Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingTraining Programs

a cut to go from fat powerlifter to shredded14256

r1ch37 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, lookin for some advice
(M/22/5'10,1,79/250lb/113kilo/34%bf).
Right now I'm almost done with 5x5 ice cream stronglift after 1,5 year. I actually gained quite some muscle even though you can barely see it because of my 34% bf so I look like a overweight powerlifter, but now I want to drastically start cutting until next year till I reach around 14/13% bf.

My main goal is to maintain my muscles and perhaps (even though it's quite hard on a cut) to even grow a little bit of muscle while cutting. I started with the keto diet today and I will keep a log on my fitnesspal to see if I hit my macros everyday, the only supplement I take is Multi's and fish oil (if you have more suggestions for supplement then I'm all open for it). So in conclusion I want go from this I'm so sorry you have to see my sorry excuse of a body [1] , to something like this a man can dream right? within the time limit of 3 years if possible.

This week is my last week of ice cream 5x5 and today I 1rpm my lifts.
Squat 220kg/485lb
Deadlift 190kg/420lb
Bench 140kg/310lb

I want to transition to a body building routine that will help me in the long run with getting a nice shredded body. I'm barely a novice so I don't know which kind of effect every routine has or which one are out there, so any help would be highly appreciated, thank you very kindly.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
First of all you can stop doing keto, I'll save you some misery and link you a proper way to calculate your macros

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

Second I would stick with ICF5x5 for your cut, you won't be gaining any muscle since you're no longer a newbie so there's no point to increasing volume and going to a bodybuilder type workout

Third, a drastic cut sounds all fine and dandy right now, but you're setting yourself up for failure. I know it isn't exactly what you want to hear, but cutting fuckloads of weight too fast just sets you up for fat gain as soon as you start bulking or the days you can't take the crazy diet anymore and binge.
Go slowly, this is a marathon not a sprint - youre starting at a high bf% so you'll lose weight very fast at first but once it slows down its important not to go crazy and cut more calories.
3 years to get to get around 14% is reasonable, you won't be shredded to fucking bits but you'll look better than the other 95% of the world

Welcome to the forum dude.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you very kindly for your time and advice.
I will look further into the link you send cause a lot of people have recommended Keto to me, and I can live perfectly without grains. But I do want to change from 5x5 Ice cream, I''m getting sick of squating 3 times a week and I've been doing this for over a year so I think it's time to change to something else.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@r1ch37 in the link provided at the bottom there's a post by @NorIda that links 2 threads called "Carbs, dont Cut em"
They'll essentially tell you how you can reach your goals without having to go all keto on our asses.

As for a program change maybe you could look into Madcow 5x5? If not there's always PPL
Post 4 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Hey good luck man. Keep us updated!
Post 5 IP   flag post
aesthet1x private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock
Go slowly, this is a marathon not a sprint - youre starting at a high bf% so you\'ll lose weight very fast at first but once it slows down its important not to go crazy and cut more calories

totally agree. The best way to loose weight is to take your time. Don't hurry, the longest time you take, the best for your body and muscle mass.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ezvmoneybeast private msg quote post Address this user
We want before pics... itll be exciting to see a drastic transformation... no homo.. good luck men
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dear god, I love this community so much, you guys are so supportive. I think I will try my diet with carbs and I know it's not a sprint but a marathon (even though I'm going to add sprint to my weekly workout ).
But in sincere I've been trying to get help in this on other forums and they just ignore me and give me stupid advice, so once again thank you very much I really do appreciate this.

I think I want to start with PPl, I've made a routine, but as I wrote before I'm just barely a novice I want your opinion on this.

Day 1 - Monday - Push
Bench Press 3x8
Military Press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Side Laterals 2x12
Bent Laterals 2x12
Dumbbell Flye 2x12
Skullcrusher 2x12
Cable Tricep Extension 2x12
leg raise 3x12
Ab Rollout 3x12

Day 2 - Wednesday - Legs
Squat 3x8
barbell lunges 3x8
Glute Ham Raises 3x8
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Leg Curl 2x12
Calf Raise 2x12
Ab rollout 3x12
cable crunch 3x20

Day 3 - Friday - Pull
Deadlift 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x8
Dumbbell Curl 2x12
21 2x12
Barbell Shrug 3x15
Bent Over Reverse Dumbbell Flye 3x12
ab rollout 3x12
Post 8 IP   flag post
Less push and more pull, take out the bent laterals and I'd probably take out the Flyes before I took out the dips
Take out the bent over db flyes and add in some Low cable rows or T-bar rows

Leg day is almost all Hamstring work - I'd take out the lunges and add in a leg press or front squats and possibly lower the sets of your RDLS or GHR to 2 depending on how the volume is on you but I don't think a 6:8 for Quad:Hammy would be too bad
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Less push and more pull, take out the bent laterals and I'd probably take out the Flyes before I took out the dips
Take out the bent over db flyes and add in some Low cable rows or T-bar rows

Leg day is almost all Hamstring work - I'd take out the lunges and add in a leg press or front squats and possibly lower the sets of your RDLS or GHR to 2 depending on how the volume is on you but I don't think a 6:8 for Quad:Hammy would be too bad

I find this quite funny, in the other forum they said the complete opposite thing about the quad and hammy they said I should drop RDLS and GHR and put in more hammy work.
Now I'm just confused to be honest I would actually like to add one more chest exercise since they said that flyes has no benefits in whatsoever way, my routine looks like this now. anything else you would change?

Day 1 - Monday - Push
Bench Press 3x8
Military Press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Side Laterals 3x12
Skullcrusher 2x12

Day 2 - Wednesday - Legs
Squat 3x8
barbell lunges 3x8
?
?
Leg Curl 2x12
Calf Raise 3x12
Ab rollout 3x12
cable crunch 3x20

Day 3 - Friday - Pull
Deadlift 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x8
Dumbbell Curl 2x12
21 2x12
T bar row 3x12
Barbell Shrug 3x15
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch37
possibly lower the sets of your RDLS or GHR to 2 depending on how the volume is on you but I don\'t think a 6:8 for Quad:Hammy would be too bad

Shit my bad, I meant wouldn't be too bad. Hammies should get worked a bit more than quads but not by too big of an extent.

2 x 12 rope facepulls on the push day, sounds weird as "pull" is in the name but I consider the shoulder a pushing muscle - wanna hit all 3 of them delt heads
Add the ab/core workouts back to your push/pull days imo, 2-3x/week is better than 1-2 for core

Legs
Squat 3x8
Hack/Front squats 3x8 or Leg Press 3x12
(could also do both, depends on whether you're more comfortable with 17 or 20 sets for leg day, if you decide to do both leg press would be 2x12)
Glute Ham Raises 3x8
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Leg Curl 2x12
Calf Raise 3x12

Can probably get away with lifting 3x3-5 Heavy for Deadlifts, don't see many people doing deads for reps.

Really wish someone better at this would chime in hahaha
Post 11 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
From what I've seen you give good info @frostshock keep going lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
possibly lower the sets of your

2 x 12 rope facepulls on the push day, sounds weird as "pull" is in the name but I consider the shoulder a pushing muscle - wanna hit all 3 of them delt heads
Add the ab/core workouts back to your push/pull days imo, 2-3x/week is better than 1-2 for core, I've done 5x5 for over a year I think I can handle the volume since 5x5 is a lot of volume.

See I thought the same thing about the ab/core once a week is not enough I usually did it 2/3 a week.
As a end result I have this.

Day 1 - Monday - Push
Bench Press 3x8
Incline Bench 3x8
Dips 3x8
Military Press 3x8
Side Laterals 3x12
Face pull (the irony)2x12
Skullcrusher 2x12
Leg raise 3x15
ab rollout 3x10

Day 2 - Wednesday - Legs
Squat 3x8
barbell lunges 3x8
Hack squat 3x8
Leg press 2x12
Leg Curl 2x12
Calf Raise 3x12
Ab rollout 3x10

Day 3 - Friday - Pull
Deadlift 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x8
Dumbbell Curl 2x12
21 2x12
T bar row 2x12
Barbell Shrug 2x15

Cable crunch 3x20
ab rollout 3x10
Post 13 IP   flag post
Haha now you've increased it to too much volume and now the leg day is Quad dominant, here's exactly what I was thinking:

Quote:
Day 1 - Monday - Push
Bench Press 3x8
**Incline Bench 3x8** Take out
Dips 3x8
Military Press 3x8
Side Laterals 3x12
Skullcrusher 2x12
Leg raise 3x15
Planks 2-3 x (30-60 secs)

Day 2 - Wednesday - Legs
Squat 3x8
**barbell lunges 3x8**Out
Hack squat 3x8
Leg press 2x 12
--GHR 3x8--In
--RDL 3x8--In

Leg Curl 2x12
Calf Raise 3x12
Ab rollout 3x10 *Optional

Day 3 - Friday - Pull
Deadlift 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x8
T bar row 3x12
Dumbbell Curl 2x12
21 2x12
Barbell Shrug 2x15

Cable crunch 3x20
ab rollout 3x10

Personally how I'd set it up, see what I'm doing there? Back:Chest need to be a 2:1 ratio so if you're doing 3 sets of bench you need to be rowing about 6 sets, Quads:Hammies can be 1:1 or hammies can get slightly worked more hence the 8:8 Sets
Dips can count as a chest exercise depending on how you do them so 6 sets of chest intensive work calls for the 12 back pulling movements (I've seen ek count deads toward back sets so I'm just going by that)

Again, I'm adding personal flare to it, you can mix and match exercises so long as you don't mix up the ratios - You don't want to cause any muscle imbalances

@ErickFromOmaha Haha thanks dude.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Haha now you've increased it to too much volume and now the leg day is Quad dominant, here's exactly what I was thinking:

Quote:
Day 1 - Monday - Push
Bench Press 3x8
**Incline Bench 3x8** Take out
Dips 3x8
Military Press 3x8
Side Laterals 3x12
Skullcrusher 2x12
Leg raise 3x15
Planks 2-3 x (30-60 secs)

Day 2 - Wednesday - Legs
Squat 3x8
**barbell lunges 3x8**Out
Hack squat 3x8
Leg press 2x 12
--GHR 3x8--In
--RDL 3x8--In

Leg Curl 2x12
Calf Raise 3x12
Ab rollout 3x10 *Optional

Day 3 - Friday - Pull
Deadlift 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x8
T bar row 3x12
Dumbbell Curl 2x12
21 2x12
Barbell Shrug 2x15

Cable crunch 3x20
ab rollout 3x10

Personally how I'd set it up, see what I'm doing there? Back:Chest need to be a 2:1 ratio so if you're doing 3 sets of bench you need to be rowing about 6 sets, Quads:Hammies can be 1:1 or hammies can get slightly worked more hence the 8:8 Sets
Dips can count as a chest exercise depending on how you do them so 6 sets of chest intensive work calls for the 12 back pulling movements (I've seen ek count deads toward back sets so I'm just going by that)

Again, I'm adding personal flare to it, you can mix and match exercises so long as you don't mix up the ratios - You don't want to cause any muscle imbalances

@ErickFromOmaha Haha thanks dude.

You sir are a genius, I think this is exactly what I need.
It's almost perfec. Are you sure I shouldn't add any more chest exercise?
Post 15 IP   flag post
If you take a look at PHAT - Power chest day only has 5 sets, 3 Heavy - 2 moderate

You'll be doing Push possibly 2x per week at 6 sets of Moderate weight, if anything you could do 3x8 BB bench and 3x12 DB bench for more of a hypertrophy base but I think 12 sets/week of Chest is enough - PHAT has 13/week if you don't count speed work

I personally like the 3x8 BB and 3x12 DB but I tried keeping your program as close as possible to the original posted while just evening out the muscle ratios
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
If you take a look at PHAT - Power chest day

You'll be doing Push possibly 2x per week at 6 sets of Moderate

Oh wait I thought this was meant for three days a week
Oh dear, I have to work on saturday and sunday nad my gym closes at 14:00.... well shit.
Post 17 IP   flag post
You CAN do it 3 days a week, it'll still workout the same, most 3x/week routines like 5x5 will only have 5 sets of chest work, you've got 6 still. You can do Mon/Wed/Fri for the 3 day routine.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
You CAN do it 3 days a week, it'll still workout the same, most 3x/week routines like 5x5 will only have 5 sets of chest work, you've got 6 still. You can do Mon/Wed/Fri for the 3 day routine.

All right then so leaving it like this is good enough?
If so then fuck yeah, I finally have a nice workout routine, thank you very much man, I appreciate all your effort and time you put into me, if only there was a way to repay you cause this is some nice dedication to some random stranger on the internet who just want to turn in his life aorund.

Thank so much, from the bottom of my heart (no homo)

Now I'm going to enjoy some Led man!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Yep you're good to go dude

Haha it's all good, if you stick around it's a constant thing. Get an avi up, start a log and ask for advice - You'll be making gainz galore in no time.
Post 20 IP   flag post
340770 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute