Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Not sure what to do17703

max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
I been trying to stick with stronglifts, but the frequency is taking a toll on tendons. 36 years old lol. What could be my other options
Post 1 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Wannabe is older then you and he reps with 600. Legend has it when there's an earthquake it's just him taking a shit. I don't know the science behind it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickFromOmaha
Wannabe is older then you and he reps with 600. Legend has it when there's an earthquake it's just him taking a shit. I don't know the science behind it.

Ya I used to race motor cross so I have a lot of old injuries. Just wondering if a upper/lower would be better or even a p/p/l m/w/f
Post 3 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@max12480 you're gonna have to squat twice a week on other programs. Why don't you run strong lifts with 2 days between each working day or work actively on your mobility.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
@max12480 you're gonna have to squat twice a week on other programs. Why don't you run strong lifts with 2 days between each working day or work actively on your mobility.

What about running a push pull with adding squats on push day and tuning it m/w/f
Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@ErickFromOmaha You funny funny man! Hahaha.

@max12480 Dude, I'm 42. I'm lucky I don't really suffer from any nagging injuries or general "old man syndrome".

You might look into a basic Push/Pull/Legs routine. That way you give each bodygroup more opportunity for recovery between sessions. Check the two stickie threads at the top of the list on the main page. Lots of good info there.

What are your goals anyway?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular

@max12480 Dude, I'm 42. I'm lucky I don't really suffer from any nagging injuries or general "old man syndrome".

You might look into a basic Push/Pull/Legs routine. That way you give each bodygroup more opportunity for recovery between sessions. Check the two stickie threads at the top of the list on the main page. Lots of good info there.

I am looking to put on some more muscle. I weigh 190 I would be happy around 200. But I only have 3 days a week to lift. That's why I was wondering if a p/p/l m/w/f would still work or more of a push/pull to still hit everything around 1.5 times
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:

Do you know of a good 3 day p/p/l for size
Post 8 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
So go with upper/lower that way you'll get a little more frequency on each muscle group.

Size will come with consistency and calories.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
So go with upper/lower that way you'll get a little more frequency on each muscle group.

Size will come with consistency and calories.

Would I be ok doing a p/p/l m/w/f for now to take a break from the frequency or will I not make any gains
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
DeFranco's Washed-up Meathead routine is solid and fits your schedule: https://www.t-nation.com/training/defrancos-training-rules-for-washed-up-meatheads -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
DeFranco's Washed-up Meathead routine is solid and fits your schedule: https://www.t-nation.com/training/defrancos-training-rules-for-washed-up-meatheads -3X

That looks good has anyone done it and got good results
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

Is that better than a ppl?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
One isn't any "better" than the other. Just different means to an end. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
One isn't any "better" than the other. Just different means to an end. -3X

Ok I found two routines I like the looks of ones a p/p/l from tom mutaffis and the other is u/l from aworkoutroutine. Which one of these would I be better off with
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Since you didn't post the routines, how can anyone answer that question? -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Since you didn't post the routines, how can anyone answer that question? -3X

Deadlifts (3 sets)
- Chins (3 sets)
- One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
- Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
- Barbell Curls (2 sets)
- Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
- Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
- Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
- Dips (2 sets)
- Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
- Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
- Side Laterals (2 sets)
- Pushdowns (2 sets)
- Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
- Squats (4 sets)
- Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
- Walking Lunges (2 sets)
- Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
- Calf Raises (3 sets)
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Muscle Building Workout Routine

Are you an intermediate or advanced trainee looking to build muscle mass fast? If so, welcome to the program I simply call The Muscle Building Workout Routine.

The Muscle Building Workout Routine is the completely FREE weight training program that I recommend most often to people looking to build any amount of muscle mass as fast as possible.

This workout routine is designed to work for both men and women, young and old, people looking to build a significant amount of muscle and get “big” or build a small amount of muscle and just get “toned.”

Basically, if you’re past the beginner’s stage and your primary goal is building muscle or improving the way your body looks in virtually any capacity, this program is for you.

Now let’s get down to the details…

The Schedule

The Muscle Building Workout Routine uses an upper/lower split, which is the split most often used and recommended by literally every single expert whose opinions I value (as opposed to the drugged up genetic freaks whose opinions are meaningless).

The big reason the upper/lower split gets so much love is because it allows for each muscle group/body part to be trained to some degree between once every 3rd and 5th day depending on the specific split variation you choose (more on those in a second).

And, as I’ve previously explained, this workout frequency of about-twice-per-week is what is scientifically proven to work best for building muscle for anyone past the beginner’s stage.

So, let’s take a look at the 2 most common versions of the upper/lower split…

Upper/Lower Split: 4 Day Version

Monday: Upper Body A Workout
Tuesday: Lower Body A Workout
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Upper Body B Workout
Friday: Lower Body B Workout
Saturday: off
Sunday: off
In this 4 day version, each muscle group gets trained once every 3rd or 4th day, which is right within the ideal frequency range for building muscle mass at the optimal rate.

While this specific template is probably the most common (people like having weekends off), the exact days you choose really doesn’t matter as long as the same 2 on/1 off/2 on/2 off format is kept intact.

Upper/Lower Split: 3 Day Version

Week 1

Monday: Upper Body A Workout
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: Lower Body A Workout
Thursday: off
Friday: Upper Body B Workout
Week 2

Monday: Lower Body B Workout
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: Upper Body A Workout
Thursday: off
Friday: Lower Body A Workout
In this 3 day version, each muscle group gets trained once every 4th or 5th day. While it is just slightly less frequent than the 4 day version, it’s still perfectly within the ideal frequency range for building muscle mass at the optimal rate.

And once again, while this template is usually the most common, the exact days you choose doesn’t matter at all as long as the same 1 on/1 off/1 on/1 off/1 on/2 off format is kept in tact.

Now Select Your Version Of The Upper/Lower Split

So, those are the two scheduling options for The Muscle Building Workout Routine. All you need to do is pick one.

They will both work perfectly, so you honestly can’t go wrong with either version. Just pick the one the seems best for you, your preferences and your schedule.

If you need help deciding, check out my more detailed breakdown of both versions here: upper/lower split.

(NEW: Two additional versions of the upper/lower split are now included in the expanded version of this routine, which is only available in Superior Muscle Growth. One of those new splits is my favorite of all.)

The Workouts

Just like most weight training programs built around the upper/lower split, The Muscle Building Workout Routine divides everything up into 2 different types of workouts.

One will train your entire upper body to some degree (chest, back, shoulders, biceps, and triceps), and one will train your entire lower body to some degree (quads, hamstrings, calves, and abs as well).

You will then do 2 (or about 2) of each workout per week depending on exactly which variation of the split you decide to use (again, either will be perfect).

So, let’s take a look at the workouts…

The Muscle Building Workout Routine: Upper Body A

Bench Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.
Rows
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Incline Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.
Lat Pull-Downs
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Lateral Raises
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
1 minute rest between sets.
Triceps Press-Downs
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Dumbbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
The Muscle Building Workout Routine: Lower Body A

Romanian Deadlifts
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Leg Press
3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Leg Curls
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Standing Calf Raises
4 sets of 6-8 reps.
Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.
The Muscle Building Workout Routine: Upper Body B

Pull-Ups
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Barbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Seated Cable Row
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Flyes
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Barbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Skull Crushers
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The PPL is definitely not one I'd run. The upper/lower is better, but still needs a bit more back work. -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
The PPL is definitely not one I'd run. The upper/lower is better, but still needs a bit more back work. -3X

Ok So go with the upper/lower and add more back work?
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Between those two, yes. -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Between those two, yes. -3X

Or

Upper A
Bench 3x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Bent Over Rows 3x8
Curls 3x10/Reverse Flies 3x12 Superset

Lower A
Squats 3x5
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8
Leg Press 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Ab work 3x15/Calf raises 3x12 Superset

Upper B
OHP 3x5
Flies 3x10
Pullups 3x8
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Face Pulls 3x12/Tricep pressdowns 3x10 Superset

Lower B
Front Squat 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Leg Extensions 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Ab work 3x15/Calf Raises 3x12 Superset
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
My thoughts about general routine set-up are outlined in the stickied "Routine Design for Dummies" thread. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
My thoughts about general routine set-up are outlined in the stickied "Routine Design for Dummies" thread. -3X

Ok I did read that just not good at making a program
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think I will do upper/lower any suggestions on a good one will be appriciayed
Post 25 IP   flag post
Bump
Post 26 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@max12480 I've ran tonnes of different programs and loads of ppl variations but PERSONALLY more frequency and relative high volume is best for growth.
If ur only working out 3times a week. i'd squat 2-3times, deadlift 1-2 (Second being a variation at least) and bench 3times.. then fill accesories with plenty of back work.. fuck around with arms if u want with more emphasis on triceps.
Post 27 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@max12480 yes I think you're overthinking the "routine". Better to pick something that you can do consistently.

StrongLifts seems like the workload would be significantly less than other alternatives you posted... Not sure why you would switch unless you wanted something more advanced.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
@max12480 yes I think you're overthinking the "routine". Better to pick something that you can do consistently.

StrongLifts seems like the workload would be significantly less than other alternatives you posted... Not sure why you would switch unless you wanted something more advanced.

its more of a mental thing. I just wasnt into the 3 times a week frequency full body style, i would of never known unless i tried though. i feel like i work harder when there is more of a split up of exercises
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
So it had nothing to do with your age or tendons? -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 37 30
destitute