Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BroscienceChestWTF

omarisuf explain about some chest myth!14299

haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by golagola
@eknight

does shoulder press work the chest too ?
after day (back and shoulder) i feel like my chest has worked too ,even worked hard .

Chest can be secondary when doing should press. Your form might be off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslo
Then why does my upper chest feel more pumped up after incline than flat or decline...........

Do you do upper chest more than flat or decline? If you do you should try changing to flat or declines and see what happens after a month or two.
Post 26 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
@haole no i dont i do primarily flat bb bench press and then do incline hammer strength or dbs for accessory work. I agree that flat bench is without a doubt the best way to build a big chest and i create my workour around that i cannot deny that if i start my chest workout with incline for shits and giggles then i will feel a pump more in my upper chest.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Really? How exactly does one feel a pump in half of a muscle? When you do curls, do you ever feel a pump in just the portion of your biceps closest to the elbow? When you do chins do you ever feel a pump in just the lower portion of your lats?

The notion that you can feel a pump in only part of ONE muscle is the greatest bit of broscience I've seen in quite a while. -3X
Post 28 IP   flag post
Im not saying that I only feel a pump in one part of the muscle but I def do feel bigger in the upper portion after incline. Im pretty sure im not the first person to ever lift weights that does feel this way. Not with chins but if I do say corner bar rows with a close grip depending on the angle I feel it more in the lower lats.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
What your feeling is a pump in the entire muscle. Your brain is interpreting it as something different. Neurological feedback is not a particularly good indicator of muscle fiber recruitment.

Gee, if only there was some way to objectively measure where and how hard the fibers of a muscle contract under different circumstances...

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/04/03/bench-press-emg-activity/

-3X
Post 30 IP   flag post

golagola private msg quote post Address this user
@haole

ty man ,i think if there are emg for shoulder press we will see more activate muscle in the chest than we think .....
Post 31 IP   flag post
@eknight Thankyou for answering my question.
Post 32 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
What your feeling is a pump in the entire muscle. Your brain is interpreting it as something different. Neurological feedback is not a particularly good indicator of muscle fiber recruitment.

Gee, if only there was some way to objectively measure where and how hard the fibers of a muscle contract under different circumstances...

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/04/03/bench-press-emg-activity/

-3X

Great link. Thanks^^

I actually never do incline press (just feels awkwardand unstable). Flat DB and BB and floor presses are my go to.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
The guy in the video is not saying that the muscle on uses the fibers running in the same direction as the movement, and I agree with your quad example. He's saying that the muscle can either contract or not contract at all, that the angle of the movement puts the fibers at a greater position. The muscle is still all contracting together, as you are saying, but there is a greater workload from the upper portions.
Post 34 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
And the EMG data explicitly shows that this is not the case. -3X
Post 35 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
A muscle either contracts as a whole or not at all....what's so confusing about that? A 3rd grader could comprehend this..
Post 36 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
Contract your chest and put your hand on it, now raise it through the various angles and tell me you don't notice a difference.
At the end of the day regardless of what the research says, of something works, it works. Not too long ago "research" showed that eating 6 more frequent meals would stoke your metabolism.

@nine0seven I think you have this mistaken, the argument is not whether or not you can contract different parts of the muscle. The face that the muscle contracts as a whole or not at all is not what is at dispute here.
Post 37 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
Contract your chest and put your hand on it, now raise it through the various angles and tell me you don't notice a difference.

No, once my humerus is adducted, moving it up and down does not create more of a contraction at various points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
At the end of the day regardless of what the research says, of something works, it works. Not too long ago "research" showed that eating 6 more frequent meals would stoke your metabolism.

Actually, no, the research NEVER said that. People on internet chat boards like this said it, and just like the argument you're trying to make here, they were wrong. -3X
Post 38 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Why is this conversation even happening? Brb gonna go do incline bicep curls to hit the upper portion of my bicep.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
In for @_RudeCrew having swole af upper bi's.
Post 40 IP   flag post
340621 40 15
destitute