Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceIntroductionNewbieTeenTraining Programs

Bulk or Cut?16356

relevant private msg quote post Address this user
So, unfortunately, I've been spinning my wheels through my entire 4 years in high school when it came to lifting. I started out sophomore year and believe me, I got no where; I look exactly the same, skinny fat. I discovered a real routine this year and what macros are. I'm currently training on a 5x5 routine trying to get stronger, but my question is whether I should stick with a bulk or stick with cutting. Here is some info on where I currently am in terms of fitness level:

5'10"
150 lbs
18 years old
Around 15-25% bodyfat

What should I do? I seek to be lean and vascular, my goal is to look good at the beach and if not this year, next year is just as good to as long as I get ripped.
Post 1 IP   flag post
dserious111 private msg quote post Address this user
Pics?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah I'll post some up rn one sec
Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dserious111
Pics?

Here's one from the side

Post 5 IP   flag post
You can cut a bit and then do a slow lean bulk. But regardless, you'll need to bulk sooner than later. Just my opinion.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
You can cut a bit and then do a slow clean bulk. But regardless, you'll need to bulk sooner than later. Just my opinion.

What do you mean by cutting for a bit? Like until I reach a certain body fat %?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Until you're comfortable with yourself. It's entirely up to you. I'm saying, if I were you, I'd cut a bit. Only to get rid of some excess waist and belly fat. Then I'd lean bulk. Everyone has different goals.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Until you're comfortable with yourself. It's entirely up to you. I'm saying, if I were you, I'd cut a bit. Only to get rid of some excess waist and belly fat. Then I'd lean bulk. Everyone has different goals.

Well I definitely want to get leaner, in order to cut I must be in a caloric deficit correct?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Correct
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Correct

Thanks for the input really helped out a lot
Post 11 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@relevant At the age of 18 my friend, you're at a ripe age for growth. I would recommend bulking and taking advantage of this time period. Start putting your nose in every exercise science/nutrition book possible if seriously interested and reap the benefits.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat2Trainn247
@relevant At the age of 18 my friend, you're at a ripe age for growth. I would recommend bulking and taking advantage of this time period. Start putting your nose in every exercise science/nutrition book possible if seriously interested and reap the benefits.

You really think I should bulk first regardless of my somewhat high body fat percentage?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
@relevant you provided an ESTIMATED range of 15-25% which means absolutely nothing b/c a) its an estimate and b) its such a large range.

You have a lot of room and potential for growth. I would focus on thatpersonally while implementing a solid foundation of nutrition to ensure most of the weight gained is muscle
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@relevant you provided an ESTIMATED range of 15-25% which means absolutely nothing b/c a) its an estimate and b) its such a large range.

You have a lot of room and potential for growth. I would focus on thatpersonally while implementing a solid foundation of nutrition to ensure most of the weight gained is muscle

How would you suggest I go about my current situation? How long would you estimate for me to change my physique from skinny fat to ripped assuming I go for mass first? Thank you for your time.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
At your age and experience, I wouldn't focus on cutting. For one, you're not skinny fat. You're what I would consider normal looking with a good foundation. Unfortunately for some of us, not everyone is blessed with the ability to be lean without having worked for it. I wouldn't waste my time cutting when that time could be spent getting bigger and stronger. Bulking doesn't mean you have to get fat. Just take it slowly, and next time you cut you'll actually have something to look forward to.
Post 16 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like the word "bulk" for the exact reason @Beans explains. Some use it for an excuse to put on way too much unnecessary BF. I would do like @eat2train247 said and get educated and learn how to eat well. I think you should focus on getting really strong. As your lifts go up (which they should quickly with proper training, nutrition and rest) you will know you are really making some headway. But everyone had a vision in their head what they want to look like, just know if you cut to a very low bodyfat right now you will be fairly skinny. That's not a bad thing, I have friends that like that look. It's up to you. Best of luck!
Post 17 IP   flag post
jayneddoyle private msg quote post Address this user
IGF1 LR3 , very good for losing fat and gaining solid muscle, however reducing the sugar flow around the body i believe will cause some loss of fullness due to a drop in carb stores, but its a def a great way of leaning and growing at the same time, perhaps add some HGH or CJCDAC to it ?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Seb private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I've been going to the gym for about two years now and I'm quite experienced, and have seen great results. I've been Bulking for around 4-5 months now and its now time to lose some BF. Id say right now I'm at 10%, but i want to get that ripped look. My abs are pretty good and I'm vascular, but i want to go that one step further. I was wondering i anyone could send me a routine they think would be best for me, and possibly send me some tips.

Info:
Age - 18
Weight - 190lbs
Height - 6,0 ft
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
At your age and experience, I wouldn't focus on cutting. For one, you're not skinny fat. You're what I would consider normal looking with a good foundation. Unfortunately for some of us, not everyone is blessed with the ability to be lean without having worked for it. I wouldn't waste my time cutting when that time could be spent getting bigger and stronger. Bulking doesn't mean you have to get fat. Just take it slowly, and next time you cut you'll actually have something to look forward to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVjack
I don't like the word "bulk" for the exact reason @Beans explains. Some use it for an excuse to put on way too much unnecessary BF. I would do like @eat2train247 said and get educated and learn how to eat well. I think you should focus on getting really strong. As your lifts go up (which they should quickly with proper training, nutrition and rest) you will know you are really making some headway. But everyone had a vision in their head what they want to look like, just know if you cut to a very low bodyfat right now you will be fairly skinny. That's not a bad thing, I have friends that like that look. It's up to you. Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for the advice, I will actually seek to gain mass especially since I'm in my prime in terms of growth as mentioned by eat2train. I definitely have to take of advantage of my youth to gain mass, again thanks.
Post 20 IP   flag post
3six9 private msg quote post Address this user
let's stop messing about an tell the guy he needs to cut.
Post 21 IP   flag post
why is there so much conflicting answers, this is why I was unsure in the first place
Post 22 IP   flag post
Just cut to below 10% bf and then do a lean bulk.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
I would bulk tbh.(DO IT SMART) Just try to pack some size before cut, its easier to cut when you got more muscles + you will look better. Whats the point of going for example to 12% bf when there is no muscle to show. Everyone should just stop watching those Aesthetics Generation videos and other bs. I dont see why would anyone without good foundation (including myself) wanted to be 12% bf or less. Young lifters (my generation) gives too much spotlight to bf %. I dont think thats bad but there are some other things you should worry about.
Just my 2 cents.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I would cut without a doubt.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3six9

What for ? To spend 2 - 3 months foking around for nothing. Obviously OP aint that big.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3six9

What for ? To spend 2 - 3 months foking around for nothing. Obviously OP aint that big.

The op is "fat" tbh. He needs to reduce his fat before bulking imo.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by relevant
why is there so much conflicting answers, this is why I was unsure in the first place

It all comes down to what you want to do in the end. People give different answers because everyone has different goals.
Post 28 IP   flag post
BASICALLY YOU ARE FAT OP.
Post 29 IP   flag post
340770 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute