Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1Split AdviceTraining Programs

5 3 1 routine critique11657

AustralianOak private msg quote post Address this user
Just PM'd EK this routine - what do u think?

Long story short I focused on only bodybuilding not strength or fitness for nearly 2 years, I am now 94kg at 6"1". However I got extremely unfit cardio wise and not all that strong. Upon making the decision to join the police this had to change I begin doing a lot of fitness and now have built that up adequately. It is time to increase everything if possible and this is my routine.

Day 1 - Bench (Wendler), Triceps

Bench
Dips 3 x 8-10
Dumbbell Press - 3 x 8-10
Flye Variation - 3 x 8-10

Extension movement for triceps
Pressing movement for triceps

Day 2 - dead lifts

Deads
Weighted chins
Rowing
Rowing
Pulldown superset rear delt movement

Day 4 - military press

Military press
Upright row
Lat raise
Shrugs

Curls
Forearm and grip strength

Day 4 - squats

Squats
Leg curl
Calf raises
Good mornings

Cardio sessions vary and are usually in the morning .

Diet is at just above maintenance.

Squat: 120kg
Bench: 110kg
Military: 70kg
Dead lift: 160kg

So I am basically looking for a critique with the goal being a general increase in everything.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Oh and a quick pic
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Biggest problem is that your routine doesn't have any exercises that supplement the compound lifts. E.g., there is no dynamic day for speed work for any movements; no bands/boards/floor presses for chest; no box squats for legs; etc.

My two cents.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@mikew thanks for the input mate I did do some research into this when I developed the routine as I had no real prior knowledge about it - however I decided that hypertrophy was also a goal for me, therefore I would see whether or not I needed the added accessory lifts you mentioned and when I do stall I will incorporate them, in fact I probably will on leg day.

What are your recommendations for the squats?
Post 4 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
Which part is 5/3/1?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@AarronStenner I presumed it was each of the days' first movements, which his maxes are listed for. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
First what are your cardio sessions? Are you running hills?

Second how many pull-ups can you do?

Good luck.
Post 7 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
@AarronStenner I presumed it was each of the days' first movements, which his maxes are listed for. -3X

Right gotchaa! Good luck with man, I think its a steady enough progression and I'm currently loving the program!
Post 8 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustralianOak
What are your recommendations for the squats?

Some might disagree with me but I would nix the military press day and make that a dynamic/speed day for squats and/or bench. Throw in some back or shoulder work to keep everything in balance.

As for your leg day I would consider adding one exercise of single leg work like bulgarian split squats or step ups (holding DBs).

Just a thought.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@AarronStenner yeah man EK was right the first exercises are using the 5 3 1 progression. And I love the system as well getting strong

@BaiTu thanks for posting man. It really does vary man, sometimes it will be long steady state run or it can be 200m sprints and I do life near hills so yeah they are used also.

Neutral grip I use and honestly I haven't knocked out as many as I can in a row man. But my last day was 3 x 8 with a 10kg 22lb plate I didn't do them for a while and got heavier and therefore really weak on chins - BIG MISTAKE.

@mikew I didn't even think to do a single leg exercise thanks man, could the dynamic work be done on the same day and keep the military press.

Thanks brethren.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340741 10 10
destitute