just like to know what they can push. As a powerlifter, I can dig that. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
it is so i can calculate percentages etc from my new training plan from RJ

but @ek i'm also very curious to what i can push as it's something i've never done !

deads i know so easy one
squat i gotta find out
military press i know
and bench i gotta find out
Post 14 IP   flag post
simongower private msg quote post Address this user
@johon6 I'm about a 45 minute drive away from Stoke. Just throwing it out there?
Post 15 IP   flag post
where ya from dude ?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Walsall mate
Post 17 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't maxed out since a few years after high school. that's like 18-20 years ago.

Just estimate it. This site seems pretty accurate.
clickable text
Post 18 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Dang man where are yall from? Sounds crazy that no one will spot you. Around here everyone will spot you; Dat southern hospitality.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Swoleanimal UK dude
@wannabemuscular i'll check it out
@simongower ha ! i work in wolves but live in stoke !
Post 20 IP   flag post
@johon6 small world, the gym I go to is in Wolves! Anyways, hit me up if you need a hand.
Post 21 IP   flag post
will do dude for sure !

just mailed the actual gym and put on there page to see if anyone can help ! lol

nightmare man !
Post 22 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@johon6 that's ridiculous... hope you can find someone to gauge your 1RM

If I ask for a spot and someone says no (which is unusual) I just keep asking until I find someone that says yes.
Post 23 IP   flag post
tried that 1, they all just look scared, literally is a gym where people tend to walk around in groups, stand by machines talking, possibly sometimes do a little weight, and then sit in the jacuzzi for an hour !

used to be a good gym years ago when it first opened
Post 24 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
@johon6 WOW, that's retarded! If I were you, I'd ask an employee at the gym to spot you. There has to be some one who would help you out, right? I max out often, I'm just try'n to lift as much as possible to get stronger, seems to be work'n out ok I'd say...
Post 25 IP   flag post
yeah may try one of the staff if a lad i kinda know doesn't go, ( just messaged him on FB to see if he was in sunday morning ) lol
Post 26 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Go to the front desk and be like "just want to let you know I'm going to max out on bench press and since nobody wants to spot me you may find me crushed under the bar over there . . . Just letting you know in case it becomes a liability issue . . . Thanks . . . ".
Post 27 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
What you do is you go to the squat rack and roll a bench over and set up your bench press in the squat rack.

Next set the stop bars to a point where the barbell is able to touch your chest but if you are unable to do the rep the stop bars are just below your chest level and you can lower the bar to around where your shoulders are so that it racks it and you can slide out under the bar.

Hope that makes sense. It works fine and is safe.
Post 28 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
ask a trainer to spot you. Or go at a different time and see if there is someone there to spot you. Different people are at the gym at different times of the day/night. I call BS that you can't find a spotter.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@lvjack ! Now that's an idea !

@haole, what could I possibly have to gain from BS and saying I can't get a spotter ?
It doesn't benefit me, and therefore doesn't need to be said if it isn't true !
@lvjack though, that is a plan !!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340752 32 30
destitute