Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingPush Pull LegsTraining LogTraining Programs

ajm87's Push/Pull/Legs Workout Log15535

ajm87 private msg quote post Address this user
27 years old, 5'9, 142 lbs male around 12% BF

I am finishing up following an upper/lower split after doing push/pull/legs for over a year. I have done PHAT in the past, 5/3/1, Madcows, and some bro splits. I have been training since 2006. Started at 145 lbs. bulked to 220, cut back down to 140-145 lbs. where I have been treading for awhile.

I do have a heart condition known as aortic stenosis and my cardiologist limits my training to 10 or more reps for each exercise. He also recommends no powerlifting i.e. really heavy sets or hard straining so there won't be any "heavy" lifting in this log. I won't be deadlifting or squatting either.

Goals? LEAN BULK! I am aiming to put on 0.5 lb. a week for about the next year or so straight through. So hopefully this time next year I will be around 170 lbs. I'd like to stay relatively lean if not get a tad bit leaner while bulking. I know...impossible. I am training specifically for the Men's Physique type of look.

Current Macros following Eric Helms' video suggestions:
3000 calories
P: 170 (1.2 x BW)
F: 83 (25% of intake)
C: 393 (left over)

Training will be Push/Pull/Legs split. I will be following brian12's layout from a previous thread found here at post 12: http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/14667/how-would-you-train/:

Schedule:
Monday - Push
Tuesday - Pull
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Push
Friday - Pull
Saturday - OFF
Sunday- Legs

*I will also take a day off every now and then for more rest, if needed.*

2 days of 10 HIIT bike intervals and 2 mile jog

Push
1)Flat Barbell Bench Press: 4x8 (straight sets)
2)Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 4x8 (straight sets)
3)Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press: 3x10
4)Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 3x8-12
5)Triceps Rope Pushdown: 3x10-15
6)Overhead Rope Triceps Extension: 3x10-15
7)Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 3x10-15

Pull
1)Weighted Pull-ups: 4x8 (straight sets)
2)Seated Narrow-Grip Cable Row: 4x8
3)Underhand Lat Pulldown: 3x10
4)Dumbbell Curl: 3x8-12
5)Face Pulls: 3x10-15
6)Seated Dumbbell Concentration Curls: 3x10-15
7)Spread Eagle Sit-up/Hanging Leg Raise/Side Twists: 3x10 each

Legs
1)Leg Press: 4x8 (straight sets)
2)Barbell Lunges: 4x8 (straight sets)
3)Romanian Deadlift: 3x10
4)Leg Extensions: 3x8-12
5)Lying Leg Curl: 3x10-15
6)Natural Glute Ham Raise: 3x10-15
7)Standing Calf Raise: 3x15-20
8)Seated Calf Raise: 3x10-12

*As soon as I hit top of rep range on non-straight set exercises, I will add weight.
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously in for this mate... Keep up the grind.

In terms of your program:

-why so much cardio.. personally i think it's unnecessary to do that much especially while lean bulking.
U have equal amount pushing to pulling exercises i'd definately have more pulling work in the overall scheme of things.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
That's ALOT of pressing, your anterior delts will get absolutely hammered (11 sets + some in incline flyes), i highly doubt that you will be able to recover with that volume/frequency.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Obviously in for this mate... Keep up the grind.

In terms of your program:

-why so much cardio.. personally i think it's unnecessary to do that much especially while lean bulking.
U have equal amount pushing to pulling exercises i'd definately have more pulling work in the overall scheme of things.

Should I remove some of the presses? If so which? Perhaps Te Arnold press?

As for cardio, I like to do it and I think it will benefit my heart condition to do some.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
That's ALOT of pressing, your anterior delts will get absolutely hammered (11 sets + some in incline flyes), i highly doubt that you will be able to recover with that volume/frequency.

If I were to remove some of the pressing, which should I take out? I was thinking of eliminating the Arnold presses as the anterior delt should be covered with the incline db press.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@ajm87 This setup is why i prefer a P/P/L/off/Upper/lower... Because the upper day allows u to add more back work and possible weakness work and the second lower day obviously allows u to hit legs twice a week and sometimes u just want sundays off to do Fock all.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
@ajm87 This setup is why i prefer a P/P/L/off/Upper/lower... Because the upper day allows u to add more back work and possible weakness work and the second lower day obviously allows u to hit legs twice a week and sometimes u just want sundays off to do Fock all.

I think I'm going to stick with the layout I have, but remove the Incline DB Presses. I should be able to recover well since I won't be lifting extremely heavy or until absolute failure.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ur missing the point.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ur missing the point.

I know,more pulling. I just don't know how I would work that in if I wanted to run push,pull,legs,repeat.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ajm87 I've run that program it's high demand and doesnt leave any freedom to live ur life cause if u miss a day the cycle is kinda fucked. where as if u have to do 5 workouts u can do them when u want in the week as long as their done and u can use the uper day for the added pulling volume.
Sure look at big youtubers that run and made this routine popular like Matt ogus even he admitted it was too much and switched to my suggestion.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm87
Quote:
Ur missing the point.

