Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceSplit Advice

Awesome advice from Stan Efferding15226

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Some of you may have seen this before. It's fucking amazing.

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2013/09/awesome-write-up-from-stan-efferding.html

Highlights:

Over 90% of the questions I’m asked at the gym or via email are about the best weight lifting routine to get huge and strong. How many sets, reps, drop sets, super sets, rest time, frequency, duration etc…?

My answer is always the same. It doesn’t matter You don’t grow in the gym, you grow at the dinner table.

It’s never the training routine that’s limiting growth, it’s always the recovery phase, eating and sleeping. The vast majority of people who want to get bigger and stronger already train hard enough to grow, they just don’t eat and sleep enough to grow. They carry a notebook and want to show me every rep and set of every workout and routine they’ve done for the past three years, but there’s not one page with a record of their meals. I feel bad for them because I know they work hard in the gym and they rarely miss a workout, but the notebook just documents all the muscle they’ve broken down and has no record of what they’ve been doing to build it up. I know because I did it myself. When I started college nearly 30 years ago there was no Internet and few reliable resources to find information about getting big and strong. I started lifting two hours a day, six days a week, doing endless sets and reps of every exercise in Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. I struggled to put on five pounds a year until I finally came across an experienced lifter who told me I was wasting my time with all that lifting and told me to go home and eat. By cutting my training back to an hour three days a week and hiking my calories up to over 5,000 a day, I was able to put on 20 pounds in less than a year!

It really is this simple:

Lift heavy weights three times a week for an hour. Eat lots of food and sleep as much as you can.

That’s it. There’s nothing more to add. I’d love to be able to just stop there and trust that the person asking the question will do exactly those two things and get huge and strong.

But, there’s always a million nit picky questions to follow, the answers to which really make very little difference. People have become well informed and read everything they can about the sport, so they want to hear me confirm or negate every last theory, belief, bias, research study, proposal, hunch, testimonial and Dr. Oz episode they’ve ever watched. The truth is, it doesn’t matter.

Train heavy, eat and sleep. Repeat.

What is heavy? Don’t over complicate the answer. If its too easy, add more weight. Repeat.

How much is enough food? If you’re not gaining muscle, eat more. Repeat.

Don’t chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet that’s going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

-3X
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Some really good points in there. Especially liked this part:

"Take your body somewhere it hasn’t been before then give it enough food and rest so it can adapt and grow!!! I know it’s difficult to look yourself in the mirror and admit that it’s your own fault if you’re not getting results. It’s not because you don’t know something someone else knows or haven’t figured out the right set and rep scheme or bought the right blend of supplements, it’s because you need to get back to the basics and train heavy then eat and sleep with the kind of consistency and intensity that will create results."
Post 2 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty much all you need to know.

I was going to say this but it was in the article...

Sure, if you try to lift too much weight with horrible technique, you’ll get hurt. Duh!... Also if your on a stupid home made routine

Sure, if you eat hot dogs and pizza all day, you’ll get fat. Duh! ...not exactly but I'm not gonna open up that can
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Stan is one of my favorites. Absolute BEAST!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
I highly disagree, but whatever.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball

With what?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Cannonball of course you do, I'm the one who posted it.

Love when a guy who hasn't done anything disagrees with a guy who has a 2300 raw total. Makes perfect sense. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Damnit
Post 8 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Seen this comming.

Was waiting on gola asking what is best for the inner pec....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

Love when a guy who hasn't done anything disagrees with a guy who has a 2300 raw total. Makes perfect sense. -3X

I actually agree with like 98% of everything you post, just not this. Since you didn't even write it, what does it even matter to you?
Post 10 IP   flag post
IGS private msg quote post Address this user
Why?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@Cannonball I'm genuinely curious as to what you disagree with.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

always bringing your personal achievements into everything, huh? one thing you'll never achieve though, stature.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Bucky haha, dude. I'm sure EK was referring to Stan's achievements with the 2300lb total.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Bucky always jumping to the wrong conclusions due to your own inability to deal with your shortcomings, huh? One thing you'll never achieve though, a sense of self-worth.

@wannabemuscular you are correct, sir. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
I especially like Stan because he's an older dude (46). Proves to me I still have plenty of room to grow.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
Quote:

always bringing your personal achievements into everything, huh? one thing you'll never achieve though, stature.

Quote:
@Bucky always jumping to the wrong conclusions due to your own ability to deal with your shortcomings, huh? One thing you'll never achieve though, a sense of self-worth.

@wannabemuscular you are correct, sir. -3X

Alright, alright. BOTH of you knock it off! bygones . . .
Post 17 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
I especially like Stan because he's an older dude (46). Proves to me I still have plenty of room to grow.

RHINO POWER
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

I thought you were mid 50's
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Bucky always jumping to the wrong conclusions due to your own inability to deal with your shortcomings, huh? One thing you'll never achieve though, a sense of self-worth.

haha what shortcomings? because I don't bench or squat as much as you? i have the rest of my life to develop the physique i want to achieve or get to the numbers I want to put up, you'll never grow taller. poverty genetics in my opinion. and as for self-worth? I love myself, my life and everything about it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
This answers all the questions in my head. Thanks Man. Also perfidy for telling me to read this. Going to read this more and more just incase I over think things which I tend to do a lot.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It's been my experience that people who have to take drugs to achieve a physique they lack the genetics and discipline to achieve naturally, attack other people when they have no idea what they're talking about, and have to profess their love for themselves are most often the ones who lack that love altogether. Good effort though.

What do your ramblings in this thread have to do with the actual topic? What are you bringing to the table here? Your initial response was incorrect, so why bother continuing to say anything? All it does it derail the thread. -3X
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Quote:

I thought you were mid 50's

OUUUCHH! Haha, IDK. @GrizzlyBerg what qualifies as "silver back" status?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular just playin haha
Post 24 IP   flag post
@eknight did not attack, I stated you brought your personal achievements into everything, which you do by signing your post with the "-3x" shit. And then you used your total as your source of credibility in that post. Was I wrong then? No.
Post 25 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
There should be a thumbs down for some of these trolls
Post 26 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
@wannabemuscular anyone who can qualify for the masters classes (40+)
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Absolutely you were wrong. The 2300 total is not mine, it's Efferding's.

"3X" has NOTHING to do with anything I've done in the gym. At all. Ever. Once again, you're own personal limitations- your inability to see anything other than what your paradigms based on your insecurities cloud- prevent you from being able to objectively respond. Neither the total, nor the signature had anything to do with any achievements of mine. Do a Google search for Straight Edge and XXX and see what you come up with.

Quote:
Was I wrong then? Damn straight.

Fixed that for you. -3X
Post 28 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknight did not attack, I stated you brought your personal achievements into everything, which you do by signing your post with the "-3x" shit. And then you used your total as your source of credibility in that post. Was I wrong then? No.

He used the writers total.
Post 29 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Simply shredded should have signatures like Bb.com
Post 30 IP   flag post
340609 66 30
destitute