Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum

Need help, lifts keep stalling on cut, over and over?!19332

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
What's up Guys!

I have been cutting for several months now and and have dropped almost 20lbs. But in the gym all my lifts have stalled and I cant seem to progress past a certain strength on each lift?
I cant get past a 175lb bench, 115 ohp and 155 bent over row. I have dropped the weight after stalling and worked my way back up slowly, but I always get stuck on these numbers once I reach it again.

I follow a structured beginner program and i'm in only a 20% calorie deficit, with tracking calories.

This was my initial thought....that I have reach the maximum neural adaptation and need to build muscle in order to progress past these weights, therefore I need to be in a surplus.
Do you guys think this could be a possibility.

I wanted to know why I keep stalling once I get to these numbers over and over again on this cut?
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
My initial thoughts would be :

Why are you cutting for months on end after losing 20lbs?

How is your form?

What beginner program are you running. Simple progressive overload. Pick shit up, set it down.

It's possible to gain strength on a cut, and those numbers are far from impressive, so there's no way that's as strong as you can get.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
My initial thoughts would be :

Why are you cutting for months on end after losing 20lbs?

How is your form?

What beginner program are you running. Simple progressive overload. Pick shit up, set it down.

It's possible to gain strength on a cut, and those numbers are far from impressive, so there's no way that's as strong as you can get.

Because despite losing 20 lbs I am still around 21% bodyfat. I started at like 25%, Ijust don't understand how it so fucking hard getting under 20% bodyfat for me, I barely lose inches of my waist.

My form is great, I am always aware of my form and never use improper form.

I am currently running icf 5x5, it just a simple 5x5 with some accessory lifts, it uses simple progressive overload.

I don't understand why I cant surpass the listed strengths on those lifts, even after multiple resets and working my way back up.

Any advice brah?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yeags private msg quote post Address this user
Why worry about cutting you need to worry about getting stronger.
It’s harder to get stronger on a cut.unless you competing get strong first then cut...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeags
Why worry about cutting you need to worry about getting stronger.
It’s harder to get stronger on a cut.unless you competing get strong first then cut...

Tell me about it bro!
But is it really a good idea if I start bulking now, at 20% bodyfat? Though I do look thin in clothes, I'd end up even fatter.

I'm gonna drop a truth bomb which may seem kinda embarrassing, but fuck it.... I have been cutting for around 3 years now. Its hard to explain but i'd start cutting get to 20% bodyfat then get injured and get fat again from not lifting and eating like shit, then start to cut again.

I haven't been on a proper lean gain phase in 3 years. But the thought of getting even fatter is unsettling.

Cant imagine how fucked up my hormone,thyroid levels must be now from being in a deficit for so long then followed by junk food binges, then repeat.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yeags private msg quote post Address this user
You have to build a good base before cutting or you’ll have no muscle to see. Get your diet in check and you won’t have to worry about getting fat. I think your over thinking. If you’ve been lifting seriously for at least three years your numbers should be way more impressive. Go get your hormone levels checked maybe you do have a problem...
Post 6 IP   flag post
frame private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I've noticed my lifts also kept stalling on cut, but apparently it is just due to overreaching with volume and poor sleep/recovery as a result. To drop off excess body fat - suggest to lift on maintenance for some time or close to maintenance/slight surplus ~150-200 cals mby on workout days and give body enough rest in between workouts as you feel rest is needed, you have to sleep well, if sleep quality worsens it is imo first indicator of overreaching with training and not recovering later on. As your body composition changes on close to maintenance calories/slight surplus ~150-200 cals mby on workouts days and reaches about 12-15% BF suggest to go on bulk with very low surplus like up to 300-400 cals over maintenance or so for a very long time with cuts in between if you feel reaching to abt 20 % body fat. On off days also suggest to do cardio like cycling or any other type for up to 40-60 mins.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dorich private msg quote post Address this user
Everyday we stray further from God.
Post 8 IP   flag post
frame private msg quote post Address this user
Calling Jesus from this forum
Post 9 IP   flag post
LiftingLawyer private msg quote post Address this user
Try 531 Wendler.....will leave those numbers a distant memory..this will work very well at your stage. Good luck
Post 10 IP   flag post
LiftingLawyer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorich
Everyday we stray further from God.

Put your top back on then and get out of the ladies dressing room
Post 11 IP   flag post
340512 11 11
destitute