Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsTeenTraining ProgramsVertical Jump

How Can I Increase My Vertical Even Higher ?10654

tracy04 private msg quote post Address this user
im only 15 years old and im going into the 10th , im only like 5'5 and i can touch rim . i only have about a 34 or 35 running vertical but i looked it up and i need a 40 inch vertical to dunk . do any of you guys have any ideas ??? PLEASE HELP !!
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
First post up a vid of a 5'5" teenager grabbing the rim. That is impressive if true.

Then google "Joe DeFranco vertical jump training". This will return good results. E.g., http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/53-top-15-exercises-for-higher-vertical-jumps.html

Look up the same on Youtube (joe defranco).

Incorporate the Joe Defranco stuff into your routine. Perhaps most important is the hip flexor stretch.

The VJ is about three things: brute strength, dynamic strength (speed), and practicing the leap itself. Squats, box jumps, drop jumps, bulgarian split leg squats, pistol squats, one legged box jumps, deficit dead lifts, etc. are tons of fun.

If you are serious, schedule some VJ workouts with a strength coach.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ill post a pic tomorrow of me touching rim and thanks
Post 3 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy04
ill post a pic tomorrow of me touching rim and thanks

Video, brah. Video.

It's all good though. I just started working on my VJ as well. I'm 5'10" and I can't even grab onto the rim so I have my work cut out for me. Lol! But I actually love the exercises so far.

Tons of great stuff in this series of vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0-IatUrY&list=PLD816703ABECA342A
Post 4 IP   flag post
4real private msg quote post Address this user
Try box jumps? Sprinting high-jump? Maybe power cleans for explosive power
Post 5 IP   flag post
alrite thanks
Post 6 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Impressive jump so far!

Bu yeh, box jumps will help massively, and check out the link at the top!
Post 7 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Just because you can get above the rim doesn't mean you can dunk. You have got to be able to control the ball.
Post 8 IP   flag post
GStarRaw private msg quote post Address this user
#in4vidof5'515yearoldtouchingrim
Post 9 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
You're still gonna grow too man, you'll be dunking
Post 10 IP   flag post
fredb private msg quote post Address this user
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
No understandy the Russian
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ben777 private msg quote post Address this user
Hit the glutes deep and often
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotian
You're still gonna grow too man, you'll be dunking
i know that but my thing is that i just dont wanna be dunking i wanna be able to FLY lol because where im from theres alot of guys thats windmilling and doing crazy dunks like that so i just wanna keep up with them
Post 14 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
Hey I'm an ex high school/college basketball player, I'm only 6' and a white guy and I could dunk. Honestly you want to keep your body fat at a minimum, also I learned that if I worked out legs I.e. doing squats, lunches, and deadlifts then went and played basketball this did wonders. Your legs are so tired from the workouts and then you shock them by trying to vertically jump so high in a game that they adapt and start to build themselves to focus their power into jumping/explosive movements. Just lettin you know what I did. Btw core and lower back strength play a huge role so don't forget that
Post 15 IP   flag post
Grovinne private msg quote post Address this user
Glute Bridge may be an embarrassing exercise to do in public, but when I wanted to increase my vertical sophomore year, it seemed to work well. Went from touching bottom of the net, to touching rim
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovinne
Glute Bridge may be an embarrassing exercise to do in public, but when I wanted to increase my vertical sophomore year, it seemed to work well. Went from touching bottom of the net, to touching rim

thats great, do u know how many u did or how many sets u did?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Grovinne private msg quote post Address this user
I believe I usually did 3 sets 2 times a week, with around 30-40 reps each time, basically until it burned too much. I haven't checked my vertical recently, but the past few weeks I've been doing glute bridges weighted with 10-12 reps for 3 sets, which you may want to try if the first option isn't producing results

Edit: Also, good job with your VJ already. 5'5" touching rim is impressive
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovinne
I believe I usually did 3 sets 2 times a week, with around 30-40 reps each time, basically until it burned too much. I haven't checked my vertical recently, but the past few weeks I've been doing glute bridges weighted with 10-12 reps for 3 sets, which you may want to try if the first option isn't producing results

Edit: Also, good job with your VJ already. 5'5" touching rim is impressive

thanks
Post 19 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Stretch stretch, jump, jump and try to set a goal. and the only way is to increase a vertical leap is to jump some more..
Post 20 IP   flag post
GStarRaw private msg quote post Address this user
Still waiting for a video ....
Post 21 IP   flag post
i can now grab 10 , video coming soon
Post 22 IP   flag post
340741 22 22
destitute