Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
InspirationPHATProgress UpdateTraining Programs

P.H.A.T. Chicken5848

kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
I started on P.H.A.T. a couple weeks ago and have been really busy but still making it to the gym. I was gonna post this before I started but things happen I guess. I don't normally workout blogs but thought it would give me something to do because I will be out of town for 34 days for work starting next week and will have nothing better to do with my free time than hit the gym, eat, hit the gym, eat, the occasional trip to the movie theater and the SS forum.

I'm 30 years old, started lifting when I was 15 or 16. I was a skinny little guy but loved the pump from working out and the results I started getting. I've always been very active, played lots of sports, and kept a very active lifestyle.

The biggest I've been was 195lbs at 6%BF at 6ft tall. Max lifts are 345lbs BP, 455lb DL, and 455lb squat, all in competition at 195lbs. I injured my shoulder which halted my progress and then a year later injured my foot and ankle. BB movements tend to be difficult on my shoulder so I use mostly DBs. I've lost some size and some strength but consistently gaining it back.

So here's what I got...

DAY 1: Upper Body Strength

Bent-over rows 185x5, 195x4, 225x4
Weighted Pull-ups (45lb) x10, x8
Rack Chins (115lbs) x6, x6
Flat DB Press 105x5, 105x5, 110x5
Hammer Strength seated dips (6x45lb)x10, (6x45lb+2x35lb)x6, x6
Seated DB shoulder press 80x6, 70x8, 70x5
EZ curl 95x7, 95x5, 75x7
Skull crushers 95x7, 95x7, 95x7

Rack chins seemed awkward, I'd rather do pull downs. And I started struggling a bit sooner than expected. But then I'm not used to hitting most my whole upper body at once. Felt pretty good though. Intake is 3500 cals, with lots and lots of carb's.
Post 1 IP   flag post
DAY 2: Lower Body Strength

Squats 275x5, 295x4, 315x4, 315x4
Hack squats 275x10, 315x10
Seated leg extentions (Nautilus machine) 170x10, 200x12
DB Stiff-leg deadlift 70x10, 90x10, 110x10
Leg curls NA
Standing calve raise NA
Seated calve raise NA

I got a phone call from work with an evacuation issue and had to run out and didn't get to finish my workout.
Post 2 IP   flag post
DAY 3: Day off

DAY 4: Upper-body hypertrophy

Rack chins 75x10,8,8
Seated cable row 140x12, 140x9, 140x11
DB row 9015, 95x12, 95x10
Close grip pull-down 120x13,13
Seated shoulder press (HammerStrength) 160x12,12,11
Upright row 85x,15,13
Lateral raises 30x15,12,14

Lots of people in the gym so I had to use the HS for shoulder presses.
Post 3 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
In. You will get swole.
Post 4 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Baha. I came in here expecting a cooking recipe or something! Lol

Phat is an awesome program man!

Best of luck! I'm innnn
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks. Just gotta find my weight/rep range and I'm expecting to see some results as soon as 15 days in.
Post 6 IP   flag post
alexmuller private msg quote post Address this user
Damn looking good man! 195lb at 6% is my goal to compete next year, but doubt I'll get there. Hope you enjoy phat!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Day 5: Lower-body hypertrophy

Hack squats 225x12,14 245x10
Leg press 405x15,15
Leg extensions (Nautilus) 140x17,15,15
Romanian Deadlifts 175x12,12,14
Lying leg curls ?,?
Seated calf raise 90x15,15
Standing calf raises - gym closed
Post 8 IP   flag post
DAY 6: Run day

8 miles. I'm training for my next marathon as well. Last one was the Rock N Roll Marathon in San Antonio a year and a half ago. Just an 8 miler today before I can really get back into it.

I've also been running 4-5 miles twice a week the last 2 weeks in the mornings.

I'm looking forward to running more again because it really seems to help me gain lean muscle when I run.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Been a while but I need to catch up on updates

2 weeks after starting...

