Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsBench PressSquatsTraining LogTraining Programs

How Can I Get Stronger? Add to my workout.19269

JakeSimmonds private msg quote post Address this user
So im 5,11 and 147lbs, training for strength my goals are to be stronger in the overhead press, bench press, dumbell bench, and the squat (I dont care about deadlift)

So far my workout consists of this

Chest/bench/arm day

Barbell Bench Press = 85% of max for 3 reps and 4 sets

Dumbell Bench Press = 80% of max for 5 reps and 4 sets

Dumbell Shoulder Press = 70% of max for 5 reps and 4 sets

Standing Dumbell Shoulder Press = 70% of max 5 reps 5 sets

Overhead Press = 80% of max for 4-5 reps 4 sets

Pullups = 5-7 reps for 4 sets

Hammerstrength Machine Chest Press = 60% of max for 5 reps 4 sets

Tricep Pulldowns = 6 reps 6 sets

Leg/Squat day

Squats = 75% of max for 6 reps 6 sets

Front Squats = 60% of max 6 reps 6 sets

Leg Curl = 6 reps 6 sets

Goblet Squats = 6 reps 6 sets

Ab exercises (dont know the names of them) 6 reps 6 sets

Back/Lat day

Lat pulldown 6 reps 6 sets

seated rows 6 reps 6 sets

Dumbell rows 6 reps 6 sets

Barbell rows 6 reps 6 sets

I dont do deadlifts because I have alot of problems with them and its not an exercise which I care about anymore I want to focus mainly on bench/squat and overhead press

So my goal is strength, is there anything I should add into my routine to help increase strength.

And no annoying "you dont deadlift LOL" comments because they are stupid, and wont make me deadlift.
Post 1 IP   flag post
And dont say something useless like "eat more" yes I need to gain mass, im aware of that, and i've gained 4 pounds recently
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
You realize you'd gain more mass if you deadlifted right?
Post 3 IP   flag post
yeah, but they give me back pain even with a straight back,they gave me more problems than benefits.
Post 4 IP   flag post
you dont HAVE to deadlift. any other exercises I will look into
Post 5 IP   flag post
demmickk private msg quote post Address this user
“So my goal is strength, is there anything I should add into my routine to help increase strength.”

If you’re not willing to deadlift your strength gains will be suboptimal. You are leaving the number 1 strength building movement out of the equation. That’s the only answer you’re going to get here if you get another one at all.
Post 6 IP   flag post
jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
What i want to know is how you are able to lift 85% of your max on bench and still have enough energy to do such a high percent of other push lifts like OHP, etc. It is obviously not a true percentage because your body would/should be exhausted from the first lift. I agree with @demmickk compound lifts will increase overall strength. I also believe that you are doing to much volume if you are trying to increase strength. I know that you don't want to hear it but you will have to increase food intake to gain muscle in order to create new fibers. Your "4 lbs" gain is probably water. It takes a lot longer to gain muscle than lets say fat or water....I know that you are probably going to have some smart ass response because i saw your other posts but remember you asked the question and we are answer. And fuck what information would i know, i mean i do have an undergrad and masters in exercise science and was a strength coach at a division 2 school, but i am sure you will take my answer with a grain of salt....right @eknight
Post 7 IP   flag post
salokin2 private msg quote post Address this user
What is your TDEE?

How many cals are you eating a day?

Do you track your weight? Is it slowly increasing?

Do you track workouts? If so, are your lifts increasing?
Post 8 IP   flag post
"What i want to know is how you are able to lift 85% of your max on bench and still have enough energy to do such a high percent of other push lifts like OHP, etc. It is obviously not a true percentage because your body would/should be exhausted from the first lift."

No, I can lift that percentage and still have energy left, it takes awhile for me to tire out.

"I agree with @demmickk compound lifts will increase overall strength. I also believe that you are doing to much volume if you are trying to increase strength."

I have thought about this, I think I might take out some of the volume.
Post 9 IP   flag post
"What is your TDEE?

How many cals are you eating a day?

Do you track your weight? Is it slowly increasing?

Do you track workouts? If so, are your lifts increasing?"

I have no idea what my TDEE is or how to calculate it.

Dont count cals

I do track my weight, its slowly increasing

I do track workouts, lifts are increasing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
salokin2 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like your TDEE is between 2300 and 2800 depending on your activity level.
If you tracked your calories and your scale weight you would know for sure; then you could eat in a steady caloric surplus (approx. 300-500 per day) and monitor weight gain.

A caloric surplus is a key factor to strength gain.
Post 11 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
You realize you'd gain more mass if you deadlifted right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSimmonds
yeah, but they give me back pain even with a straight back,they gave me more problems than benefits.

It's likely they cause pain because you have a weakness there. You should work the movement with weight that is light enough that it doesn't cause pain. Develop the proper motor patterns and master the move, then increase weight slowly. You can do deads as an accessory on squat day. Just a few sets to help strengthen the posterior chain.

In general, we usually have to do things we don't like in order to progress.

Put up a side view video of you doing some light-mid weight deads. We'll help you determine if you're actually doing them correctly.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I think I might give deads another shot, my core strength has increased since getting stronger on squats and I can do goblet squats with a straight back. Im not sure if I could post a video, but I could find a video of someone else with the same form.
Post 13 IP   flag post
How about sumo deadlift? When I use to do them I found it takes alot of stress of my back, I can go heavy on them without worrying about my form breaking down and injuring my back, conventional is just a bitch.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Why couldn't you post a video? Posting a video of someone else performing any lift isn't going to help us determine what you're doing right or wrong.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Im not sure if your allowed to film in my gym, also I dont have a camera, deadlifts are not an exercise which I care about at the moment, im more looking for help on increasing bench press and overhead press.

I've read through the thread and decided to cut some volume out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
(I dont care about deadlift)

Quote:
I think I might give deads another shot,

Quote:
How about sumo deadlift?

Quote:
deadlifts are not an exercise which I care about at the moment,

So which one is it? Because now you're changing your mind every other post.

You have a camera on your phone, all you have to do is record yourself performing the lift. You don't need to ask the gym for permission, and nobody is going to file a grievance.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340364 17 17
destitute