I know,more pulling. I just don't know how I would work that in if I wanted to run push,pull,legs,repeat.

Drop one set of every push movement, and add one set of every pull movement. Done. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

If I were to remove some of the pressing, which should I take out? I was thinking of eliminating the Arnold presses as the anterior delt should be covered with the incline db press.

I would remove the incline db press and change the DB lateral raise to cable lateral raise since the time under tension is much higher when using a cable, same goes for flyes.
And another tip from someone who has experimented with different p/p/l routines over the last 3 years is to do it in a 2-1-2 cycle instead (see below).
Training 5 days in a row might be a bit to much for your central nervous system, or it was for me and i was 23, had no work and was on a calorie surplus when i tryed that.

D1 - Pull
D2 - Push
D3
D4 - Lower
D5 - Pull
D6
D7 - Push
D8 - Lower
D9
Post 12 IP   flag post
@eknight @Rawsteel

Thanks for the advice guys.

Final draft of the split! OK to start it up tomorrow?

2 days of 10 HIIT bike intervals and 2 mile jog: 2x a weel.

Push
1)Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x8 (straight sets)
2)Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press: 2x10
3)Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 2x8-12
4)Triceps Rope Pushdown: 2x10-15
5)Overhead Rope Triceps Extension: 2x10-15
6)Cable Lateral Raise: 2x10-15

Pull
1)Weighted Pull-ups: 5x8 (straight sets)
2)Seated Narrow-Grip Cable Row: 5x8(straight sets)
3)Underhand Lat Pulldown: 4x10
5)Face Pulls: 4x10-15

Legs
3)Weighted Hyperextensions: 3x10

*As soon as I hit top of rep range on non-straight set exercises, I will add weight.

Schedule:

D1 - Pull
D2 - Push
D3
D4 - Lower
D5 - Pull
D6
D7 - Push
D8 - Lower
D9
D10 - Repeat
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Not a fan of leg extensions, but that's just me. Looks good other than that. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Not a fan of leg extensions, but that's just me. Looks good other than that. -3X

Thanks, yeah I like to do them just because since I am not squatting, I'd like something that I can focus on the quad with. All slow and controlled of course.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@eknight @Rawsteel

Thanks for the advice guys.

Final draft of the split! OK to start it up tomorrow?

2 days of 10 HIIT bike intervals and 2 mile jog: 2x a weel.

Push
1)Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x8 (straight sets)
2)Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press: 2x10
3)Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 2x8-12
4)Triceps Rope Pushdown: 2x10-15
5)Overhead Rope Triceps Extension: 2x10-15
6)Cable Lateral Raise: 2x10-15

Pull
1)Weighted Pull-ups: 5x8 (straight sets)
2)Seated Narrow-Grip Cable Row: 5x8(straight sets)
3)Underhand Lat Pulldown: 4x10
5)Face Pulls: 4x10-15

Legs
3)Weighted Hyperextensions: 3x10

Schedule:

D1 - Pull
D2 - Push
D3
D4 - Lower
D5 - Pull
D6
D7 - Push
D8 - Lower
D9
D10 - Repeat

Looks pretty similar to my p/p/l, i would up the volume in the push workout and even out the volume between the muscle groups a bit more though.
I would also change almost everything to straight sets since straight sets allows one to use a little more volume without overtaxing the central nervous system, since you work yourself closer to failure set by set.
I would also have 1 "main" arm exercise were i go a little heavier, like this ->

Push
Bench: 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press: 3x10
Incline Dumbbell or cable flyes: 3x10
Hammer strenght press (machine press): 1x13-15
Cable Lateral Raise: 3x10 + 1x13-15
Rope tricepsextension: 3x8
Rope Pushdown: 3x12

Note, take the single sets (1x13-15) to failure or 1 shy of failure.
Personally i would change the rope extensions to lying tricepsextension behind the head to fully activate the long head of the triceps, or well, you can do that in a rope extension aswell (if using full ROM), it's not a free weight exercise though, something i like my "main exercises" to be.
A matter of taste i quess:p (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BBLyingTriExt.html)
Also, don't forget about your rotatorcuffs, warm them up before the workout, like 1-2x15 cable external and internal rotation (not taken close to fail) and finish the workout with some heavier work for them, like 2x10-15 were you go a little closer to fail.
Some mobility work for the shoulders will do good aswell (see video).

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Infraspinatus/CBStandingExternalRotation.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Subscapularis/CBStandingInternalRotation.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGtrEcsqPQ

------------------------------------------------

Since you don't do any type of DL variant i would recommend that you alternate between an A and B pull workout, were you on A focus more on horizontal movements (rhombs, traps, post delts etc) and on B more on vertical movements (lats).
Like this

Pull A
A pronated row (overhand grip): 4x8
Lat pulldowns (pull-ups if you have the strength): 3x10
A neutral grip row: 2x12 + 1x13-15
Face pulls: 3x10 + 1x13-15
Dumbbell curl: 3x8
Incline hammercurl: 3x12
Spread Eagle Sit-up/Hanging Leg Raise/Side Twists: 3x10 each

Pull B
Pull-ups: 4x8
A pronated row (overhand grip): 3x10
Underhand lat pulldowns: 2x12 + 1x13-15

Note, on day 5 in the cycle i would add 4x10 barbell shrugs, you could do it on day 1 aswell if you want but it might have a bad effect on the push workout the following day since your upper traps are involved to a certain degree in shoulder presses and lateral raises.

