Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

How much should I lower the volume on PHAT?5514

Jordan336 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been lifting 6 months and was thinking about doing PHAT just with lower volume, how much should I lower it by?
Post 1 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
why do you want to lower the volume ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Because I'm still quite new to lifting, I wouldn't be able to handle the volume, it's almost twice of what I do now lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Well PHAT is not a set routine its a system. Ive used it to create a 4 day split; My arms grow pritty easy so i do less work with them so altogethet I do upper/lower power upper/lower hypertrophy
Post 4 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
Stuff your vagina back in your panties and get after it bro. Lower volume? Slap yourself. You should up the volume.

Jk on that last one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
How many sets do you do for each muscle? I wanted to make it into an upper/lower
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3065
Stuff your vagina back in your panties and get after it bro. Lower volume? Slap yourself. You should up the volume.

Jk on that last one.
lool
Post 7 IP   flag post
3 sets on strength, 2 sets for the rest
Post 8 IP   flag post
Would this be enough volume for each muscle?
Lower Power
Squat 4x3-5
Stiff legged deadlift 3x5-8
Standing calf raise 3x6-10
Seated calf raise 2x6-10
Weighted crunch 2x8-12

Upper power
Bench 3x3-5
Row 3x3-5
Shoulder press 3x6-10
Weighted pullups 2x6-10
Skull crushers 2x6-10
Barbell curl 2x6-10

Lower Hypertrophy
Squat 4x8-12
Stifflegged deadlift 3x8-12
Standing calf raise 3x8-12
Seated calf raise 2x6-10
Weighted crunch 2x8-12

Upper Hypertrophy
Bench 3x8-12
Row 3x8-12
Shoulder press 3x8-12
Lateral raise 2x8-12
Weighted pullups 2x8-12
Skullcrushers 2x8-12
Barbell curl 2x8-12
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarronStenner
3 sets on strength, 2 sets for the rest
So you do everything for 3 sets on strength days and 2 sets for everything on hypertrophy days?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I think I might just do it how it's set out just take out an exercise for each muscle group
Post 11 IP   flag post
it depends what suits you tbh mate
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarronStenner
it depends what suits you tbh mate
Do you think I would still progress only take an exercise out for each muscle mate? I would be doing around 6-8 sets for each muscle a week
Post 13 IP   flag post
you will still make progress. I can gurantee it
Post 14 IP   flag post
Sweet! do you think it matters if I go to failure a few times a week? I have a hard time gauging failure on some exercises
Post 15 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Decrease the exercises.

I have my brother on phat and hes new to lifting.

I gave him like 4 or 5 exercises i forgot instea of all 8 or 9 .

Cant rememer but just remove exercises and add when needed. Make sure ur compound r in tho.

I also removed leg hypertrophy and replaced that with restday forhim.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Actually he is doing leg hyperteophy nvm. I forgot. This is the email i sent to my brother. My exact words. Phat is a system and i modified it to fit him..
Post 17 IP   flag post
hypertrophy days make sure ur form is 100%. Really feel the burn and muscle mind concentration.  dont worry about increasing reps or weight, but at ur level u should be increasing by a rep atleast... but for me, i dont increase on the hypertrophy days, only sometimes because i dont worry about it. i focus on form 100%. i go extra slow and feel the burn.

on power days. move the weight . form doesnt need to be good. u dont need to go so low on ur dumbbell chest press.  and  Gently dropping heavy weights back on the floor is just asking to be injured. That awkward phase between getting the weights down from ready position back on the floor gently is a great way to fuk up your shoulders.
Once you're done, you drop the weights, don't throw them, just drop them and make sure they don't roll away. Easy. move the bench around to make sure u have ur space. and if anyone says anything just say ur not going to get an injury just to place them down softly. get headphones if u dont want hear it. no1 ever says anything to me because im bigger than 90% of the people that i see in the gym. and the 10% that is bigger than me drops the weights when they go heavy cuz they understand. except for a few of them i see dont. drop em. 

and learn to squat.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137815533

do these till ur flexiblity is down.
learn to eat nutriously and count ur macros and drink lots and lots of water. and dont rely to heavy on whey protein. try to get 50% whey protein from ur diet. and 50% from food(greek yugurt, milk, meats.. etc.)

Lastly, u will see not see any results till ur diet/sleep is down. u grow in ur sleep. getting 4 hrs of sleep may work for someone who doesnt workout. u may not be tired, but ur body releases all ur testosterone and growth hormones when u sleep.  u need to decide what u want. u want to look like u dont workout, then eat like someone who doesnt workout. u want 10 minutes of pleasure from eating doritoes, or want a body that lasts u forever. eat like a average american, look like an average american. its that simple.

if it was easy. everyone would be swole. u cant just eat normal then go to the gym for an hour an expect results.  diet is everything.

and if ur missing workouts ur just going to get fat. all the calories surplus will turn into fat. and if ur eating to dirty, those are empty calories and will be fat. u cant build muscle from poptarts or candy or ice pops. or fruit loops ceral. it doesnt work that way.

dont go to failure for 2-3 weeks. and then even then. dont go to failure on ur power days till the last set. ur just going to burn ur CNS out and u will be tired and unmotivated.

only hypertrophy days u can go to failure on each set. but not till 3 weeks+ and learn to warm up properly. and stop smiling like a complete faggot thinking something is funny when really the joke is on u. leaving a 10lb dumbbell on the floor like a fucking douch bag. then the gym staff is going to see that ur a douche bag and yell at u for grunting or dropping the weights. instead of letting it slide like they do for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_MzRbZDJ8
do this every day  except leg day ^ u need plates at ur level. just do with ur hands.
warm up with 50% of ur weight.  before each exercise to.

Day 1: Upper Body Power Day

Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups
3 sets of 6-10 reps
Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses
3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips
3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls
3 sets of 6-10 reps
Day 2: Lower Body Power Day

Pressing Power Movement: Leg Press
3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance pulling/curling movement:  lying leg curls
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

Hypertrophy pulling movement: Incline Dumbbell rows
3 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns
3 sets of 15-20 reps
POWER shoulder movement: SEATED Military barbell Press 6-10 reps. for 3 sets.(take 5-6min rest per set)
Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright rows
2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises Machine
3 sets of 12-20 reps
Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses
2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions
3 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls
2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises
3 sets of 15-20 reps
Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press
3 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy fly movement: Peck Deck
3 sets of 15-20 reps

Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls
2 sets of 12-15 reps
standing dumbbell curling exercise:
2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment
2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy extension exercise: skull crushers10-15 rep range. 3 sets
Day 7: Rest
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks! that's basically what my routine looks like now does it matter if I go to failure once or twice each session? I try my hardest not to but failure to me is hard to gauge sometimes
Post 19 IP   flag post
once or twice a week to failure; shy of a few reps before your like fuck i cant do anymore
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Jelet I can critize one thing. Form is a must even on power days. If your lifting heavy weights and your form is of, your looking for an injury
Post 21 IP   flag post
Read my post better. By form i ment rom too, going down to low with perfect form is just askin for injury. And power day is about moving the weight.so cheat with ur body if u need to when doing tbar rows etc.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Theres a big difference in form on hypertrophy days and power days.

On hypertrophys sometimes i take like 8 seconds PER REP just to get that extra slow burn and then i pause at the bottom..

Hypertrophy days u want to focus on form , real good.

Power days if u do this, u wont make muchbpeogress and will get injury

No body does this ... Go look at layne norton vids of him going heavy tbar rows. Look how he uses his body etc.

Look at people pressig 150lb db chest press... They dont go slow as fk . Thts not gonna get u strong.
Post 23 IP   flag post
340621 23 23
destitute