Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

PHAT vs Push/Pull/Legs Routine ?? Who wins !7309

FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Looking to change my program at the moment.

Doing a 5 day bodybuilding split at the mo.. all hypertrophy work.

Want to try either PHAT or push/pull/legs.

If u've tried either or even BOTH... let me know what u thought and which u felt u got most progress in terms of BUILDING MUSCLE more so than strength.

Thanks Guys !!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Did PHAT for like 8 months. Tried Legs/Push/Pull for one whole month and did not like going from push to pull (2 upper body workouts in a row). PHAT is king. Back on it 4life
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ramses private msg quote post Address this user
Im currently on push/pull/legs and i love it. Im doing 3 work outs hypertrophy then 3 for strength. Been making gains every single week, but i must admit the push days are a pain if you dont have a workout partner. Its been my favorite split but i guess i havent tried PHAT so im in no position to comment on the differences between the two.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cool.. so thats one each. @Ramses i like that idea of strength(push/pull/Legs then Hypertrophy (p/p/l).. Nice. I have heard people saying if ur going to repeat a program in the same week u gotta change at least one variable and u've gone for reps.

@SRorhrbac0808 I know what u mean when u say putting chest and back.. back to back essentially can be taxing.. maybe push/legs/pull could've worked better for u unless that wasnt an option... i really like d idea of PHAT.. having strength and hypertrophy in the same week.

Obvioulsy ur diff muscles are composed of some fast twitch and some slow.. that program or the suggestion @ramses stated would fire both up.
Great stuff guys keep them coming.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yah bud. If your going to do L/P/P I would DEFF keep volume as low as possible. Like less then 20 sets, I preferred about 15-16 sets. I also did like @ramses and did 3 power, off, 3 hyper, off repeat. But I made sure that I incorporated de-loads as I do with any program. De-loads were a must for me on l/p/p. and phat to hhaha
Post 5 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@FiremanSi

If you do Push Pull Legs and you find you don't like two upper body sessions in a row then do it like Push, Legs, Pull, Rest, Repeat
Post 6 IP   flag post
^that could work. Only think I wouldn't like is doing Deadlifts on leg day and having to do back the day after.

haha Nit picking but I would do Pull/Legs/Push. Just my opinion :p
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dirkenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I too have been thinking about trying L/P/P just for the fact that school takes up so much time and it's hard to get in there 4-5 days a week. I'm going to be doing some researching and weigh out the pros and cons over the next couple weeks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
ive been in the same dilema...dont know which direction to take... bottom line, if ur nutrition is right and u kill it in the gym, you will see results.. both good programs
Post 9 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
I did PHAT for 19 weeks. My progress was insane. It truly taught me how to lift heavy on power days. I would not be where I am w/o PHAT.
Post 10 IP   flag post
soooooo. PHAT IS KING!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!
Post 11 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
PHAT.. Ive just started Phat and i love it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ramses private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Yah bud. If your going to do L/P/P I would DEFF keep volume as low as possible. Like less then 20 sets, I preferred about 15-16 sets. I also did like @ramses and did 3 power, off, 3 hyper, off repeat. But I made sure that I incorporated de-loads as I do with any program. De-loads were a must for me on l/p/p. and phat to hhaha

defiantly this. on hypo days for me its about 16 sets, strength days its more like 12-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Cool.. so thats one each. @Ramses i like that idea of strength(push/pull/Legs then Hypertrophy (p/p/l).. Nice. I have heard people saying if ur going to repeat a program in the same week u gotta change at least one variable and u've gone for reps.

also change some exercises on the days as well. just to keep things interesting.
Post 13 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
both. if you go to the gym you win.
Post 14 IP   flag post
^trueeeee sheiiiit.
Post 15 IP   flag post
ryzymillzy private msg quote post Address this user
pull A
push A
legs A
-
pull B
Push B
legs B

for me... i have no problems going from pull to push, no more than 21 sets each work out. Exercises are obv different in A and B workouts.
Post 16 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
just started Wendler 5/3/1 with a P/P/L pattern and hypertrophy auxiliary exercices like Ogus did! this is the shit imo
Post 17 IP   flag post
Some seriously great advice here.

@alexmuller reckons P/P/L is best for hypertrophy and developing weaknesses & PHAT was best for developing strength gains.

Now if u know this guy he's a BEAST.. so i think i'm swayin to P/P/L for now but its GREAT to know i have a new program to try after that in PHAT.. Can't wait to try both 2013 is gonna be full of ALL KINDS OF GAINS. Might make the first 3days of P/P/L.. slightly diff than the second 3. e.g. strength 3 and hypertrophy 3 or tinker with the exercises and keep it all hypertrophy.
Post 18 IP   flag post
ryzymillzy private msg quote post Address this user
^ thats what i do, its all hypertrophy rep ranges just different exercises trying to up reps or weight every week.
Post 19 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
PHAT made me strong as hell, L/P/P has given me crazy size gains!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
340738 20 20
destitute