Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingNewbieSplit Advice

What am i doing wrong?14448

Kyles247 private msg quote post Address this user
So my name is Kyle im 20 i have been working out for about 1 and a half years now. Im 6'2 when i started i was weighing in at 126 pounds not good at all had two major surgery's a broken nose and had screws put all threw my wrist and had to learn how to use it again. told i wasnt going to be able to bench for 3 years after surgery. Well i didn't listen i have pushed hard in the first 4 months i pushed hard gained about 20 pounds i got up to exactly 145 6 months later i still was 145 and so on Idk why i tryed a lot but could not seem to go up. I started cardio not to long ago low intensity and have a heart monitor now. I did have 2 big break periods for about 3 to 4 months each of not working out when work got very busy. Im mainly hear now to start my journey and take in as much advice as i possibly can. This past couple of months i started 5x5 and have decided i want to train hard and hopefully one day become a bodybuilder/fitnessmodel, i know that might sound stupid but if i dont compete i just want to do it for myself. Another thing i have been frustrated with is why am i so lean but cant see my abbs i eat healthy rarely eat fast food maybe once in a month. Im about to go on a strict broccoli rice and chicken/steak diet 4 meals a day i do take pro complex as well but i still cant figure out why they are not showing any advice? I wil post pics later cant at the moment maybe tomorrow
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
How many cals per day?

PS - Welcome!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome, and read this:

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

Reply with questions based on that reading if you don't understand. Lots of good people here, plenty are willing to help IF you reciprocate the work on your end. Read and learn and enjoy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Also, grammar and punctuation. That really helps.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Hey man, good to hear you're getting back in the gym. I'd say the first couple responses are really good advice, so start with those.

From your description it seems like you've been lifting for 1.5 years, with a couple of breaks that lasted a few months each. To be honest, I wouldn't call that lifting for 1.5 years. I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but if you are really considering taking the plunge into serious training, then you should realize that consistency is the biggest factor in making gains if you have your diet and training figured out.

During those busy times when you weren't training, did you literally have no time? I've been through periods of my life when I was working, going to school, and traveling to play with my band a few nights a week, and I was waking up at 4am with only a few hours of sleep to train. I know a lot of people who put that kind of work in. To be honest, if you can make that kind of commitment early on, it becomes second nature. It's not even work for me, I wouldn't have it any other way because I love training.

Finally, if you're lean and you can't see abs, then you don't have abs yet. Gotta build them first.
Post 5 IP   flag post
T1no1 private msg quote post Address this user
@Kyles247 not to be harsh but your abs are not showing because they arent thick enough to show, this means a lack of muscle go in a surplus train them weighted and after a good long bulk cut down fat again and they will pop out.

Goodluck on your journey!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
How many cals per day?

Well i haven't been calculating recently, but i was doing 2900 to 3100 clean bulk each day and that was with only one weight gainer shake a day.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beans thanks for responding to my post, to answer your question i was working at UPS during Christmas box loading then driver helper also i didnt workout since i figured i was running all day and would end up loosing weight anyways
Post 8 IP   flag post
T1no1 i have started to realize that so your not being harsh i was doing p90x abbs a lot, but heard i need to start doing weighted abb workouts. If i do abbs in the gym i normally will do 3 different workout 12 reps each without stopping then then rest and repeat 2 more times. Is that a good way to work abbs?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@T1no1 @Beans @mikew
Post 10 IP   flag post
I will post picture for everyone tomorrow night along with all my body measurements.
Post 11 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
yea man, just need to train abs and obliques like any other muscle. 8-12 weighted reps for lower/upper abs and obliques
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hey man, so I skimmed through your earlier post, and I'm actually kind of confused about you goals. Do you want to gain weight, or see your abs? It seems to me in the first post you want to get bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyles247
How many cals per day?

Well i haven't been calculating recently, but i was doing 2900 to 3100 clean bulk each day and that was with only one weight gainer shake a day.

Remember, consistency. Why haven't you been calculating? If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough. And I don't see why you're implementing so much cardio if you're having trouble bulking.

