Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingIntroductionTraining Programs

Returning to sport17747

oj205 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

This is my first ever posting, so bear with me!

I used used to play a fairly high level of rugby but had to stop due to injury/working on a Saturday about 5 years ago.

I have found out my work commitments have changed as of September and am keen to get olaying again but have no idea where to start in the gym. I am fairly experienced but am now unsure of how long to spend on each phase of training. It used to be easy as we would concentrate on bulking in preseason before concentrating on strength and power.

I now have a 7 month pre season and dont know how long to bulk for before concentrating on general fitness, strength and power/speed.

I need to put on weight (I'm 6ft1 83kg and my playing weight was 103kg) but keep my speed (I ran the 100m in 11.07 when playing now I have no idea!).

I am a winger/fullback if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advanve for any advice.

Oli
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I would focus more on Rugby specific drills as opposed to work in the gym. (Might mean hiring a private coach or catching on with a team to train.)

And of course a calorie surplus if you want to regain the 20KG you lost... although I would focus more on getting into "game shape" so the conditioning will make it harder to bulk.

Still I understand 7 months is a long time and it could be helpful to supplement your training with time in the gym. I'm not sure what's wrong with this approach:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj205
It used to be easy as we would concentrate on bulking in preseason before concentrating on strength and power.
Post 2 IP   flag post
340769 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute