Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Injury RecoverySplit Advice

Injury after injury, what should i do?16000

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, i seem to be in a real sh***y period of my life, im getting injury after injury.
It all started about 5 weeks ago when an old back injury decided to give me hell again (herniated disc), something that effected my lower body training alot.
Since then i've only been able to train my legs light with parallel dip belt squats, leg extensions and seated/lying leg curls and alot of core stability training.
And 11 days ago i managed to get what i think is a grade 1 muscle tear in my right triceps long head, which has forced me to lay off pretty much all upper body training for the right side, i've only been able to do light cable flyes, lateral raises, shrugs and 1 arm rows/shoulder press for my left side.
It doesn't end here though, 2 days ago when i did my light upper body workout (left side + that above) i felt a nasty pain in my right shoulder (lateral head) when i performed lateral raises, i have felt a very mild pain there from time to time the last ~4 weeks when i have performed lateral raises but this was something else.
Im quessing an inflamed bursa or impingement of the supraspinatus since i feel a moderate pain when doing the hawkins test and the "empty can test", i do however don't feel any pain when i perform internal or external rotations.
And on top of this i got another grade 1 muscle/shallow tear in my left hamstring yesterday during light hamstring curls and at the exact same spot where i had one 3+ months ago (small bruise, barely any pain and stiffness).
So as you might understand i'm on the edge of going nuts here, it feels like i'm loosing everything that i have worked so hard for the last ~6 years because now i can't train anything except calves.
I've literally dedicated my life to bodybuilding and it feels like all i can do now is to sit back and watch how my muscles slowly go away because of this damn injury spree im on.
So im curious, what would you have done in my situation? Have you ever been through something like this?

PS, i have always used regular deloads or periods where i take 3-4 days completely off (every 6 or 8th week) and i haven't been lifting any heavy weights for over 5 months (above 85% of 1RM), i also warm up properly before my workouts and perform alot of mobility and prehab exercises regularly.
I'm also very strict when it comes to my form during exercises, i never take my sets to technical failure.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Either your routine is out of balance or your nutrition is off, maybe both. Your body may be deficit of some important nutrients.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons
Either your routine is out of balance or your nutrition is off, maybe both. Your body may be deficit of some important nutrients.

Doubt that, most of the days look like this (warning for wall of text) ->

Breakfast
Whey protein
Oatmeal
Milk
Sugarfree jam
2 Bananas

Post workout
Whey protein
1 Banana
Raisins

Dinner
Chicken breast, minced beef or salmon fillets
Rice, Egg noodles or Potato
Broccoli
Juice or milk
Some sauce
Onions
Garlic

Snack (fill out calories)
Usually potato chips (made with sunflower oil) or some kind of nuts

Supper
Curd/cottage cheese
Pears or drapes
Oatmeal
Brown bread
Butter
Chicken, turkey or mackerel fillets on the bread + cheese + owen

Im clean bulking so i eat 3400 calories on training days and 3000 on rest days, gaining 0.6-0.8 kg a month.
And my routine looked like this before my herniated disc started giving me problems again and all the other small injuries ->

D1 - Pull
D2 - Push
D3 - Legs
D4
D5 - Pull
D6 - Push
D7

D1 - Legs
D2 - Pull
D3 - Push
D4
D5 - Legs
D6 - Pull
D7
Etc

Every third workouts was a B workout and /3', /2.5' behind the reps is the rest time between sets i used.

Pull A
Pull-ups: 3x8/2.5
Hammer strength row: 3x10/1.5'
Neutral pulldowns: 3x10/1.5'
Lying rear delt db row: 3x10 + 1x13-15/1.5'
Preachercurl: 3x10/1.5'
Hammercurl: 2x12/1'

Pull B
Pull-ups: 3x6 + 1xAMQRAP/3'
Hammer strength row: 3x8/2'
Neutral pulldowns: 2x10/1.5'
Lying rear delt db row: 3x8 + 1x10-12/1.5'
Preachercurl: 3x8/2'
Hammercurl: 2x10/1'

Abs
Leg raises (straight back): 3x10/1.5' + 3x12/1'
Plank: 3xMax/0.5'

