shredm private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, what do you think about this simple routine :

Ring Dip
Ohp
Squat

Pull up
Row
Curl

I altetnate push and pull every sessions and train at least 3 times a week.
Post 1 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Legs?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
No knee flexion exercise, no ab exercise, no erector spinae exercise, no calf exerise and nothing for triceps long head.
Why limit yourself so much? Sure, keeping it simple is good, but this is extreme.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@TimmothyGen
Well im really into minimalist training and i cant see myself wasting my time with isolation exercices such as abs or triceps, especially since triceps are my best body part from doing only dips for years...
Again doing only squats for lower body seem fine to me but yeah i could do some calfes raises after squats
Post 4 IP   flag post
I have built my upper body with only Pullup and Dip

Of course now i have imbalances lol. Thats why i added to my routines ohp row and curl.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You can tell you only did dips- the long head of your triceps is pretty underdeveloped. If you are truly concerned with functional imbalances, I'd revisit your plan. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hey eknight, i did not know that, can this be harmful in the long run ? Appart from that, how do you find my routines ?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I wouldn't run the routine you set up ever, for the reasons @Rawsteel mentioned. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
@shredm impressive for just dips and pull ups though..
Post 9 IP   flag post
As Timmothy said, that's impressive, but judging from the pics some hyperextensions or deadlifts wouldn't hurt.
And training the core is important, not only will it give you more muscle mass, it will also improve your posture and prevent low back injuries.
So i highly recommend that you start doing hypers, revers hypers or dl's for your erector spinae and give your abs some isometric and dynamic training, like plank or ab wheel and crunches where you stop before the lumbar spine goes in to flexion.
For triceps long head i recommend lying tricepsextensions with full ROM (behind head).
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks guys, the thing is i want to keep my routine really simple otherwise i know i wont stick to it.
I could do:

Ring Dip Ohp Lying triceps ext Squat

Pullup Row Curl Deadlift (or RDL)

but it might be hard to train more than 3 times a week doing that, thought ?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredm
Thanks guys, the thing is i want to keep my routine really simple otherwise i know i wont stick to it.

A few sets of plank/ab wheel and crunches will take around 10 min, it won't make your routine "complicated", heck, you can do it at home 2-3 times a week.
Also, you should read this thread by Eknight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
OP- your idea of simple is not optimal, which has been demonstrated by your current imbalances. It sounds like you want to do what you want to do, which is fine, but you've been given advice already, so changing the way you ask the question isn't going to result in a different answer. If you get bored that easily and that quickly, you might want to revisit why you're training in the first place and what your goals are. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
Haha fair enough, but i still dont understand what my routine is lacking considering my goal wich are simply build a good body and be strong... Ive seen guys with way better develloped body than average gymoers doing routines even more simple than mine, Just look at Martin berkhan for exemple and what he recommend. You should also check yann scoazec on youtube, this guy basically only did Bench Pullup Row and Squat for years, and look at his physique ! Anyway thanks everyone.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You've been told by two different people what your routine is lacking. Not sure how you don't understand. It's functionally inappropriate for your shoulders and knees. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Just look at Martin berkhan for exemple

Martin Berkhan's training method is ineffective and he did not build his physique with it.
The volume in his RPT routine simply isn't enough to fully stimulate the protein synthesis, and to this add the low frequency.
I suggest that you read this, it's one of the biggest studies made about intensity, frequency and volume.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I agree with you Rawsteel and im doing way more volume and frequency but i was talking about exercices selection.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Guys what do you think about this case, very interesting...

https://www.reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/1jjrci/former_berkhan_client_ama
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Not even a little interesting.

Have you read the routine design sticky? -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
Did you read the whole thing eknight ?
I did read the sticky and i wont do a routine with that many exercices, call me a fool but i prefer a minimalist approach even if the results will not be optimal. Im sure with times it will deliver the good, your way is not the only way...
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Why did you even bother to start this thread then? You don't want honest advice, you want someone to tell you it's ok to half-ass a program under the guise of a "minimalist" approach. I'll ask you the same thing I ask everyone who stubbornly insists on creating their own routine- are you a certified or licensed professional with an accredited education in kinesiology or biomechanics? If not, why not take the advice of someone who does. -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
I made this thread to get opinions about constructing a minimalist routine. Obviously i could have turned to a routine similar to your but my goals are simply to build a good upper body and a decent pair of legs. To be honest i dont care about my triceps long head, my upper pecs, my calves, etc.. When i listen to you it sound like this routine will bring me nowhere When in fact a routine simpler than this did gave me results.
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
But clearly not optimal results. What's the point of running a sub-optimal routine? -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
Sure yeah not optimal i give you that. The point is to spend less time training and also because i like the fact that i can concentrate on only few exercices. If i get real strong on Pullup and Row, i probably develop a good back, same for Dips and Ohp for pecs delts and triceps, or am i completly wrong ?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
but my goals are simply to build a good upper body and a decent pair of legs.

A "good" body don't have a ton of muscle imbalances.
If you want to avoid knee, ham and low back injuries you should start training your core and hams like your other muscles, you will regret it in the future if you don't.
I highly recommend this knee flexion exercise since you seem to love bodyweight exercises.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@shredm yes you are completely wrong. Functional strength is more complex than that. Throughout your day are the only movements you make those 4? -3X
Post 26 IP   flag post
@eknight So you are telling me that i wont build muscle on the upper body if i base my training around those 6 exercices. I dont fucking care about having functional strength whatever this mean. Forget it, next time i will ask more open minded people.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
Quote:
but my goals are simply to build a good upper body and a decent pair of legs.

A "good" body don't have a ton of muscle imbalances.
If you want to avoid knee, ham and low back injuries you should start training your core and hams like your other muscles, you will regret it in the future if you don't.
I highly recommend this knee flexion exercise since you seem to love bodyweight exercises.

Thanks, if its safer to include this exercice to avoid injuries on the long run, i sure will.
Post 28 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
good luck with your 4 exercises, you will maximize your minimal muscle gain and you can be happy with that.. /thread over.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@shredm functional strength is the ability to bend over 20 years from now and still pick up and carry things without your knees and shoulders and lower back screaming at you because you ran a nonsense program like the one you proposed.

And of course you don't care about that? Why would anyone ant to be healthy enough to continue training decades down the road or- heaven forbid- be able to pick up hour children and play with them. -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post
340752 79 30
destitute