Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Stronglifts + adding hypertrophy work?13917

alexgetsstrong private msg quote post Address this user
Hi I've been doing Stronglifts for about 3 months now, increased my lifts nicely. However I think sometimes the work for chest/back is too low. On some weeks it's only 25 reps on chest.

I've been adding some extra work after the normal 5x5. What do you think? I'm a newbie lifter 3-4 months experience.

I'm doing this after the normal workouts:

chest
DB flat press 3-4 sets 8-12 reps/set
Incline db press 3 sets 8-12 reps/set
Cable fly 3 sets 8-12 reps/set
Under cable fly(name?) 8-12reps/set

And for back I'd do
barbell bent over row 6 sets 8-12 reps/set
one armed dumbell row 2 sets/arm 8-12reps/set

im doing these to add hypertrophy..and i'll be doing both of them 2x/week.

what do you think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Something tells me you aren't squatting. You shouldn't have the energy for all that crap after doing heavy squats, bench and rows. I could understand some extra work on ohp and deadlift days.

The glorious thing about stronglifts is how simple it is. I thought I was going to be doing a shit ton of extra stuff too. And I narrowed it down to: dips, pull-ups, ham curls, and face pills. I hope you are only lifting 3x per week as well. Because doing that for chest is going to wear you out quick. Let the progressive overload do it's thing bro.
Post 2 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
You are going to plateau fast.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
With 3-4 months experience, you shouldn't be monkeying with a program. Run it as is. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
@SOLARSUPLEX yes i am squatting, i squatted my way up to 100kg at a bodyweight of 78kg, but i platued, a mental thing. so now i am working my way back up to 100kg from 80kg. idk I still have energy after the regular workout, im pretty young 16 so maybe thats why. and i am adding the hyperwork after the regular workout, so still 3 days a week

@Eknight , is there any bad things that could happen if I add this hyperwork? I've heard that overtraining is pretty difficult, and I am not really sore the day after, just alittlebit if i flex. if the worst thing that could happen is that it dosent work i would still like to try it, since i felt it have helped my chest and back grow.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You're circumventing the point of the program. If you want to run a hypertrophy routine just run one, rather than trying to run a strength program for hypertrophy. Square peg, round hole. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ok I see, have you got any names for good hypertrophy routines?

cause what I read is that u should have a solid strength base before doing hypertrophy cause you can lift more weight.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340738 7 7
destitute