My penislarge
Post 3 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
oh dear
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You could avoid a great deal of frustration regarding training/diet if you'd listen to me to start with. Just sayin. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
^^True story.
Post 6 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
You could avoid a great deal of frustration regarding training/diet if you'd listen to me to start with. Just sayin. -3X

This. I've learned everything from EK. Let the ego go and realize when someone is far more knowledgeable than yourself and learn from them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Aw geez guys! That was meant sort of tongue in cheek, and now I got a bunch of reps for it lol. #feelsbadman -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Prometheus private msg quote post Address this user
Never really cared much for decline bench, I've added it in, taken it out, had it as the focus lift, and had it as an accessory lift and results never changed significantly with any combination of it..
Post 9 IP   flag post
FxElement17 private msg quote post Address this user
upper chest is real. i def tear more fibers in the upper chest when i bring the bar to my neck on an incline bench then when i do a power lifting type bench press
Post 10 IP   flag post
McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxElement17
upper chest is real. i def tear more fibers in the upper chest when i bring the bar to my neck on an incline bench then when i do a power lifting type bench press

Said the guy who is going to snap his shit before he can legally drink a beer...
Post 11 IP   flag post
JDominiqueS private msg quote post Address this user
starting to believe? ever looked up an anatomy chart and noticed how there is no upper, mid & lower chest muscle ?
Post 12 IP   flag post
bkoguy07 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't decline at all
Post 13 IP   flag post
MCarey private msg quote post Address this user
Never ever done a decline press! Couldn't handle the head rush
Post 14 IP   flag post
Mcqueef you have no evidence I cannot legally drink
Post 15 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
decline is the way to go
Post 16 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

Wait --- this thread is serious? I almost repped OP b/c I thought this thread was a joke.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Dudes lets be real. You can rip more upper chest fibers bringing the bar to your neck then if you brought the bar to youur nips. If this was not the case why would anyone do incline?

EK has admitted he still does incline. Why would he do this if flat bench was all you needed? Its like saying you dont believe in God, but still go to church every sunday. The reality is you are covering your bases because you aren't sure what you are preaching is the truth.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Also, I understand anatomically there is one point of insertion on your chest. But I still believe there is merit to using different grips/angles/bar placements to generate a larger use of muscle fibers from one area of a muscle. I have done a lift using an incline bench, bringing the bar to my neck, pause rep, and exploding up. After this set my upper chest is very sore to touch, as my lower is significantly less sore to touch. This means nothing?
Post 19 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I do it for variety and nothing more. The EMG data is absolute about it- inclines do not "target" the upper chest. You can not flex only part of a muscle.

How well do you understand anatomy? -3X
Post 20 IP   flag post
I know little about anatomy when it comes to very technical things. I'm not an ignorant person in general, I am merely questioning this because in practice I have felt soreness in different parts of my chest after a particular exercise. I also feel that as I've been doing more of the types of exercises I referenced above, I have more muscle mass on my collar bone area. Now, I understand my entire chest may be growing, it is possible that this is all it is. But coupling that, with the targeted soreness I mentioned, it just seems like ignoring upper chest movements because of the anatomy lesson may not be worth it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@FxElement17 can you cause growth/target a portion of your biceps? How about your lats? -3X
Post 22 IP   flag post
I understand what you are getting at. My answer is I really don't know, but in practice it may be worth the extra effort to use different angles/grips.

The EMG studies? Can you explain them maybe that would help
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
EMG is used to detect muscle activity. Literally the amount of electric impulse produced by a muscle to contract is measure through electrodes placed on the muscle. Several studies have shown that changing the inclination of the bench has no effect on recruiting more fibers in the clavicular head of the pectoralis major. Why? One point of insertion, one shared innervation between clavicular and sternal heads. There's no way to contract one without the other or preferentially target one over the other by use of inclines. -3X
Post 24 IP   flag post
nutellafreak private msg quote post Address this user
Ek would you recommend doing all incline decline and flat or just stick to flat for example ?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Would you agree that given what you are saying is true, my upper chest feels more sore because when I'm trying to target it I have a better mind muscle connection to my chest then when I'm just trying to bang out heavy reps on the flat?
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@nutellafreak flat.

@FxElement17 I would disagree. For the same phyiological reasons I stated above. You can't make one head of your biceps grow more than the other with "mind muscle connection." -3X
Post 27 IP   flag post
Can't you technically have one head of a tricep fire more than the other two given the way you do the exercise?

What I'm getting at is if everything is so cut and dry that no exercise is really better than another in terms of muscle building, because they all either work the muscle or they dont, why would anyone ever do anything other than flies and tricep pushdown for chest and tris? I feel the hardest contraction of my chest during flies, and tricep pushdowns hit my tris to the point where I can almost feel them cramping.

Am I wasting my time doing anything other than these two exercises, when it comes to bodybuilding (not powerlifting)?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Let's even ignore triceps for now. Just chest. Personally, doing a machine fly, correctly, engages the largest chest contraction I can get. Should I only be doing flies?
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
When you "feel" an exercise working, that's not an indication of actual work being performed by it, not is it indicative of the amount or placement of the fibers. It's a neurological feedback, nothing more. Doing flyes isn't going to be as effective as presses in terms of growth because you can't handle as heavy a weight, but in terms of number of fibers and where they are, it's the exact same thing as pressing, which the EMG analysis also shows. -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post
340620 51 30
destitute