Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
I really hate boycotting.

And I'm totally against it.

But what planet fitness is doing is wrong.
Taking out 80% of what makes people go to the gym, and are able to do this out of ignorance from their training population.

Fucking sickening.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
80% of people are not bodybuilders and do not want to be in this kind of environment. They have Gold's, World's, and 10,000 other gyms they can go to. Different strokes for different folks. PF's whole objective is to try and get people healthier; they charge a whopping $10 a month to encourage new members and people who have never worked out before to join. Any company that is striving for overall health is fine by me. Look around your average health club- what % of the people that go there are actually bodybuilders or power athletes? I'd be willing to bet it's less than 20%, yet being able to scream, flex, drop weights, and generally act obnoxious (the things PF is against) make up 80% of why people go to the gym? Smh. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I use PF. Never have any problems although I did set the alarm off once. The staff is generally nice.
Post 4 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
@whatEKsaid. I didnt know that about them! Thats really good of them, It drops the intimidation factor which was big for me when I first started training.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Any company that is striving for overall health is fine by me. Look around your average health club- what % of the people that go there are actually bodybuilders or power athletes? I'd be willing to bet it's less than 20%, yet being able to scream, flex, drop weights, and generally act obnoxious (the things PF is against) make up 80% of why people go to the gym? Smh. -3X


I can agree 100% with the intimidation factor.
It's a problem.

But discriminating against "huge" people, is not the way to go, it's a cop out.


Tho, let's make one point very clear.
When I say 80% of the reason people go to the gym, I am talking about what people actually want to achieve from going to the gym.

Most people want to loose fat and be healthier. This you need 0 seconds in a gym to achieve.
Eat less and jog.

So going to the gym for this reason is a marketing scam. Gyms are making the claim you need them to loose weight or be healthy, well you don't.


The second largest group in the gym want's to build muscle, to look better.

And people want to do this in the fastest possible way.
And that way is using free weights, high frequency, pushing your limits on every workout and giving it your all.

^^ this is what Planet fitness is taking away.
If you can't grunt, how can you push your limits.
If you cant risk slamming the weights from time to time, how can you lift enough weight...


BUT WHY THE FUCK WOULD PLANET FINESS CARE!!!!!!

Their goal is to make money, don't even think for 1 second that they are "promoting health and fitness"

If they can give a person a personal routine that involves only machines and workingout your bodyparts 1 time each week, THEY WILL. AND THEY ARE.

It will make you frustrated, it will take 2-3 times as long to reach your goals.

And all this time, planet fitness makes more money.
Their goal is for you to be there, not to help you.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
"If you can't grunt, how can you push your limits."

Complete garbage. I bench pressed 3 times my body weight and never grunted, dropped weight, or acted like an idiot. I've trained with IFBB pros who do not do these things. Come to think of it, the ONLY people I see doing them are those who need more attention.

If their goal is only to make money, why are they the cheapest- by far- chain of gyms around?

"Their goal is for you to be there, not to help you."

The fact that they want you to be there, and are trying to make their facility more accessible to the masses IS helping people.

Strong broscience from the new guy. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
Ofcourse they are their to make money but what business isnt.

But they are smart about making it cheap and for the masses, I dont exactly know what they are like but it seems like they focus on retention of customers rather than marketing to gain new customers, marketing is way more expensive than retention so they probably get the same profits and can charge their members far less! its a win win for them because when they do marketing they can make out that they are cheap and for the people so they get a really good reputation and more members and more money, constantly growing business!

When I one day make a gym that will be what I will do.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sorry you are getting so butt hurt that you need to need to start calling names.

You seem to think that you know best, and as such everyone should adapt to your own silly ideas of how one should behave in the gym.

I completely agree that some people act like idiots, drop weights from the squat, or grunt, just for attention, and give no mind to other people.

I'm sorry that you and planet fitness cant accept this but some people need to grunt from time to time.
Using your voice to get focused, or it just comes out when you are pressing out of the squat or bench.

This is something that need's to be as it in every gym I'v been in, a CASE BY CASE basis.
If a guy constantly grunts for no reason, the staff or you should politely ask him to better his behavior.

You don't put in regulations that prohibit a great tool for lifting heavy, just because some people want complete quiet in A FUCKING GYM!!!!!!

"The fact that they want you to be there, and are trying to make their facility more accessible to the masses IS helping people."

You never considered why? why they want you to be there.... to make money... there is no other reason.
If you argue for anything else I cant but laugh, that is the most naive standpoint I'v ever heard of.

They do everything they can to get more members.
They block out people that the "majority" doesn't like.
That is wrong, and you can say anything you like on how good it is for the intimidated person.
It's still discrimination.
Post 9 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
@linus some gym owners do actually care about their clients health, aswell as making money to survive.


They need to make money but they are going a honorable way about it, its just a gym for regular people. not super serious lifters.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus

You don't put in regulations that prohibit a great tool for lifting heavy, just because some people want complete quiet in A FUCKING GYM!!!!!!



And this is where you're wrong. Not only CAN they do it, but they DID do it. If you don't like it, don;t train there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus

They do everything they can to get more members.
They block out people that the "majority" doesn't like.
That is wrong, and you can say anything you like on how good it is for the intimidated person.
It's still discrimination.


How is it wrong or discrimination? Want to know about discrimination? Go find a minority or a woman or a gay who was not allowed to move up in their company because of who they were and ask them how concerned they are about PF's "discrimintation." Go ask the 100,000 Japanese Americans that were arrested and locked up into camps in the 1940s not because they did anything, but just because they weren't round eyes how they feel about PF's "discrimintation." The absurdity to which you carried your POV on this topic makes me wonder how you function in society. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
Plus, that blonde bird is fucking fly
Post 12 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassious
@linus some gym owners do actually care about their clients health, just because you don't it doesn't mean others dont.


So I don't care about other peoples health?

I guess that Is why I am here, trying to educate people on how to lift properly, teaching people on nutrition every day.

I do all this 4 free, almost every day, because I don't care?

I will tell you what I care about.
I care about telling people the truth, so they wont be sucked in to magazines myths like I was, wasting their time on routines and diet tips that are all made up from companies, companies such as planet fitness.

I enjoy helping people very much.

And If planet fitness was to, they would educate on nutrition and tell people to loose weight and jog.

They wouldn't fool the 50 year old woman to go to the gym and feed them lies about pushing machines they never need to touch.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
If you enjoy telling people the truth, why have I had to correct so many of your poorly informed posts today? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

How is it wrong or discrimination? Want to know about discrimination? Go find a minority or a woman or a gay who was not allowed to move up in their company because of who they were and ask them how concerned they are about PF's "discrimintation." Go ask the 100,000 Japanese Americans that were arrested and locked up into camps in the 1940s not because they did anything, but just because they weren't round eyes how they feel about PF's "discrimintation." The absurdity to which you carried your POV on this topic makes me wonder how you function in society. -3X


"Discrimination is the prejudicial or distinguishing treatment of an individual based on his or her membership - or perceived membership - in a certain group or category"

I'm sorry if you can't understand why making advertisement that makes a certain group of people look like dumb retarded shitheads that needs to be kicked out is discrimination.

But it is.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
If you enjoy telling people the truth, why have I had to correct so many of your poorly informed posts today? -3X


You have "corrected" me on 1 other post today.

In that post you advised a 113 pound guy to loose additional 7 pounds of body weight.

And you did this without looking at his physic, knowing nothing about him but his body fat %, height, weight and sex.

What if that guy looses those 7 pounds, and drops down to 4% bodyfat.

And walks into a sauna and dies.

Yeah, great advice so far.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
My post, along with your original one I corrected. Where did I advise him to lose body weight? Add this thread to the ones I've corrected you in. The fiber one was the other. News flash- insoluble fiber isn't absorbed by the body and as such provides no kcals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus
If you know the day of the weight in. You can just loose 7 lbs of water weight the day before the weight in.



You CAN, but at 113 pounds to start with, it will have a negative effect on performance. I would seriously advise not trying this.

As a former very light weight strength competitor, my advice is-

* two weeks out, cut your carbs by half and double your protein.
* a week out, begin tapering carbs down to 0g 2 days before weigh ins, while increasing protein and fat to compensate.
* A week out, increase water intake to: 1 gallon Mon/Tues; 1.5 gallons Wed/; 1 quart Thursday; Friday only sip enough to get through the day

You should be able to weigh-in Saturday with no issues or be no more than a pound off. Rehydrate immediately with a quart of Pedialyte, then continue sipping water or Gatorade. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
iLogic private msg quote post Address this user
My new goal is to get that big and walk into planet fitness and troll the fuck out of all the phaggots in that bitch ass place.

and did i hear correctly that you are NOT ALLOWED to grunt or drop weights or make any effort towards lifting at all WTF?!?
Post 18 IP   flag post
iLogic private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
"If you can't grunt, how can you push your limits."

Complete garbage. I bench pressed 3 times my body weight and never grunted, dropped weight, or acted like an idiot. I've trained with IFBB pros who do not do these things. Come to think of it, the ONLY people I see doing them are those who need more attention.


True for Bench Press, but you cant say the same thing about deadlifts...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
My post, along with your original one I corrected. Where did I advise him to lose body weight? Add this thread to the ones I've corrected you in. The fiber one was the other. News flash- insoluble fiber isn't absorbed by the body and as such provides no kcals.


I guess you didn't, my bad.

After reading your post on fiber, it's quite nicely layed out.

Good job.
Post 20 IP   flag post
iLogic private msg quote post Address this user


They banned deadlifting, IN A GYM??


Post 21 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user



^^ what is this world coming to
Post 22 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassious
@linus some gym owners do actually care about their clients health, just because you don't it doesn't mean others dont.


So I don't care about other peoples health?

I guess that Is why I am here, trying to educate people on how to lift properly, teaching people on nutrition every day.

I do all this 4 free, almost every day, because I don't care?

I will tell you what I care about.
I care about telling people the truth, so they wont be sucked in to magazines myths like I was, wasting their time on routines and diet tips that are all made up from companies, companies such as planet fitness.

I enjoy helping people very much.

And If planet fitness was to, they would educate on nutrition and tell people to loose weight and jog.

