Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

PHAT VS 5/3/17257

c3pOMG private msg quote post Address this user
i got a question for all the lifting veterans here.
its a little long winded so bare with me.

in PHAT we all know that you hit each part 2x, 1 day for power and another day for hypertrophy. makes sense and works and i know a lot of people on here love it.

wendlers 5/3/1 combines power and hypertrophy in 1 workout. ex. bench 5/3/1 method followed by 5 sets of 10 for same or similar lift.

i know its not ideal to say 1 is "better" than the other and i know its all about what works best for you, but is there any science that says 1 of these methods has a better track record lets say? is there any studies that says its less efficient to do both same day? will doing the extra reps after heavy lifting have a negative impact on the strength gains or even limit the hypertrophy gains?

thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
In4gainZ private msg quote post Address this user
IIFYR R goes for recovery.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
"If it fits your recovery" Haha, I like that
Post 3 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
i prefer wendler's progress pattern. as for the auxiliary work, you dont HAVE to do the boring but big routine, you could do something else.

PHAT is a great workout too and i gained good strength/size on it, but i prefer 5/3/1 layout
Post 4 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
One is primarily a bodybuilding routine with a power element.

One is a primarily strength routine with a hypertrophy element.

Could go into more detail about what each is for but don't know.
Post 5 IP   flag post
c3pOMG private msg quote post Address this user
and again i know the difference between the 2, just want to know if there is any research that says doing high reps after strength in the same day will negate one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexdec
i prefer wendler's progress pattern. as for the auxiliary work, you dont HAVE to do the boring but big routine, you could do something else.

PHAT is a great workout too and i gained good strength/size on it, but i prefer 5/3/1 layout

@flexdec which of the layouts do you prefer? the tri, dave tate, or the jack shit one?
Post 6 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
i do my own ^^i little bit like ogus
Post 7 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3pOMG
and again i know the difference between the 2, just want to know if there is any research that says doing high reps after strength in the same day will negate one or the other.

I don't have any research but it doesn't make any sense to me how doing high reps after doing low reps will negate the low reps. Once you've done the low reps, you've done them. Doing high reps won't undo them.
The only thing is that after doing the low reps with the heavy weight, you might not have the strength for the low reps but that's why you keep the weight low.

I think there are more differences to PHAT and 5/3/1 than you mentioned, but also I think the programs are very similar.

For me the reason I most like Wendler's 5-3-1 is the logical progression.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340616 8 8
destitute