Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATTraining Programs

A few questions about PHAT.2032

SamGodd private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, have just been looking at what I believe is the original PHAT routine:
Upper Power
◦5×5 or 3×5 for all lifts(5×5 on bulk because recovery is better, 3×5 on cut)
◦Barbell Bench Press
◦Barbell Rows
◦Military Press
◦Barbell Shrugs

Lower Power
◦5×5 or 3×5 for all lifts(5×5 on bulk, 3×5 on cut)
◦Back Squat
◦Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
◦6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, I like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Off (I usually do some cardio)

Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
(For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
◦DB Incline Bech 3×8-12
◦Barbell Close Grip Bench 3×8-12
◦DB Flat Bench 2×8-12
◦Preacher Curls 3×8-12 super setted with
Standing French Press 3×8-12
◦Push Downs 3×8-12 super setted with
DB Hammer Curls
◦Cable Crossovers 3×8-12
◦Machine Curl 3×8-12 supersetted with
Machine Dips 3×8-12

Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
◦DB Shoulder Press 3×8-12 super setted with
DB Front Raise 3×8-12
◦DB One Arm Row 3×8-12 super setted with
DB Arnold Press 3×8-12
◦Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2×8-12 super setted with
DB Shrugs 2×10-15
◦Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2×8-12 super setted with
DB Upright Row 2×10-15
◦T-bar row 2×8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
(For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
◦Hack Squat 5×8-12 super setted with
Standing Calf 5×10-15
◦Leg Extensions 5×10-15 super setted with
Sitting Leg Curls 5×10-15 super setted with
Sitting Calf Raise 4×8-12

Off (cardio if you want)

Just a few questions regarding the routine and PHAT in general; is there a reason as to why an abs day is not included? Are abs not intended to be worked whilst using PHAT and if so, for what reason? Is there a suitable substitute for the machine curls and machine dips? I really dislike them - if they are highly recommended in the routine I will do them, just wondering. I think that's it for now, sorry for the influx of retarded questions but would greatly appreciate any responses.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Wait, is that routine right? Is it only 3/4 exercises for the upper/lower power days respectively?
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Yes that is the correct original routine. When I run it, I put abs on days 2 and 6 (leg days). -EK
Post 3 IP   flag post
seansm10 private msg quote post Address this user
ek - what dont you like about the 'new' phat?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Zwalk private msg quote post Address this user
I still do 4-5 exercises w/ 4-5 sets per muscle group I just do it twice a week. Beginning of the week Power, end is HT
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks guys, so is this routine preferred to the routine listed on Layne Norton's article on PHAT?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansm10
ek - what dont you like about the 'new' phat?

All of it really. There was nothign wrong with the original. Isolation arm exercises or leg extensions on a power day? 6 sets of 3 reps for hypertrophy? Fundamentally it doesn't make sense. Plus, I made great gains with the original; they abruptly stopped with the new version. -EK
Post 7 IP   flag post
Zwalk private msg quote post Address this user
It's up to you really I just feel that there are always good things to take from a premade workout but I usually don't take all of it because some things work better for you than they will for others.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
The. old one is beta and the new one would be for alphas obviously the old one doesn't do near enough!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Obviously? The old one was the one Layne used to win both of his heavyweight and overall titles in 2006- both of which were in pro qualifiers. I can see why someone would find it beta, though, if the leg days were obviously not being done. -EK
Post 10 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Gotta agree the first one looks like a true power hypertrophy split, while the second looks like hypertrophy which happens to have two days of lower but still hypertrophy range reps.

I think Shoulder Power and Hypertrophy should be switched though, also Layne said this si the first thing he does once he starts cutting. But it seems logical to me to do that all the time, layne's arguement was having a set theme so you can get your head right and be motivated for heavy lifting or hypertrophy.

Also I'd prefer push/pull to upper/lower but that's strictly preference.
What's your take on that EK?
Post 11 IP   flag post
So, would the routine in the OP be preferred to the one listed here: http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
IGS- agree with everything you said there. Push pull is also my preference, although I did get good gains from the original PHAT. -EK
Post 13 IP   flag post
igg private msg quote post Address this user
this is the phat im doing now (original), just a quick question on it, the chest/arm ht day followed by back/shoulder ht day seems a little bit strange to me in terms of training shoulders and chest on consecutive days as thats usually against what most do, any input on that one?
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Eh. If you move shoulders to after back, you're going to have similar issues, as most rowing exercises incorporate the shoulders in even greater fasion. -EK
Post 15 IP   flag post
340616 15 15
destitute