They wouldn't fool the 50 year old woman to go to the gym and feed them lies about pushing machines they never need to touch.



You have been posting on here since yesterday..

Can you show me a routine planet fitness has prescribed? isn't it usually supplement companies that dribble that shit? or is PF owned or do they own a supplement company?


They dont advise on nutrition? dont they have cardio machines?

Telling people to lose weight and jog doesn't seem like very good advice

1 Helping people lose weight is a bit harder than telling them.

2 Its been shown that LISS only works for 3 weeks or so then the gains stop. HIIT would be beneficial too when the liss stops working, it could be done in a pool if concerned about joint issues.

3 A 50 year old woman who hasn't hit the gym before probably doesn't have the best knees so jogging really isn't going to do her much good.

4 For that 50 year old woman who hasn't been to the gym before, its probably best to be using a weight machine as she needs to keep her bone density up because its been in decline for awhile.

All of those questions were questions and not sarcasm.

Its a gym for people new to fitness, the add I guess was a little discriminating if your a bit sensitive. But these big guys that act like that know they are intimidating and wouldn't even care about this gym, they will be loyal to their own specialized gym.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Amy0582 private msg quote post Address this user
I go to Planet Fitness and so does my husband. We have never had an issue and yes, he even ocassionally grunts. There issue is more with the over the top obnixious people. I have seen one person get kicked out and he was being so rude and obnixious. Yelling, dropping weights for no reason, etc. They kicked him out. He came back another day, they let him have a second chance and he immediately started up again. So he was banned. I don't mind going to a gym where people are generally not obnixious.

The problems I do have with Planet Fitness more have to do with the limited max weights. Some of their locations, though, have higher weights than mine does.

I would also say the goal of any gym is to get your money, not just PF. In addition, whether it takes longer to get to your goals or not seems pretty irrelevant. Once you reach your goal are you planning on quitting the gym?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I think the commercials are hilarious.
And that, is the exact point of them, what commercial are you going to remember? A political one or one that incorporates humor? It's called marketing.
Post 25 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are hilarious too
Post 26 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassious


You have been posting on here since yesterday..

Can you show me a routine planet fitness has prescribed? isn't it usually supplement companies that dribble that shit? or is PF owned or do they own a supplement company?


They dont advise on nutrition? dont they have cardio machines?

Telling people to lose weight and jog doesn't seem like very good advice

1 Helping people lose weight is a bit harder than telling them.

2 Its been shown that LISS only works for 3 weeks or so then the gains stop. HIIT would be beneficial too when the liss stops working, it could be done in a pool if concerned about joint issues.

3 A 50 year old woman who hasn't hit the gym before probably doesn't have the best knees so jogging really isn't going to do her much good.

4 For that 50 year old woman who hasn't been to the gym before, its probably best to be using a weight machine as she needs to keep her bone density up because its been in decline for awhile.

All of those questions were questions and not sarcasm.

Its a gym for people new to fitness, the add I guess was a little discriminating if your a bit sensitive. But these big guys that act like that know they are intimidating and wouldn't even care about this gym, they will be loyal to their own specialized gym.


I don't know, you might be right on some points.

The reason why I am so critical against gyms such as PF, is because it is either ignorant or deliberately setting people back.

You don't need a single machine to achieve any fitness goal you can think of.
(planet fitness biggest selling point is a lot of machines)

The way to get the best results in life, and in gym performance is from free weights.
(Planet fitness puts you on machine programs, with maybe 1 curl as free weight...)

Progressive overload, witch is the key to growing strength and/or muscle, needs a bit of attitude from time to time, to push yourself to do better.
(Planet fitness has a grunt alarm...)

You need to be able to overload to grow
(planet fitness only have weights to a certain degree, and they are happy handing out programs that will never get you past the machines they have)

I think the mindset of the general public is really uneducated, and gyms such as PF is taking advantage of that.
What people need is to but a squat rack, a bench and a barbell with weights.
And as they go along buy dumbbells as well.
This way they can overload and get all the benefits possible, by just reading a few books, taking a few courses and then lifting their but off.

Gym's are really a huge waste of money, if your into lifting for life.

They can fool how many people they want, don't mean I have to like it, or shut up about it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy0582

I would also say the goal of any gym is to get your money, not just PF. In addition, whether it takes longer to get to your goals or not seems pretty irrelevant. Once you reach your goal are you planning on quitting the gym?


Yes
I want to be strong all my life.
So why would I spend my money on a gym membership every year. Instead of just buying a squat rack barbell and dumbbells for myself?

That costs maybe 3 years of planet fitness membership fees.
Post 28 IP   flag post
GettingThere private msg quote post Address this user
ok ok so your upset that they don't want "bros" in the gym. your also saying that they should not be able to ban some groups of people in there gyms? its the exact same principle for social clubs or nightclubs if they don't want you there they don't have to have you.

i am not trying to push anymore buttons but mate you seem really shirty right now and just need to relax.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingThere


i am not trying to push anymore buttons but mate you seem really shirty right now and just need to relax.


It's not like I'm worked up or anything.

I just enjoy discussing topics.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340767 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute