Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestPower Lifting

Slingshot appreciation thread17096

Robinson252 private msg quote post Address this user
Who here owns a slingshot and, like me, thinks they're the best and most fun thing to use ever?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
I still dont own one just because shipping prices are fking stupid here. I would buy anything from Mark just to support him and his channel.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
I personally see it as nothing more than a gimmick, but hey, I've not tried one so I may be way off base. Just seems to do the same job as bands hence why I won't be buying one at least until I've tried one first.
Post 3 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
I like mine.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@WinnersNeverQuit there are a few things different about the slingshot compared to bands.
Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I have one. I've used it only maybe 4-5 times, but it is fun. Even if it is similar to bands it can be a good tool for someone who has no way to hook up bands where they train.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular it also teaches people how to properly bench by forcing them to tuck there elbows.

@WinnersNeverQuit I don't really see how it's a gimmick? It does everything it claims to do lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone who has bands can simply wrap them around their upper arms just above the elbow and get the same effect. Not sure why it's such a huge deal. I agree with @WinnersNeverQuit. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight well it's simple, folds up easy, does what it's supposed to, and comes in different sizes just like bands. It's just another product you can buy to make that .01% difference. I don't own one, but I've used them and they really do teach you correct bench technique and it teaches good habits. I think it's worth $40.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
But what can it do beyond and above what bands can do? if you can already do what the slingshot can do by using equipment you already have, I guess I'm missing why you'd spend money on it. That's what a gimmick is-
a device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business. It doesn't do anything more than what other equip already can do, thus it's a gimmick, IMO. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Wrapping with a band wouldn't be the same. It's a lot more uncomfortable, bands are too long so you would have to wrap it multiple time. If you had ideal bench technique and had access to bands, would it be worth it? Not at all. But we all know most people do need help with form. Plus like wannabe said, a lot of people bench in a normal bench and not in a rack, so they can't do reverse bands.
Post 11 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
I like my slingshot. I don't think I'd make a slingshot appreciation thread but I like it lol.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickFromOmaha
I like my slingshot. I don't think I'd make a slingshot appreciation thread but I like it lol.

I do agree with that lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Wrapping with a band wouldn't be the same. It's a lot more uncomfortable, bands are too long so you would have to wrap it multiple time. If you had ideal bench technique and had access to bands, would it be worth it? Not at all. But we all know most people do need help with form. Plus like wannabe said, a lot of people bench in a normal bench and not in a rack, so they can't do reverse bands.

I've used both a band wrap approach and the actual slingshot. I could not tell a significant difference. Certainly using bands was not uncomfortable. My gym also has bands in multiple sizes, so there wasn't a need to double wrap them, although when I double wrapped at my previous gym there was no discomfort.

I'm glad that many of you have found a tool that is useful and works well for you. That doesn't make it less of a gimmick for those of us who feel that way. The very best benchers in the world, by and large do not use the Slinghshot. There's a reason for that- it's not as advantageous as the marketing would have someone believe. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yea I guess eric spoto doesn't count.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm done talking about this. Let's just drop it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'd rather not get into Spoto's training, as I guarantee he's going to have a RTC blowout before his career is over.

Kennelly, Rychlak, Mendleson, and I don't believe Meeker have used it as a tool. 1000>700.

Why do people get their panties in a bunch any time someone opposes the "popular," view? If you like it, great, use it. There's no need to pout because someone else disagrees with you and has provided the reasons why. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
How am I pouting? We were having a conversation, I got tired of conversation. I'm gonna go back to enjoying my Sunday with my beautiful girlfriend. Have fun with your day EK.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You too.

Edit to add- Spoto's already had a rotator cuff blowout and labrum repair. Would advise- as I always have- against Spoto presses. -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
I use a slingshot on my heavy sets of 3 or less and on my rep test, I enjoy it and I like how easy it is to put on and take off. I have used bands also and I feel like the slingshot works better for me and helps out with any shoulder pain from flat bench. That's my opinion though.
Post 20 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Its great for overload work, dont care what anyone says.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Robinson252 private msg quote post Address this user
Well this conversation took an unexpected turn :L Really interesting to read such conflicting arguments for and against the slingshot though! Thanks all!
Post 22 IP   flag post
340609 22 22
destitute