Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
MotivationSplit Advice

Why You Fail That Lift15203

jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Just Sharing what I realize. Why am I getting stuck in the same weight over and over again. Is it form? Is it my technique?, Is it the program? NO!!.

1. Most of us wont admit this but its because of Fear. When we are attempting to squat, bench or deadlift higher. Even if its just an addional 5lb or 10lb on the bar, we fear that we might fail, that we might not be able to make it. This turns into reality that makes us stop and not progress. Getting a spotter or just someone there to help you in case you fail on that rep helps your mental focus and not worry about what if you cant.

2. Importance of Stamina/endurance - Some of us neglect this. It has nothing to do with strength. But loosing air on that heavy lift is uncomfortable and makes you weak. Your rest intervals last longer because you are already tired and cant hardly breath. And you want to stop because you think you cant do more. Actually your muscle can still do more but your just too tired.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Reasons why people fail a lift are in my opinion:
They're too weak

They lose concentration

The don't have the will to keep pushing

In that order
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
They're too weak - Dont be so harsh!! haha.

They lose concentration

The don't have the will to keep pushing

In that order
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I'd say "fear" was my obstacle for a long time. I was in a comfort zone for too long. Was complacent making little increases in weight over long periods of time.

Then my mindset changed because of that dude above ^^ and I got a power rack for myself at home. Since then I've made incredible increases in my numbers that I had only previously hoped to hit by the end of this year. I've since completely updated my goals.

Lifting weights is fukkin HARD! At least it's supposed to be if you want to improve. If you're comfortable doing what you're doing you are not going to make gains. PUSH the limits passed your comfort zone. NO FEAR!
Post 4 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
The reason why I get "stuck" are usually because of stress and time management due to wife, work, and kids (in that order). I make the most gains when all three of those areas of my life are going well.

Every time I make the most gains is when I commit to a routine and track my macros every day. Commiting to a routine makes me lift the same or more volume every day and tracking my macros obviously just fuels the gains.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
3 reasons: mental, physical and technique.
Post 6 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
- Did not get tight enough

- Bit off more than I could chew

- Did not approach the lift like there is a gun at my head (or the head of a loved one). If you're life depended on it what could you do. I find this strategy helps with #1 above (getting tight)

- Lack of external "motivation" - coach, teammates, spotter, gym buddy, hot chick, other meat heads... they all impact my workouts. Tough to make PRs in a vacuum
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." - Frank Herbert's "Dune"
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
They're too weak

-3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Adding..

- Your not giving it your best.
We always think adding more exercise is the key to getting better.But in reality that additional exercise what holds us back. You can do more because you have not give it all.Make every set like your last set, dont think about the next one and focus on that lift. Practice your form and perfect the movement.

- You think you know it all.
You have been lifting for so long and you dont want to accept something different from your own belief. Your must Learn to listen.

- Your Ego got the best of you.
Dont think what others might think.
Lower the weight if its too heavy and slowly make progress.Its not about them, Its about making yourself better.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Gunther private msg quote post Address this user
"Don't be afraid to fail,
Be afraid not to try"
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
I've never feared weight. I've also never been afraid to ask for a spotter/help. My BIGGEST problem has always been motivation!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy81
I've never feared weight. I've also never been afraid to ask for a spotter/help. My BIGGEST problem has always been motivation!!

Stop asking for a spotter. That'll give you some Motivation to pick up the weight. Get crushed, or get a pr.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
^^Haha, that's truth! I'll be back in the gym soon, gains will be made...
Post 14 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
It's all a fucking mind set. We are way stronger then we think we are. Ever read articles of moms who don't even lift and see their kid trapped under a car and if something isn't done that kid will die and the mom legit lifts the goddamn car. We all have that capability. Just have to know how to channel it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340741 15 15
destitute