Push A
Slight incline bench press (~5°): 3x8 + 1x10-12/2.5'
Seated db shoulder press: 3x10/1.5'
Cable flyes: 3x10/1.5'
Cable lateral raise: 3x10 + 1x13-15/1.5'
Lying tricepsextension (behind head): 3x10/1.5'
Rope pushdowns: 2x12/1'

Push B
Slight incline bench press (~5°): 3x5 + Pause (1s): 1x8/2.5'
Seated db shoulder press: 3x8/2'
Cable flyes: 3x10/1.5'
DB lateral raise (db on bench): 3x8 + 1x10-12/1.5'
Lying tricepsextension (behind head): 3x8/2'
Rope pushdowns: 2x10/1'

Prehab
Cable external rotation: 3x10-15
Cable internal rotation: 2x10-15

Legs A
Squat: 3x8/2.5'
Leg press (narrow/loow feet position): 3x10 + 1x13-15/1.5'
Romanian deadlift: 3x8/2'
Seated leg curl: 3x10 + 1x13-15/1.5'
Standing calf raise: 3x10 + 2x15-20/1'

Legs B
Squat: 3x6 + Pause (1s): 1x8/3'
Leg press (narrow/loow feet position): 3x10/1.5'
Romanian deadlift: 3x6 + Pause bottom (1s): 1x8/2.5'
Seated leg curl: 3x10/1.5'
Standing calf raise: 3x6 + 2x10-15/1'

Before every pull/push workout ->

10 x Internal/external arm circles
1x15 Internal/external cable rotation
10 x Wall slides
10 x Pass through with a stick
10 x Pull aparts

Before leg workout ->

10 x Forward and backward fire hydrant circles
10 x Mountain climbers
5 x Groiners
15 x Cossack squats
10 x Forward leg swings

Followed by 4 warm up sets in every main exercise (pull-ups, bench, squat and rdl).
Percentage of weight being used in the work sets.

20% x 12
30s rest
50% x 8
30s rest
70% x 4
30s rest
90% x 1
3 min rest before work sets.

I also ended my workouts with 30s static stretch for every trained muscle and some foam rolling.
Also, im 25 years old, atm my body feels like one belonging to someone whos 80 though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
Take a few days off and see a masseuse. Chances are your body is just highly fatigued, I was like this not long ago, not as bad injuries though.

Pamper yourself, imagine it's your off season, go lighter and lower volume when you come back and involve more functional movements and maybe some cardio
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer93
Take a few days off and see a masseuse. Chances are your body is just highly fatigued, I was like this not long ago, not as bad injuries though.

I'm afraid that a few days won't be enough, the small rupture in my right triceps happened 11 days ago and i still feel a very light pain and stiffness when i provoke it.
So i'm quessing it needs another week of rest.
That doesn't matter though since i can't train the right side of my upper body before the shoulder is ok as well and i have no idea how long that will take.
And since the hamstring rupture happened yesterday it will probably take 2-3 weeks before i can go back to my leg training, hopefully a little sooner since i started with the RICE method when i noticed the bruising/stiffness last night.

A question to you who have been forced to be away from the lifting for ~3 weeks or longer, did you loose much muscle mass and how long did it take for you to get back to where you were before it?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
Take as much time as you need, you may loose some muscle but it won't be hard to put it back on
Post 6 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Rawsteel U doing enough rear felt work ?? Prior to upper body days.. Ie band pull Sparta and shoulder drills.
What's ur sodium intake like ??
What's ur water intake like ??

I distroyed myself on ppl too much volume frequency as I was working out every 6/8days...
Have u tried voodoo flossing in the tricep ??
U taking fish oils and glucomasine/condriton...???
How often u get physio ??
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
@Rawsteel U doing enough rear felt work ?? Prior to upper body days.. Ie band pull Sparta and shoulder drills.
What's ur sodium intake like ??
What's ur water intake like ??

I distroyed myself on ppl too much volume frequency as I was working out every 6/8days...
Have u tried voodoo flossing in the tricep ??
U taking fish oils and glucomasine/condriton...???
How often u get physio ??

