Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum

Purely building muscle---How to lift?19254

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
What's up guys!

I am kind of confused as to how I should workout, since there are different ways for different goals.
My main goal is purely building muscle, and I do not care for strength gains at all....Shocking I know! But due to certain injures I'm unable to do two major compound exercises, but that's a long story.

I ask this because on the bench press I can take 200lbs and reach failure on the 10th rep. And then If I lift half that weight but focus contracting the chest, I reach failure on the 10th rep as well with 50% of that weight, only this time my chest is fatigued and pumped versus before when I hardly felt the muscle.

But when I lift without focusing on the muscle, I can progress in strength much faster than when I lift focusing on the muscle, which has a slow strength progression.

My question is for purely building muscle should my reps be done in a slow controlled manner, really focusing on stretching the muscle and contracting it? Or should I be lifting in a power lifting manner where I lower the weight a bit faster and try to explode up without much thought of the muscle, with good form of course?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Progressive overload !!!
Balanced program !!

Also focusing on contraction(aka Tempo Bench) is a different exercise than T&G Bench..

What are ur injuries exactly ??
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Progressive overload !!!
Balanced program !!

Also focusing on contraction(aka Tempo Bench) is a different exercise than T&G Bench..

I get progressive overload is key bro but how should I be lifting if muscle mass is my key goal? Should I be focusing on muscle contraction or T&G on lifts, to progress on?

I am able to progress in strength on T&G lifts much faster than lifts focusing on contracting targeted muscle. But I feel the muscle being worked on the latter better, and I’m not going for strength either.

I have this rare condition called bipartite patella, where as a growing kid your separate knee caps are suppose to fuse together, but mine stayed separate. This make me very prone to injuries, which is true because ive had a major knee surgery on my right knee, slightly torn mucles on left, as well as a fracture.

I cannot do any excercises that require my knees to bend past a certain degree; squats, deadlifts, leg Press etc.

....Shit fucking sucks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Progressive overload !!!
Balanced program !!

Wait, hold up...what?! How, both lifts work the chest, triceps and shoulders?
Post 4 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@forgottenpass block sumo pulls ?? Rack pulls ?? I’d do these for sure !!

U feel it more because ur likely hittin more time under tensions...
But ur not trying to pick one exercise for life..
Do them both... barbell t&g and dumbbell tension based presses.
Also if u had to chose u can do 1/mesocycle and rotate them.

If u look up Omar isuf’s bodybuolding program he developed with Alberto Nunez through his coaching company Kizen.
That’s where I would go for a current BB based program.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
@forgottenpass block sumo pulls ?? Rack pulls ?? I’d do these for sure !!

U feel it more because ur likely hittin more time under tensions...
But ur not trying to pick one exercise for life..
Do them both... barbell t&g and dumbbell tension based presses.
Also if u had to chose u can do 1/mesocycle and rotate them.

If u look up Omar isuf’s bodybuolding program he developed with Alberto Nunez through his coaching company Kizen.
That’s where I would go for a current BB based program.

Good point man!
I've been thinking of doing a split like that, where I have heavy low rep days then, another day with higher rep work.

Oh shit, totally forgot about rack pulls, thanks! These are great for me since they don't require much knee flexion!
Post 6 IP   flag post
340166 6 6
destitute