Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet AdviceIntroductionNewbie

Started cut on too high of deficit.. Help?11124

SiouxperPilot private msg quote post Address this user
So a little info on me. Started cutting on Monday at 220lbs (6ft 1) decided to start calories at 2400 and macros at 40/40/20. I think around 240 carbs 240 protein and around 55 fat. Anyways, worked out back Monday, and just did some LISS biking on Tuesday. Worked out chest today for about an hour and weighed in afterwards to see I was at 215! 5 pounds in two days lol.. So I'm looking at upping calories to 3000 with 45/30/25.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on macros or if that looks pretty good. I will try to add a picture so I can maybe keep a cutting log on here. I'm new so ill see if I can figure out a picture. Lol

Anyways any help/input is greatly appreciated!
Post 1 IP   flag post
kredson private msg quote post Address this user
I would probably give it a week or two before you adjusted. I would imagine your most, if not all of your 5 pound deficit is attributed to water weight. Especially if you haven't monitored or tracked what you've eaten in the recent past. My weight can fluctuate 6 pounds in a given day due to water weight.
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I would eat 3100 calories at a 50c/30p/20f split, eat it for a week, and adjust accordingly.

I was losing quickly with those macros at 220
Post 3 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
Last year when I started to cut I thought the same thing. I'd hold off for a couple weeks before adjusting too much.

Norida has you covered on the macro split.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Alright thanks much for the input guys. I've attempted cutting before and usually end up giving up on it a couple weeks in. I am able to gain and take off weight very quickly but I want to take it slow so a huge deficit definitely isn't something I want to do since I find I get hungry and just binge one meal and then ruin that day. I think a small deficit is my goal so I can stick to it and when I hit sticking points take out maybe 100 cals and see if the fat loss begins again. But thanks for the fast responses on cals and macros. I definitely have some to lose:P
Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post
Current pic. Random question.. Anybody have an opinion on a lot of sodium. I put hot sauce on everything and always have wondered if it is unhealthy due to all the sodium leads to heart problems.. Just wondering
Post 7 IP   flag post
I don't personally worry about sodium. Just don't put 2 tablespoons of salt on every meal and you'll be fine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah dude those macros are CRAZY low for a guy ur size... up dem bitches.
@Norlda gav u the split... hit that and check back in a week and see hpw ur body responded.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi I hit the 3100 yesterday and was aleady back up to 217. Just wanted a quick check of how it would affect me. Ill wait until Monday to weigh in to keep from going insane lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
you'll always drop 4-6 pounds of water at the beginning of a cut... well i do lol then it goes back to 1-2 pounds a week
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sounds good. I've tracked my calories and macros off and on for awhile, but never stuck with it. Based on all the BMR calculators I always get a lower number. 3100 seems crazy to me on a cut, but it seems to be about right because I'm not ever stuffed and feel pumped full of energy during my workouts with a lot more clean carbs than I'm used to.. Even if im only a couple days in lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
If you think 3100 is too high for maintnence you are likely not incorporating an activity level when you do your bmr. Meaning your estimating your caloric needs if you didn't move all day and had someone whipe your ass for you.
Post 13 IP   flag post
When would you guys recommend dead lifting as far as split? I want to start doing dead lifts more and don't know if I should put them on my leg day or with back.. I feel like they may be brutal after doing squats.
Post 14 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
@SiouxperPilot Deads 'n back would be a better option; that way you can get your posterior chain out the way in one session.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@optimusprime thanks! Ill def try that in a couple days
Post 16 IP   flag post
I have more energy for deads on my alternate leg day.

Ps i agree that i don't think ur claculated ur caloric needs correctly.

I started my cut @196 10weeks ago on 3100 cals.. lost 4lbs in the first week.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Tyjaws private msg quote post Address this user
@SiouxperPilot don't rely on bmi calorie counter a, give yourself at least a week to guage macro effectiveness. I'd attribute the 5lb drop in weight to water loss. I'd also recommend since your in pretty good shape already, drop the cardio, hold off from it so that you can use it later on as a final manipulation.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm gonna stick at 3100 and check my weight Monday morning. If I'm down more than 3 pounds ill boost it up to 3500. Definitely can't complain eating more food and still losing weight lol.. Thanks for the help everyone
Post 19 IP   flag post
My school gym has been closed this week. Keep the calories the same or drop because I have had to take 5 days off??
Post 20 IP   flag post
Every body needs a break. Stick to the cals.. let ur body enjoy the break and add some cardio next week to accomodate for any minor weight gain.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ya I've been biking around town to keep at least a little activity this week. Ended up going 16 miles yesterday... I've also had shoulder pain the last couple weeks so I'm hoping that will heal up:/
Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
Sunday update. Steady progress. Down about 3lbs so far. Finally back to the gym the last two days after a week off.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Beast.
Post 25 IP   flag post
340768 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute