Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are hilarious too
Post 26 IP   flag post
Linus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassious

You have been posting on here since yesterday..

Can you show me a routine planet fitness has prescribed? isn't it usually supplement companies that dribble that shit? or is PF owned or do they own a supplement company?

They dont advise on nutrition? dont they have cardio machines?

Telling people to lose weight and jog doesn't seem like very good advice

1 Helping people lose weight is a bit harder than telling them.

2 Its been shown that LISS only works for 3 weeks or so then the gains stop. HIIT would be beneficial too when the liss stops working, it could be done in a pool if concerned about joint issues.

3 A 50 year old woman who hasn't hit the gym before probably doesn't have the best knees so jogging really isn't going to do her much good.

4 For that 50 year old woman who hasn't been to the gym before, its probably best to be using a weight machine as she needs to keep her bone density up because its been in decline for awhile.

All of those questions were questions and not sarcasm.

Its a gym for people new to fitness, the add I guess was a little discriminating if your a bit sensitive. But these big guys that act like that know they are intimidating and wouldn't even care about this gym, they will be loyal to their own specialized gym.

I don't know, you might be right on some points.

The reason why I am so critical against gyms such as PF, is because it is either ignorant or deliberately setting people back.

You don't need a single machine to achieve any fitness goal you can think of.
(planet fitness biggest selling point is a lot of machines)

The way to get the best results in life, and in gym performance is from free weights.
(Planet fitness puts you on machine programs, with maybe 1 curl as free weight...)

Progressive overload, witch is the key to growing strength and/or muscle, needs a bit of attitude from time to time, to push yourself to do better.
(Planet fitness has a grunt alarm...)

You need to be able to overload to grow
(planet fitness only have weights to a certain degree, and they are happy handing out programs that will never get you past the machines they have)

I think the mindset of the general public is really uneducated, and gyms such as PF is taking advantage of that.
What people need is to but a squat rack, a bench and a barbell with weights.
And as they go along buy dumbbells as well.
This way they can overload and get all the benefits possible, by just reading a few books, taking a few courses and then lifting their but off.

Gym's are really a huge waste of money, if your into lifting for life.

They can fool how many people they want, don't mean I have to like it, or shut up about it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy0582

I would also say the goal of any gym is to get your money, not just PF. In addition, whether it takes longer to get to your goals or not seems pretty irrelevant. Once you reach your goal are you planning on quitting the gym?

Yes
I want to be strong all my life.
So why would I spend my money on a gym membership every year. Instead of just buying a squat rack barbell and dumbbells for myself?

That costs maybe 3 years of planet fitness membership fees.
Post 28 IP   flag post
GettingThere private msg quote post Address this user
ok ok so your upset that they don't want "bros" in the gym. your also saying that they should not be able to ban some groups of people in there gyms? its the exact same principle for social clubs or nightclubs if they don't want you there they don't have to have you.

i am not trying to push anymore buttons but mate you seem really shirty right now and just need to relax.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingThere

i am not trying to push anymore buttons but mate you seem really shirty right now and just need to relax.

It's not like I'm worked up or anything.

I just enjoy discussing topics.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Mikhail private msg quote post Address this user
i deadlift 465 and you can hardly hear the plates when i reset.
you dont have to be loud and obnoxious to push your limits, people who slam the weights down and clack them when resetting deads just annoys me, and they usually lift a lot less than me.

only time i slam weights is DB press because i DB press 120's
Post 31 IP   flag post
Post 32 IP   flag post
TheLion private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if every PF does it but the only reason I don't like them is because they provide their members with pizza and bagels while they are at the gym.. I don't think that is the right message to be putting across in a gym.. Especially when the hardest part for most people is eating right..
Post 33 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_QPjFKqUF8
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassious

You have been posting on here since yesterday..

Can you show me a routine planet fitness has prescribed? isn't it usually supplement companies that dribble that shit? or is PF owned or do they own a supplement company?