------------------------------------------------

Legs
Leg Press: 4x8
Barbell Lunges: 3x10
Leg Extension: 2x12 + 1x13-15
Hyperextensions: 4x8
Lying Leg Curl: 3x10 + 1x13-15
Standing Calf Raise: 3x10 (controlled) + 3x15 (explosive)

Note, do the hyperextensions with a straight back and the pad below the waist so you train your gluteus and hamstrings dynamically, like in a SLDL or RDL.
Also, seated calf raise is just a waste of time since it only trains Soleus.
Soleus is a deep muscle that has a small cross-sectional area and mostly slow twitch fibers that generally responds bad to weightlifting.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Eknight, i have a question for you regarding face pulls.
I talked to a highly respected and well known physiotherapist here in Sweden a week ago because i have some problems with my left shoulder (got it from face pulls).
I told him that i did face pulls and he told me that face pulls is a pretty nasty exercise for the shoulders that im better off without.
I don't know how to translate everything he said in to english but it was something like this

"face pulls is an exercise with a low trainingeffect and a high risk of injury, the rotatorcuff is extremly exposed, working against, relative to their strength, a very high load."

He also said that the supraspinatus tendon gets squeezed under something i don't know the english name for during the execution.
What's your view on this?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel

Thanks!

So the split when put together would look like this:

D1 - Pull
D2 - Push
D3
D4 - Lower
D5 - Pull
D6
D7 - Push
D8 - Lower
D9
D10 - Repeat
*Alternate between Pull A and Pull B on Pull days.
*Everything is straight sets except the 1x13-15 which is one rep shy of failure.
2 days of 10 HIIT bike intervals and 2 mile jog: 2x a week.

Pull A
Barbell Row: 4x8
Lat Pulldowns: 3x10
Seated Neutral Grip Cable Row: 2x12 + 1x13-15
Hammer Strength Shrug: 4x10

Pull B
Pull-ups: 4x8
Overhand Grip Seated Cable Row: 3x10
Underhand lat pulldowns: 2x12 + 1x13-15
Barbell Shrug: 4x10

Push
Bench: 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press: 3x10
Incline Dumbbell or cable flyes: 3x10
Machine Chest Press: 1x13-15
Cable Lateral Raise: 3x10 + 1x13-15
Skullcrushers: 3x8
Rope Pushdown: 3x12

Legs
Leg Press: 4x8
Barbell Lunges: 3x10
Leg Extension: 2x12 + 1x13-15
Hyperextensions: 4x8
Lying Leg Curl: 3x10 + 1x13-15
Standing Calf Raise: 3x10 (controlled) + 3x15 (explosive)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
"face pulls is an exercise with a low trainingeffect and a high risk of injury, the rotatorcuff is extremly exposed, working against, relative to their strength, a very high load."

This would go against every piece of advice i've gotten for maintaining healthy shoulders...
Unless ur just doing them wrong.
The movement is scapular retraction with high external rotation both very natural and functional movements in the shoulder.
ALOT of people lack external rotation i've found so may be doing something wrong to compensate.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rawsteel

Thanks!

So the split when put together would look like this:

Correct, if you're starting to feel tired, sleeping less etc i would lower the cardiovascular training.
Lifting weights 5 days a week and doing hard cardio on the off days can become a bit much.

Quote:
This would go against every piece of advice i've gotten for maintaining healthy shoulders...
Unless ur just doing them wrong.
The movement is scapular retraction with high external rotation both very natural and functional movements in the shoulder.
ALOT of people lack external rotation i've found so may be doing something wrong to compensate.

Yea, i must say i got a bit chocked, an no, i was not doing them wrong, strict and proper form.
Now when i think about it i've never heard a person that actually are educated/has a degree in anatomy and physiology talk about or recommend face pulls.
All i've seen recommend this exercise has been normal gym goers or Youtube "experts" that preach alot of broscience.
So im curious what Eknight says about this.
Post 20 IP   flag post
11/17/2014
Pull A

*Warm-ups not included. All weights in LBS.*

Barbell Row
145 x 8,8,8,8

Lat Pulldown
120 x 10, 10, 10

Seated Close-Grip Cable Row
144 x 12, 12, 120 x 15

Face Pulls
48 x 10, 60 x 10, 10, 48 x 15

Dumbbell Curls
35's x 8, 8, 8

Incline Dumbbell Hammer Curl
20's x 12, 12, 12

Hammer Strength Shrug
2 plates per side x 10, 10, 10, 10

Finished off with 3x12 of cable crunches and side twists with a 25 lb. plate.
Post 21 IP   flag post
340768 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute