Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Speedwork in P.H.A.T.5215

G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
What is the science behind it? I don't really understand why I should do 3 squats at 70% my Power Weight? Wouldn't doing 12 reps of it be more beneficial?

I jumped into P.H.A.T. without questioning it because Layne did the same thing. However, tomorrow is my first hypertrophy day and I'm starting to question the speedwork.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
I think the idea is to focus on being explosive and moving the weight quickly with perfect form rather than thinking you could move heavier weight. Just go into it with the mindset that youre still going to train intense and explode the weight as hard as you can.
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I too questioned the speed work.

but DO IT Cause layne does it.

jk, but seriously. It increases hypertrophy and increases growth hormones in those muscles.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
is important. It builds explosiveness which in turn will make you stronger, the faster lifter will always be the stronger lifter.
In fact, WSB incorporates all types of speed work in their program, the results with those guys obviously speaks for itself.
It wasn't until I started incorporating speed bench and floor press into my bench routine that I finally hit my goal of benching over 315, it works! I went up 35 pounds in a month and a half while on a cut...
Do the speed work!
Post 4 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
isnt the fast twitch 2b fibers the biggest? and thats whats used most with explosive movements?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassious
isnt the fast twitch 2b fibers the biggest? and thats whats used most with explosive movements?

My biology teacher taught me that fast twitch muscle concentration is different from person to person. I have always seen myself as slow twitch.

Waiting for EK to smite me for not knowing my science
Post 6 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Easy.

Power/explosive moves has been shown to increase intramuscular IGF-1 more than other types of lifting and research shows that you never maximize hypertrophy if you don't do at least some speed/strength training
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Additionally, as force = mass x acceleration, speed work with lighter weight allows you to hit the CNS with the same intensity while saving your joints the wear and tear of continuously killing them with very heavy weight. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
SCIENCE
Post 9 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Additionally, as force = mass x acceleration, speed work with lighter weight allows you to hit the CNS with the same intensity while saving your joints the wear and tear of continuously killing them with very heavy weight. -3X

To clarify this a bit, you can exert the same force on 200 pounds as you can on 50 pounds.
So it's really just taking advantage of getting the same from a smaller weight. Also you can argue your working speed strength more.

Certainly didn't hurt these guys.
Post 10 IP   flag post
After doing it today, I understand why I am doing it better. It just looked idiotic to me. Doing 3 reps of something I can do upwards of 15 times? Can't blame a ginger.
Post 11 IP   flag post
jhew86 private msg quote post Address this user
Speed work otherwise known as "dynamic work" is essential in most powerlifting programs (used extensively by westside barbell). As mentioned above, it does save wear and tear on the joints; it also allows an increase in speed strength (the time it takes to move the bar from point A to point B). This method is essentially utilized to improve ones ability during the power days because it works as an assistance means to allow you to move heavier weights, thus increasing your 1rm.
Post 12 IP   flag post
340740 12 12
destitute