Upper-body Strength:

Bent-over rows - 185x5, 195x5, 225x5
Weighted Pull-ups - 45lb plate x 10,10
Lat Pull downs - (Life Fitness) 200x7,7
Flat DB Press - 110x4,4 115x3
Weighted dips - 45lb plate x 10, 75lbs x 10
Seated DB Shoulder Press - 80x6, 70x8,8
EZ curl BB curls - 95x10, 105x8,6
Skull Crushers - NA

Most everything is up. Switched from Rack Chins to Lat Pulls.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Pretty solid strength dude!

IN4MOREUPDATES!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm not going to document Hypertrophy workouts. I'll just leave the progress to measurements from now on.

I've added 2 new goals...

1) There is a record at the gym for most pull ups in 2 minutes. Record is 47. I've been in the 50's in the past with good form. I think I can beat it in a month and get my name on the board.

2) Catch up to @Norla!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
That'd be sweet dude! I'm pretty sure I'd get about 25! haha

Get up on that board!

If I ever go to KY to hang with my Bro-in-law We shall lift together!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Heck yeah dude. Get out here!
Post 14 IP   flag post
He'll be there for another two years at least! I'm bound to get out there at some point!
Post 15 IP   flag post

Don't mind my arse.

I don't have any updated pics at the moment. I haven't changed much though so this is still what I'm starting my PHAT program with.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Solid dude! You're pretty damn lean!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I decided to try a sumo stance dead lift yesterday instead of my normal traditional. I really like the feeling of being closer to the ground when I squat down. The movement felt a little bit awkward at first but not uncomfortable. Just new. I really liked going sumo. Can't wait till next dead lift day.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Well, It's been 4 weeks of P.H.A.T. and I decided to weight in. Gained 7 lbs! I was working a lot up until the last couple weeks. I have a bit more time to myself. It helps when you have nothing left to do but lift and eat. I'm at 178.4lbs now. Not a big number for me. I want to get back in the 190's but the 180's are around the corner. One step at a time.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Yesterday I competed in an Ironman Competition in which I took a very close 3rd place out of 124 other men. It was a 4 miles run with a 35 lbs pack, an obstacle course of 12 obstacles (all upper body), 4 buddy carries for distance, and an 800m sprint to end it. Finished in 54 min's. 2nd place was seconds in front. Some triathlon guy came in 1st place. He killed me in the first 4 miles but I gained ALOT of ground on the super fast runners when the obstacle course came up. All in all it was pretty fun. I ate a ton of food afterwards and same with this morning. Legs are a bit sore so I'm gonna have to skip leg day which was yesterday. But I don't feel guilty.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Latest changes...

DB BP 110x5,4, 115x3
Deadlift 315x6,5, 365x3 - I started including DLs 3 weeks ago. It's been a long time since I consistently did 'em.

And weight is up again from 182lbs at 4.9%BF - So BF is same but an increase of 4lbs in 1 week, 11lbs in 6 weeks. I seem to be gaining weight pretty quick. I'm assuming it's because I've been hitting the gym more due to being away from home and nothing else to do. And I've bumped my cal's up, consistently hitting minimum of 4500 cals when I was at 3500 prior to PHAT.

I'm expecting weight gain to slow down a bit. When that happens I'm going to adjust PHAT slightly.

I'm very interested in my measurements but I don't have a measuring tape at the time. It is back at home. I'll get my new measurements up in a week.

All-in-all P.H.A.T. is definitely working very well for me so far. Thanks for your support everyone.
Post 21 IP   flag post

I took these on my computer today. I really didnt want to wait a week to see. Back is thickening up well. My two focus points are shoulders and legs.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Good progress, but you're not 4.9% bodyfat
Post 23 IP   flag post
Mistype. It's 5.9 % with calipers. Just under the 6% mark. And 8.42% with the math. Skin fold tests are always +/- 4%. I'd like a hydrostatic test someday but I'm not too worried about it. 181 lbs with a 30in waist.

(181x1.082)+94.42 = 290.262 Formula #1
32x4.15 = 124.5 Formula #2
290.262-124.5 = 165.762 Formula #3
181x165.762 = 15.238
(15.238x100)/181 = 8.41878453 or 8.42%

If my math is wrong or is my formula is inaccurate let me know.

Also, the pics in funny light, I'm very white, and I'm not very pumped at all for comparison.

I'm pretty vascular.
Post 24 IP   flag post
340769 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute