Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet Advice

LEPTIN... Trouble burning FAT... (Must Read)10048

FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
In fact, if you don't learn to control this hormone, you might as well forget about losing fat at all…it really is that big of a deal.

You see, years ago after struggling to lose weight over and over again no matter what he did, my good friend and top nutritionist Joel Marion finally stumbled upon the hormone that he now refers to as the "Fat Burning Hormone", and that hormone's name is leptin.

Leptin (derived from the Greek word leptos, meaning thin), is essentially the "master" hormone that more or less controls EVERY other weight loss hormone in your body… and your ability to burn fat as a whole.

You see, when you have leptin on your side, fat loss becomes easy. When you don't, losing even a single pound can become virtually impossible.

And here's the unfortunate news: just about everyone is unknowingly fighting a losing battle with leptin each and every time they attempt to lose weight.

You see, the REAL underlying reason you may have failed to lose weight in the past isn’t for lack of trying, you don’t have bad genetics, and there’s nothing physically wrong with you… the truth is that you failed simply because you didn’t know the simple ways to control your #1 weight loss hormone… leptin.

With that said, it's pretty easy to see why so many folks, and perhaps you're one of them, downright struggle to shed their unwanted body fat like Joel did, month after month, year after year.

Let me explain…

First, in order to burn fat, your body depends on these two things:

1) high levels of leptin
2) highly sensitive leptin "receptors" (which acts as the “lock” to leptin’s “key”)

Now for the bad news…

Anytime you go on a diet and reduce your calorie intake, leptin levels plummet and fat burning is dramatically reduced to a snail's pace.

Why?

Because leptin's main function is to protect your body against starvation, and in the midst of decreased food intake (i.e. dieting), your body unfortunately views your stored body fat as a huge asset to survival.

After all, body fat provides a vast supply of stored energy and warmth, both highly-valued resources when food is in short supply.

You see, when you go on a diet, your body isn't aware of your hopes for a slim, tight waistline or your desire to drop 20 lbs in time for your high school reunion or summer beach season. In fact, the only thing it does know is that your calorie intake is now below "normal"… and to your brain, that's a big red flag.

The result: reduced leptin levels and dramatically decreased fat burning.

In fact, research has shown that leptin levels drop by as much as 50% after just 7 days of dieting. That puts you at only 50% of your fat-burning potential just one WEEK in to your fat loss plan, and it only gets worse with each passing day.

And if that wasn't bad enough, with every pound you DO struggle to lose, leptin levels fall even further, making it even more difficult for you to continue to lose fat.

Why?

Because, as mentioned, in the face of calorie restriction, your body views stored body fat as an asset to survival. The more fat you lose, the more "danger" your body senses, and the harder it is to strip away that next pound.

Hello, fat loss plateaus!

Now, I hate to continue to be the bearer of bad news, but the scenario I just explained is actually only HALF the problem.

The other unfortunate reality is that the vast majority of people are ALSO suffering from a condition known as "leptin resistance" due to years of high body fat levels and a diet full of processed foods.

Leptin resistance simply means that even at high levels, leptin is no longer able to properly signal fat burning to your body, dramatically decreasing its fat loss effects.

That's a pretty disheartening truth for the fat loss enthusiast.

Sent to me via VinceDelMonte Email Updates.

Just for those who have never heard of Leptin and wish to understand it !!!!!!!!!!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
notsrifsrs
Post 2 IP   flag post
bunter225 private msg quote post Address this user
So refeed once a week to combat this?

Is it really that sensitive? Or does it fall into the same myth category that the 'massive GH and test response you get from compound lifts' is also in??

Where is homeostasis in all this? Surely the body isnt gunna go mental as soon as you drop cals?

Wheres EK?! I dont know what im talking about!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
There may be some merit to this, but in my opinion, this is just another guy trying to use science as an excuse because he can't lose weight. Or some marketing scheme.
Post 4 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenhiemer
There may be some merit to this, but in my opinion, this is just another guy trying to use science as an excuse because he can't lose weight. Or some marketing scheme.

Agreed, the first thing I thought of was.... What is this guy trying to sell me with this fantastic Infomercial?
Post 5 IP   flag post
sriram private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-facts-on-leptin-faq
Post 6 IP   flag post
bunter225 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Quote:

Agreed, the first thing I thought of was.... What is this guy trying to sell me with this fantastic Infomercial?

Leptin booster 3000
Post 7 IP   flag post
Massthetics private msg quote post Address this user
@FiremanSi this was a good read...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
notsrifsrs

Haha... yeah man i put it up to see what the general consensus on this is... what do the big dogs think ??

I thought this was based around the ideas of refeed days !!

I copied it directly from the email, not selling anything.

Quote:

Oh yeah for sure he's selling something, but was just putting it out there to see if there was any merit in it?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thor private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think there's anything much controversial about it.

I can't speak to the specific figures but they seem broadly accurate imo.

That's not to say leptin can subvert the second law of thermodynamics - of course it won't. It might affect preferential fat loss, i.e. you'll lose more muscle instead, but ultimately a calorie deficit will still force you to lose weight. Leptin can affect what that calorie deficit might need to be, but again, you can still beat it by eating lower.

I think too that's it's true that leptin affects insulin levels (or the other way around). The relationship between them suggests to me that as leptin levels decrease insulin sensitivity will too which would inhibit the update of glucose into fat/muscle cells, and reduce synthesis of glycogen in the liver. This would mean higher levels of blood sugar/fatty acids in the blood in the short term, and in the long term make fat loss difficult.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
Layne Norton has talked about it before. Refeeds are essential for a majority of bodybuilders looking to get compeition lean. I was refeeding every 4 days the last 4 weeks of my prep.
Post 11 IP   flag post
exhell private msg quote post Address this user
so if we taking 2000 calories daily cutting how we should take kcal while refeed day?
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Leptin as a protein was discovered in 1994. The fact that bodybuilders (and others) managed to have great success for decades before knowledge of it was around without refeeeds seems to indicate to me that its overall effect on fat metabolism is a little over-hyped. I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating: chronically low levels of leptin have been shown to lead to a host of problems in animal and human models, not the least of which is diabetes. Chronically high levels have been associated with heart disease. Until more research is done, my feeling is that attempting to manipulate leptin levels through diet is not only unnecessary, but potentially harmful long-term. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Horrible read. Agree with Duke and Nor and EK.

The author forgot to leave out an alternative approach to bypassing a plateau. He just seemed depressed. (Not srs.) But honestly, there are ways to boost fat loss, and he really needed to add that in his email.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Only posted this to get peoples views on the subject.

I agree it does seem like people trying to make a dollar off new discoveries.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340750 15 15
destitute