Outside of what i do in the gym (see above) i do the exercise in this video (4:30) 1x10 twice a day, i also stretch my rotatorcuff with the 2 exercises demonstrated in this video at 0:45 once a day (30s hold in both).
And i have no idea how much sodium i eat daily, probably enough through the spices i use when cooking and the nuts/potato chips.
And my water intake is good, around 2-3 liters a day.
No, i have never used voodoo flossing and i get my fish oils through my diet (mackerel/salmon), and what's "glucomasine/condriton"?
Never heard of it.
And what do you mean with "physio"? A massage? If so, i've never had one because it's expensive as f**k where i live, that's why i bought a foam roller :P
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel
I eat fish aswell but that isnt the same as the DOSAGE in the fish oils with high epa/dha content are much more effective for joints and inflammation also great for skin/hair and such.

2-3litres a day IMO is not enough.
Sodium through SPICEs?? now i mean do use use salt.. because potassium flushes the system of sodium.. they are inversely related so for the amount of banana's you eat u need to trake in more sodium and sodium through potato chips also isn't the same.

I used voodoo flossing for my knee and it was a great help.
I get a physio treatment i.e. deep tissue every 3-5weeks and it's expensive here also.. 50euro/session but it it greatly important in my opinion for maintenance.

Glucosamine and condriton SOME people are responders and some arent but those who are it helps alot with joint pains/health.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rawsteel
I eat fish aswell but that isnt the same as the DOSAGE in the fish oils with high epa/dha content are much more effective for joints and inflammation also great for skin/hair and such.

Quess i'll order some omega 3 capsules then :P

Quote:
2-3litres a day IMO is not enough.

That is outside of the diet, there's water in alot of the food we eat as well :P

Quote:
Sodium through SPICEs?? now i mean do use use salt.. because potassium flushes the system of sodium.. they are inversely related so for the amount of banana's you eat u need to trake in more sodium and sodium through potato chips also isn't the same.

How much should i get then? At the swedish food agency site they recommend 4 grams of salt each day.
Should i maybe drink 3-4g of salt with water each day?

Quote:
I used voodoo flossing for my knee and it was a great help.
I get a physio treatment i.e. deep tissue every 3-5weeks and it's expensive here also.. 50euro/session but it it greatly important in my opinion for maintenance.

I don't know how much voodoo flossing will help with a muscle strain though since i can't train it at all untill it's healed and it's to late to use the RICE method.
And i've actually looked in to deep tissue massage, i have however not been able to find anyone that does it near or where i live, the closest one i could find is 12 miles away, which is a ~2h drive :P
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Take a month off. 2 if you need to. Use that time to sort your priorities. Training should be a part of your life, not how you define your life. IMO, you need a step back mentally as well as physically. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Some injuries don't happen overnight. They build up over time and sometimes training through or around an injury isn't an option.

You just need a break. Food, supps, etc doesn't replace total rest.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel make sure they have high epa dha content.

water in food. what u talking about man... u have this inherent ability to over analyse stuff too much..
Just drink more.

3-4g maybe be ok for average people but if ur working out alot sweating alot, drinking alot and eating alot of potassium ur gonna ned more sodium in ur diet.. look at the Forum home website`theres a recent thread on sodium by @JELET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
I don't know how much voodoo flossing will help with a muscle strain though since i can't train it at all untill it's healed and it's to late to use the RICE method.

Voodoo flossing is not conducted with weights.. for example with my knee i'd wrap above and below the target area and just do some VERY light bodyweight squats.
U could wrap at the shoulder joint and the elbow for the tricep.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

3-4g maybe be ok for average people but if ur working out alot sweating alot, drinking alot and eating alot of potassium ur gonna ned more sodium in ur diet.. look at the Forum home website`theres a recent thread on sodium by @JELET.

Alright, will add ~6 grams of salt a day when i start training again and up my water intake to ~3-4 liters a day.
Does it matter which kind it is? The one i have at home is normal salt with iodine.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel Hemalayan sea salt apparently the best !! But otherwise just crushed sea salt will do fine...
I put salt in most things cause i eat loads of bananas myself !!

No bandage doesn't work.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340740 15 15
destitute