Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit Advice

Cant do any pull ups for PHAT.7346

DFMaster240 private msg quote post Address this user
heyy guys wazz up, i was planning on starting phat begging of January. i been so fucking excited i got all my lifts up and i been practicing for it got my dips up from 0 to 6!!! but i cant do any pull ups, i can only do like 4-6 chin ups. what should i do???should i not do phat, substitute them or start it when i get my pull ups up to 6 reps.

PS. dont say dony start phat if i cant do 6 pullups!(i am not a beginner, been lfting over over a year)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
You could use the assisted pull up machine, or substitute the exercise. I haven't done PHAT, but IMO I would not substitute pull ups, as they are an awesome exercise.
Post 2 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
You dont need to change your program. It doesnt matter what you use. Just stick to a program that produces great gains to you. You cant do more than 6 reps for pullups because you still need to gain more strength in order to lift your bodyweight. Some people actually started less than the reps your doing. 4-6 reps is a great range to build strength. Just keep doing Pullups and I assure you that you can lift yourself more than what you can do before you know it. Or you can substitute it with a different exercise like pulldowns. Hope that helps.
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Build up your pullups - do however many you can the normal way. Keep a chair or something to stand on close. When you can't to any more clean unassisted pullups, stand on the chair, hold the pullup bar, and let yourself down as slow as you as many times needed to hit your target reps.
Repeat for each set of pullups.
Post 4 IP   flag post
so you guys are telling me to do 4-6 chin ups and after i cant do any do negatives???But what about for wide grip pull ups???negative on those or what?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Building your negatives will make you strong and make you do more reps in the future because of muscle adaptation. Some people starts with close grips because they cant do more reps in wide grips. Its Just a variation of exercise. Both will make you strong whatever you chose if you do them frequently.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
PHAT is just a template. It's not set in stone, so exercises can be substituted in/out. Wide grip lat pulls can be used. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
how come you cant do pull ups?

weigh to much?
Post 8 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
In laynes phat article he says not to go to failure till atleast the 4th week... so maybe negatives arent such a good idea? maybe do 5 pull ups or just substitute with pulldowns... im looking into phat and was wondering about this myself as I can only do 6 too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Millennium1 private msg quote post Address this user
Substitute lat pull downs or rack chins until you gain the strength to do pull ups. Rack chins are my personal favorite.
Post 10 IP   flag post
i guess ill do 3 sets of 4-6 rep chin ups and subtitute wide grip pullups with lat pull down or rack cins.
Post 11 IP   flag post
GGBro private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely go with the lat pulldowns. I was in the same boat as you not too long ago and because of jumping on the PHAT program I can now do weighted pullups. It just takes a bit of time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hamersmash private msg quote post Address this user
@DFMaster

Do u have to do both Chins and Wide Grips??

I've seen/heard/read etc that Close grip is the best as it provides the longest range of motion etc blah blah.

If both are included then yh do your chins as u said and do the wides as Negs - Once u ding about 6 or so wides you'll prolly be able to manage 3 or so full reps with a couple of negs afterwards till u build up to your required amount.

Negatives are the strongest part of your rep for any exercise and used properly can stimulate muscle growth - I particularly found negatives useful when i first started dips and chins etc.

P.S

As Cassious says 'Layne' says 'Don't hit failure till week 4'. Why not?? No point denying potential muscle growth, particularly if u just can't do wide grip pulls right now coz wat, 3 proper negatives may be the equivalent of a normal set??

Weird.

Best of luck bro.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Youngbrah private msg quote post Address this user
I would say PHAT is in no way a beginner routine and you sound like a beginner if you cant do pull ups. Perhaps look at starting strength or an upper lower split to build a solid base first mate
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbrah
I would say PHAT is in no way a beginner routine and you sound like a beginner if you cant do pull ups. Perhaps look at starting strength or an upper lower split to build a solid base first mate

FUCK YOU!!! i already told you i am not doing that shit. i am doing phat. I been working out for 1 year and half and i like lots of volume.sooo and if u can read my mans GGBro couldnt do any at first after phat he was doing weighted pullups.
Post 15 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
@DFMaster240 Hey man regardless you asked for criticism/help. He posted a suggestion for you. There is no need to loose your cool.

If you are not fond of it just ignore it rather than reply with unnecessary temper.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Hahahahs yea I know, I wasn't serious.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Youngbrah private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFMaster240

how is it possible to have trained for 18 months and not be able to do a pull up, am i missing something here?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

how is it possible to have trained for 18 months and not be able to do a pull up, am i missing something here?
IMO.. If you dont do or practice pullups you will never be able to lift yourself more. its like gymnastics. Weightlifters are a lot stronger than them and can lift more than their bodyweight. But since gymnast do more bodyweight exercises its easier for them to do this crazy things that a strong weightlifter cant do. Because a gymnast body already adopt to this things.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrivs49
Quote:
Quote:

IMO.. If you dont do or practice pullups you will never be able to lift yourself more. its like gymnastics. Weightlifters are a lot stronger than them and can lift more than their bodyweight. But since gymnast do more bodyweight exercises its easier for them to do this crazy things that a strong weightlifter cant do. Because a gymnast body already adopt to this things.
THIS!!!!!! a month ago I couldn't do one dip, but after practicing I could easily do 8.
Post 20 IP   flag post
340630 20 20
destitute