Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingGVTPHATTraining Programs

GVT, 5x5 v.s. PHAT2884

Agame private msg quote post Address this user
Im looking to start a new program and have been doing research on all kinds of routines ranging anywhere from PHAT to HST and everything in between, my main goal is to put on lean size not necessarily gain strength (even though the two go hand and hand i just mean im not trying to power lift or anything) anyways i finished PHAT about 5 weeks ago, right before spring break and loved it then went back to a 5 day split working each body part on its own day and i honestly feel like shit, and have been loosing gains made previously. So im debating trying something new like GVT or 5x5 or just returning to PHAT. Any input from people who have done any of the above (or not) would be greatly appreciated!

Back ground info:
weight:170
daily cal intake:3,000

HAVE AT IT!
Post 1 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
PHAT is great.

But I had my best gains ever when I did HCT 12.
Here is a link to the full pdfhttp://www.wannabebig.com/hct12/hct-12.pdf

I did the ABAB routine for 8 months. Loved it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Do them all!
Post 3 IP   flag post
LilSchwarz private msg quote post Address this user
Im still learning and dont know heaps, but i reckon try stronglifts 5x5 and dont change it at all and then after 12 weeks go straight onto GVT using the same exercises as you did in strength. As i said still learning but yeah
Post 4 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i'd say 5x5 if your just startng, no point gvt or phat unless your somewhat intermediate..

lift heavy for your size, eat a lot of food and rest.
Post 5 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
My thoughts:

PHAT - Worked best for me, put on a lot of size and strength. Will always resort back to it

GVT - Wouldn't reccommend trying if new. I would push you towards PHAT first. GVT, when done correctly, has been the hardest split i've ever done. The tempo's incorporated are what make the split tough. 4 sec negatives on bench/squat/pull ups are killer. I am going to say it was a good split and i didn't like it. (Im saying i didn't like it bc it was so hard, so.. saying i didn't like it means it was actually good lol) Couldn't even enjoy chest day because i knew i was about to get my ass handed too me haha I need to max out and see if my compound lifts went up any. Will finish my last GVT day, today.
Post 6 IP   flag post
thanks for the input everyone! iv been training for around 2 1/2 years so im defiantly not a pro but i would say intermediate for sure im just looking for something new and challenging. @dwatson hearing that makes me want want to try GVT haha did you see any gains from it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Hahahaha yessssssssss GVT is bad ass. Probably the only routine that has ever made me want to puke my guts out
Post 8 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agame
thanks for the input everyone! iv been training for around 2 1/2 years so im defiantly not a pro but i would say intermediate for sure im just looking for something new and challenging. @dwatson hearing that makes me want want to try GVT haha did you see any gains from it?

I honestly haven't seen to much noticable gains. The first 3 weeks i didn't incorporate tempo so i completely messed it up. Im going to max out next week on bench just because im curious if it did anything to my platuea. On PHAT when i actually got on a diet i went from 164 -185lbs, then changed my diet and lost 2lbs. Started GVT and went from 183lbs - current which is 187-188.

I'll be deloading next week, except for that 1 max day on bench.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@christf HELL YEA! thats what im looking for but idk for some reason im still skeptical.

@dwatson so i take it your plan on going back to PHAT? thats what i might just end up doing
Post 10 IP   flag post
340630 10 10
destitute