They dont advise on nutrition? dont they have cardio machines?

Telling people to lose weight and jog doesn't seem like very good advice

1 Helping people lose weight is a bit harder than telling them.

2 Its been shown that LISS only works for 3 weeks or so then the gains stop. HIIT would be beneficial too when the liss stops working, it could be done in a pool if concerned about joint issues.

3 A 50 year old woman who hasn't hit the gym before probably doesn't have the best knees so jogging really isn't going to do her much good.

4 For that 50 year old woman who hasn't been to the gym before, its probably best to be using a weight machine as she needs to keep her bone density up because its been in decline for awhile.

All of those questions were questions and not sarcasm.

Its a gym for people new to fitness, the add I guess was a little discriminating if your a bit sensitive. But these big guys that act like that know they are intimidating and wouldn't even care about this gym, they will be loyal to their own specialized gym.

I don't know, you might be right on some points.

The reason why I am so critical against gyms such as PF, is because it is either ignorant or deliberately setting people back.

You don't need a single machine to achieve any fitness goal you can think of.
(planet fitness biggest selling point is a lot of machines)

The way to get the best results in life, and in gym performance is from free weights.
(Planet fitness puts you on machine programs, with maybe 1 curl as free weight...)

Progressive overload, witch is the key to growing strength and/or muscle, needs a bit of attitude from time to time, to push yourself to do better.
(Planet fitness has a grunt alarm...)

You need to be able to overload to grow
(planet fitness only have weights to a certain degree, and they are happy handing out programs that will never get you past the machines they have)

I think the mindset of the general public is really uneducated, and gyms such as PF is taking advantage of that.
What people need is to but a squat rack, a bench and a barbell with weights.
And as they go along buy dumbbells as well.
This way they can overload and get all the benefits possible, by just reading a few books, taking a few courses and then lifting their but off.

Gym's are really a huge waste of money, if your into lifting for life.

They can fool how many people they want, don't mean I have to like it, or shut up about it.

Hmm maybe the people that grunt tend to be extroverts and the ones that dont are introverts, It would be a pretty smart business idea to have a area of the gym set out for each type of person.

PF seems to be for people that arent serious and are very ignorant so I can understand your frustration if they do give out shit plans, its the gyms duty to give out good plans and help clients stick to them. The people who go to gyms like this might not be the kind of people that want to read a book about it or even have time (saggy old business men and ladies) so the gym has to do what they are getting paid for!.

I think for the younger members eventually they might feel too advanced for the gym and find a better one. Thats where it comes to contracts, If they are hussling people into 36 month contracts at 25 a week this is BAD (I got hussled when I was 17 by this gym called exodus) I didnt even get the results I wanted! They gave me no advice on diet and helped me with my routine once! So yeah I can see your point about hussling ignorant people, It fuckin sucks!

In the states do they use tricks like making you feel all self conscious about yourself and then hussling you into the big contracts? Im in new zealand and our government is looking into this stuff soon I cant wait for it to stop. I HATE salesmen haha
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion
I don't know if every PF does it but the only reason I don't like them is because they provide their members with pizza and bagels while they are at the gym.. I don't think that is the right message to be putting across in a gym.. Especially when the hardest part for most people is eating right..

Thats so wrong! maybe its to keep members large to then keep them in the gym for longer?
Post 36 IP   flag post
HAHAHAHAHAHA a lunk alarm! its probably louder than the weights!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Amy0582 private msg quote post Address this user
So you're really saying any gym is a waste, not just PF. But why pick on this specific chain? I mean, yes there are faults but it is an affordable, convenient option for a lot of people.

As for the pizza and bagels, I agree this is a bad way to promote fitness but it is only once a month so I guess it's not that bad. Pizza is the first Monday of each month and bagels is the second Tuesday I think. It's not like they do it every day.
Post 38 IP   flag post
340609 38 13
destitute