Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

PHAT modification advice9239

TCorder14 private msg quote post Address this user
What up everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm about to start Layne Nortons Phat training next week and had a question on modification.

I understand it's a training style. Therefore, I would like to tweek it a bit to hit a lagging bodypart of mine, chest.

On the power day, would it be too much to add incline db press for 3x6-8? (I realize that's a hyper rep range, but it's still pretty heavy). The hyper day I will shoot more towards 10-12 reps. I feel like there are a lot of excercises already in the power day, so would you drop one? If so, which?

Also, would it be a waist to focus the dips more towards chest? Or just go with a standard dip instead of a chest variation?

Sorry for the novel.

(I'll get an Avi up when my laptop works again)

-TC
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCorder14

I understand it's a training style. Therefore, I would like to tweek it a bit to hit a lagging bodypart of mine, chest.

You answered your own question my dude.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@NorIda Lol I guess you're right man...I'm just looking for opinions on what I should drop from the power day or if I should drop anything more or less (because I want to do it all) I just can't spend that long training/shouldnt.

Thoughts?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Or, does anyone have a PHAT split they used that emphasized chest more on the power day which they thought worked well? Willing to share?

Thanks
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Why add inclines? Why not just do more sets of heavy flat bench? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight Good question. Just the thought I should hit chest from a different angle, but for me my lower is lagging. So, maybe ill add two drop sets of flat in the 6-8 range after the 3X3-5?

Also, thoughts on dropping stiff leg from the power day and adding normal deads 3X5?

EK you've been on every PHAT thread I've looked at before joining this forum. Glad you replied man, thanks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No problem. I'm not a fan of changing angles much in hopes of developing "parts" of the chest, but that's your call. Re. deads, there's nothing wrong with that- you can handle more weight and still hit your hams pretty hard. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
FWIW, I very rarely do Incline, and my "Upper chest" has grown significantly.

I like the idea of simply adding more volume.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@eknight Awesome, appreciate the advice/input. Looking forward to PHAT on monday.

@NorIda Thanks for the response and input as well.

For either of you...If I had a question regarding diet while on PHAT should I create a new thread?

I want to use it as a clean bulk, being that Im just off a 12 week cut. Planning to eat 400-500 cals above maintenance. Will that be enough surplus to clean bulk with this volume? Opinons,I know everyone is different metabolically speaking.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
If you're coming off a recent cut, I'd advise eating 250 kcals below maintenance for a week (presuming your cut was 500 kcal under); then eat at maintenance for a week; finally, start at 200-300 over maintenance. You generally do not need 500 kcals over for LBM gains- 300 is sufficient. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
@eknight Again, a big thanks man
Post 11 IP   flag post
340768 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute