Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
MobilityStretchingTraining ProgramsWarm Up

Mobility Drills13616

Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Starting 5/3/1 I find myself EXTREMELY stiff and sore compared to rarely sore at the end of PHAT. I started noticing that I wasn't nearly as flexible as I was 20lbs ago, albeit there's new muscle mass in my way, I find myself stretching or limbering up longer before lifts whereas before I would just do 2-3 sets with low-to-moderate weight with extended TuT and be good to go. I love the soreness, feels more like a self given massage rather than painful - the feeling of extreme tightness/stiffness is what I'd like to alleviate

Here's a couple mobility drills I was thinking of trying, but I figured I'd ask for input on your favorites, recommended amount of time to do them, how many should be done, when to do them, and if you should do a full body drill vs the parts you are working for that day.

There's a couple "Essential 8" posts on different sites but for some reason the links are broken, may just be my shitty school internet though.
Here's some dug up archived mobility posts too
Upper Body Mobility
Lower Body
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Bands, lots of band work.
Limber 11 errrday.
Shoulder mobilty drills prior to upper body work.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
I just do some basic stuff, couple of times a day when I feel like stretching.

I work as a developer so I sit a lot and this helps my lower back / hips, along with some other exercises:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6D483GYqAk

I've had a lot of issues with shoulder fatigue during last 5 months which was a result of overtraining / bad form. This helped a lot after just couple of days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJlm3QTESKE

Now my shoulders feel close to fully recuperated. Couple of more weeks and I can go back to PHAT.

Also some very basic neck / upper traps stretches where you just tilt your head towards your chest / left / right shoulder / back and keep it in that position for 5-10 secs.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Take that heel to your butt.
Post 4 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
This may be bro science but I feel like unless I am stretching consistently it is not beneficial and actually makes me more prone to injuries. So try to be consistent. Also, static stretching before working out or playing sports is not beneficial like people used to think it was.
Post 5 IP   flag post

Couch stretch everyday, ERRRRRRRRRDAY !! Magical.

MORE:

Shoulders mobility.. diesel crew checkin IN.

Post 6 IP   flag post
I like that guys shirt.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input all, was really really nice to have this thread with a ton of drills bookmarked on my phone

Here's another mobility link:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/the_essential_8_mobility_drills
Post 8 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock

'Walking Spiderman'? Now there's something I'll be doing every day!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Time to beat a dead horse, can't believe Limber 11 wasn't linked in this though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
About to try all of these.... Maybe I should eat first.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Band stuff!!! Courtesy of @FiremanSi

Skip to 4:00 for an amazing shoulder stretch

Also my new favorite band thing - 3D Band Pull Aparts:
Post 12 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock
Starting 5/3/1 I find myself EXTREMELY stiff and sore compared to rarely sore at the end of PHAT. I started noticing that I wasn't nearly as flexible as I was 20lbs ago, albeit there's new muscle mass in my way, I find myself stretching or limbering up longer before lifts whereas before I would just do 2-3 sets with low-to-moderate weight with extended TuT and be good to go. I love the soreness, feels more like a self given massage rather than painful - the feeling of extreme tightness/stiffness is what I'd like to alleviate

Here's a couple mobility drills I was thinking of trying, but I figured I'd ask for input on your favorites, recommended amount of time to do them, how many should be done, when to do them, and if you should do a full body drill vs the parts you are working for that day.

There's a couple "Essential 8" posts on different sites but for some reason the links are broken, may just be my shitty school internet though.
Here's some dug up archived mobility posts too
Upper Body Mobility
Lower Body

Eric Cressey doesn't get talked about a lot on this forum, but he's kind of a badass. He does a lot of cool corrective exercise videos and trains a lot of pro athletes, mostly baseball players if i recall correctly. I guess he is kind of like a lesser known joe defranco. Cressey is also pretty fucking strong. He has over a 1500lb total in the 160lb weight class.

He has a few lifting programs that might be worth taking a look at. I think one is called show and go, not sure about the others.
Post 13 IP   flag post
maximus24 private msg quote post Address this user
@Frostshock are you currently doing just mobility work? If you haven't tried yoga it might be something to incorporate.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by databas1c
Eric Cressey doesn\'t get talked about a lot on this forum, but he\'s kind of a badass. He does a lot of cool corrective exercise videos and trains a lot of pro athletes, mostly baseball players if i recall correctly. I guess he is kind of like a lesser known joe defranco. Cressey is also pretty fucking strong. He has over a 1500lb total in the 160lb weight class.

He has a few lifting programs that might be worth taking a look at. I think one is called show and go, not sure about the others.

I'm definitely going to check out some of his work, thanks a lot!

@maximus24 As a warm up & kind of a morning ritual for rest days yeah I mainly just do mobility drills - Taking 5-10 minutes to get a great stretch is very appealing to me

I've tried yoga before and really like it, I just would like to dedicate more time to it and make it a regular thing if I do decide to do more of it. It's extremely relaxing and I'm flexible enough for some of the intermediate poses but I haven't found a particular youtuber or class that peaks my interest for long enough.
I DO practice breathing techniques on a daily basis though basically throughout the day if I'm not avidly focusing on something.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Frostshock have you looked at Matt ogus's yoga routine? I personally haven't done it but it might be something to look into. Let me search for that for you. And yes one of the things I love most about yoga is the breathing in sync with your movements( kind of like lifting weights...and sex)
Post 16 IP   flag post
http://youtu.be/E6dye_kU1yo

Tried doing this on my phone so I don't know if it will work
Post 17 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Fuck warming up! If a muscle tears that's just a muscle not ready!!!!

But on the real I never warm up. Wast of fucking time when yah should be GETTING GAINS BITCH!!!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808

But on the real I never warm up. Wast of fucking time when yah should be GETTING GAINS BITCH!!!

Hahaha... Lunatic.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@maximus24 definitely will take a look when I get home, its always hard to sift through those damn 3dmj bids but I generally enjoy the majority

@SRorhrbac0808 Haha insert zombieland gif here-
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Quote:

Hahaha... Lunatic.

It does sound crazy but not really if you think about it... I RARELY get injured. I might get a little soreness here and there but it lasts like 1-3 days and I'm good. I know plenty of people, myself included, who do no warmup or mobility stuff. I might stretch my hips a little before squats/deads and warm up shoulder a little before chest. But we waste no time over here!!! Gains city biotches
Post 21 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808 I have to say some people including myself in that overdo the mobility stuff at times.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Come on fireman. Don't be a beta. If mobility is your thing stand up for it!!! Wear that shit with pride and so mobility 24/7. Don't be a sad kent
Post 23 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
I think a lot of people follow mobility plans blindly. If I'm rolling out my quads and TFL and they aren't feeling stiff, I'll stop rolling them out and move on to something else. If they feel like shit though, I'll keep at them for as long as I need to.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by databas1c
I think a lot of people follow mobility plans blindly. If I'm rolling out my quads and TFL and they aren't feeling stiff, I'll stop rolling them out and move on to something else. If they feel like shit though, I'll keep at them for as long as I need to.

Agreed it's intuitive stretching... and ur best of applying that theory.

Quote:
Come on fireman. Don't be a beta. If mobility is your thing stand up for it!!! Wear that shit with pride and so mobility 24/7. Don't be a sad kent

hahaha.. nah man i love my mobility never give it up i do alot at home and never stoppping that shit, helps my back and knees and shoulders tremendously.. but prior to my workouts especially on lower body.. i.e. squats and deads it could take me up to 30mins easy of foam rolling and band work. I do need to taper this back some... i.e. if it's not sore or tight no need to stretch it.
I get into a routine with the mobility work and tend to do the same thing always instead of adapting to the moment.
Post 25 IP   flag post
30 mins!? I'd think that has to hinder performance to a slight degree. Haha I have to get in and out the gym ASAP to get them gains
Post 26 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808 Get them like ur robbin' them.
Yeah man 10mins Rollin some foam, 10mins Joe DeFranco's Limber 11, 10 mins band hip openers and Kelly starrett techniques.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Shoulder mobility:
http://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-build-bulletproof-shoulders

http://www.t-nation.com/training/supercharge-your-shoulders-to-lift-heavier

Also 50 pages of "Becoming a Supple Leopard"
http://spartantraveler.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/kelly-starret-basl-sample.pdf

Someone buy me this book for my birthday?

Some lower body mobility that works great if Mixed and matched with Limber 11:
Post 28 IP   flag post
golagola private msg quote post Address this user
@Frostshock

matt ogus has full low body and upper body mobility that involve almost all the stuff u reminded
Post 29 IP   flag post
Forums been kinda dead today and I found these gems =) Them Thoracic Bridges feel GOOOOOOD

Also, great little page with links galore to specific muscles that you may want to work on
http://www.allthingsgym.com/mobility101/
Post 30 IP   flag post
340614 33 30
destitute