If you want to gain weight, just keep training your abs like every other muscle, and don't worry about seeing them until you decide to lose weight later.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Beans @teewhat well here is when i started at 6'1 124 pounds

Post 14 IP   flag post
@teewhat @Beans Here is when i got up to 135.
Then 140
Then 145 which was my max! i have one pic at my max and one at my start in jan 2013

Post 15 IP   flag post
@teewhat @Beans @T1no1 @mikew here is a pic of me i just took today I'm 6'2 and weigh 141.3 pounds. This is where i start again I lifeguard 10 hours a day tues-friday. I want to start bringing 4 meals with me a day of chicken broccli rice to eat. I workout MON,TUES,WED and FRI so 4 days a week. I do
chest/tri = mon
back/bi = tues
rest = wed
legs = thur
shoulders = Fri
I just started doing cardio about a week ago. Low intensity for 20 mins on treadmill/bike/or concept row machine before my workout 2 days a week to 3 days.
I started doing abs one day obliques the next so
mon abs
tues obliques
thur abs
fri obliques
Should i do them together and on everyday or no? and i was also wondering if i should start working out 5 days instead of 4? and adding in to chest day workouts since that's one of my weakness's because of my wrists.

Post 16 IP   flag post
im not going to lie i skipped out on leg day for almost the first year till recently
Post 17 IP   flag post
Nice progress man, there's definitely a big difference between your first and last pics.

I don't see what's wrong with training abs/obliques that often, but it probably isn't needed. See what works for you.

I wouldn't just add another chest day because it's lagging. You've clearly been able to make progress so far. Really, I think it comes down to needing to eat more. For someone at your stage of training, you shouldn't have any trouble putting on weight as long as you are in caloric surplus.

I would also suggest looking up an actual program to follow, having a whole day for shoulders seems silly to me. I don't really have any recommendations, but there's plenty of material to sort through on the site.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Beans thx man i will definitely start eating more and taking in the proper amount of calories i need. I agree that's what im slacking with recently. And what makes you think shoulder day by itself is silly? Should i add some chest workouts into that?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I just think it's a really small muscle group to have a whole day to itself. I mean, if you want to shoot for it, it's up to you, and see how it works out. I would personally find a program that has a set structure that's proven to work. Makes things a lot easier than worrying about adding days, moving stuff around etc. CONSISTENCY. haha
Post 20 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
Good progress in the pics man, good stuff.

I agree with @Beans keep eatinig at your required cal surplus, hitting your macros, and looking into a tried and tested routine. whilst the bro split (mon-chest, tues- back etc) is good and will get you gains. its not neccessarily the most affective for nattys.

nattys generally need to hit all muscle groups twice a week in order to make efficent progress. this doesnt apply to noobies as they will make all kinds of gains in the first 6 months of lifting.

you will have a lot of people on here, inc myself, who dont give shoulders their own day. simply put that the front, side and rear delts almost get enough of a workout through training chest and back that they dont need much more than a few accessories (side raises, face pulls) chucked in on back or chest day. plus the stress of a 90min shoulders workout can kill your rotator cuffs, leaving them fatigued for the rest of the weeks workouts

take a look at a couple of the routines in the link @Bucky posted at the top of the page. some solid ones in there. i just run a simple L/P/P off repeat with the first lpp of the week being for power and the 2nd for hyper.
Post 21 IP   flag post
T1no1 private msg quote post Address this user
I have to admit i did to bro splits for 1year+ with a seperate shoulder day and it did work for ME im not saying you should do it. I would go by what @teewhat and use a routine in the FAQ start eating in a surplus, please do not eat like a bro rice and chicken but use iifym. And let time do its work, make sure you get enough sleep hit your macros and micros train hard and enjoy the journey and not let it take over your live
Post 22 IP   flag post
@T1no1 @teewhat @Beans thanks guys for all the advice i will for sure start doing what y'all have suggested.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
You can photoshop my face and that's exactly what I looked like at your age, lol. Just eat a ton and workout till you can't stand, you'll get bigger, I promise...and don't forget leg day!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
So im about to start up creatine to help my gains i have never used it but have done a lot of research! Any advice on what brands to use and if i should stick with just a monohydrate?
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Beans @mikew @teewhat
Post 26 IP   flag post
rklohe private msg quote post Address this user
All you need is monohydrate. 5 grams a day and you'll be golden. It's also pretty cheap
Post 27 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklohe
All you need is monohydrate. 5 grams a day and you'll be golden. It's also pretty cheap

There's a guide to creatine in the FAQ as well.

I'd think an iiyfm diet would work perfectly for you, after a year of 5x5 you would want to start a program based on hypertrophy rather than strength if the body builder look is your goal.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklohe

Totally agree. Cheapest brand of monohydrate you can find.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Piggles private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say you've actually made really good progress man.

Just don't stop this time.

Really there are always going to be things you could do better, and things which will help you gain faster, however ultimately none of them will help as much as consistency.

Follow what the guys have said above, keep asking questions, keep consistent for at least a year and you'll be killing it!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340767 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute