Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CarbsDiet AdviceFemale FitnessMotivationSplit Advice

Please, urgent diet help needed18813

Greekyogurtgoddess private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask for some advice. I'm currently cutting and haven't been training or working out consistently So was planning on keeping macros a bit on the higher side to maybe gain some muscle (i know it's not likely) but main goal is to lose fat.

Current weight is 178.6 lbs at 33.6 % bf so lean body mass is 119 lbs. female at 5'6''

My macros I got are 160 protein, 120carbs, 53 fats, and 25 fiber. I'm going to do 30 min post workout cardio. I'm also on a cycle to maintain lean body mass (Idk am I allowed to talk about this?) and lifting also. This comes out to 1600 cals, 40 30 30 split. Should I lower these macros? When I take some out should I reduce carbs or fats.

Thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
West165 private msg quote post Address this user
If you eat 1600 calories you will lose fat but you may lose muscle. If you are new to lifting you may be able to lose fat and make noob gains, but I'd up your calories by adding in more carbs. Read the FAQ thread pinned to the forums first and ask if you have questions.

On another note, you will need to figure out what caloric intake you need by weighing yourself. If you are losing .5 To 2 lbs per week, you are right on track. If you aren't losing weight, drop the calories a bit. If you are losing more than 2lbs per week I'd recommend adding a bit. No one here will be able to tell you the exact amount of calories you need to eat. Gotta figure that out yourself.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Liftamusprime private msg quote post Address this user
Why are you on a cycle? your training isn't consistent and you need advice on nutrition..that just seems like the easy way out..

if you trained properly and followed the information provided you would probably get good results..and it would save you money in the long run..also cancel out the health problems that come alongside using such methods.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks guys, well I'm recalculating right now and will post them per your suggestions from the sticky. Going to up the carbs.

I'm not new to lifting, have been for a few years, but was inconsistently the past year.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@liftamus, was thinking it could help to recomp. But I'm not dead set on it, I would be okay with just not using them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Also, I am a female. Is 1600 really that low to cause muscle loss?

Recalculated to be only 10% deficit from my maintenance I get 160p/160c/50f.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Apple04 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekyogurtgoddess

Well you want to keep your protein at 1g per pound of bodyweight. 178g of protein. By the way any diet works if you're in a calorie deficit. It's all trail and error aswell, everyone has been through trail and error. I lost 30lbs in 3 months but I did it wrong, I slashed my calories in half. It's good to get micronutrients like vitamins and minerals aswell. Yes that's perfect macros.
Post 7 IP   flag post
1600 just seemed a bit low to me since I'm at around the same weight and lose weight at 2500 calories, but it's obviously going to be different from person to person and from men to women. That's why it's best to figure it out yourself rather than getting advice from us Who knows, maybe 1600 works well for you, but it doesn't leave much room if you need to drop the calories a few times. Always better to start high and slowly drop in my opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Apple04 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by West165
1600 just seemed a bit low to me since I'm at around the same weight and lose weight at 2500 calories, but it's obviously going to be different from person to person and from men to women. That's why it's best to figure it out yourself rather than getting advice from us Who knows, maybe 1600 works well for you, but it doesn't leave much room if you need to drop the calories a few times. Always better to start high and slowly drop in my opinion.
^This^
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekyogurtgoddess

Well you want to keep your protein at 1g per pound of bodyweight. 178g of protein. By the way any diet works if you're in a calorie deficit. It's all trail and error aswell, everyone has been through trail and error. I lost 30lbs in 3 months but I did it wrong, I slashed my calories in half. It's good to get micronutrients like vitamins and minerals aswell. Yes that's perfect macros.

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, is it ok to go off lbm instead of bw? When I get to 140 lbs surely I wouldn't be eating 140g protein right? The leaner you are the more protein you might need? That's why I figured it would be okay to do less protein for now, 1.3g per lb lbm. But anyway otherwise I'll just do be, would be 178g.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:

Point taken. I usually don't lose very much on anything higher than 1800-1900 and even at those amounts I lose real slow. Nothing to do with metabolism, it's just Bc I'm a female, not very tall, high body fat, and pretty sedentary aside from lifting.

TBH I really wanted to do keto but seems like it's more difficult for the body to use fats to make muscle (more difficult than it to use carbs)? Would being in ketosis make it more likely for the body to be able to use body fat to make muscle Bc it's already using fats (dietary) for energy? But a lot of people keep saying most people doing keto aren't really in ketosis Bc their protein is too high but seems they still have pretty good results, they are in a deficit anyway. Then there are others like Dave palumbo who claim with lifting we need higher protein amounts anyway and we'll still be in ketosis.

I know the body will make muscle under the right conditions with enough cals over maintenance regardless but just was curious how different this may be for someone like me who is really overweight.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I've done the keto several times and it's definitely worth a try at least once in your life to see how you like it. In my keto diet I was eating under 30g carbs 180g protein and filled the rest with fat. Atkins diets have very low protein, I wouldn't recommend a diet like that to anyone. With keto you need to have the protein around .8g to 1g per lb of body weight. With this diet I lost a TON of weight fast, but you have to understand that in ketosis you shed your water weight pretty quick. Ive lost 10-12 lbs in 2 weeks, obviously not all fat. Once you go back to eating carbs you will regain that water weight.

I didn't lose fat faster than higher carb diets, it was about the same actually, but it was motivating to see the scale drop even though I knew it was water weight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Only major downfall tho was I felt super weak and "flat" in the gym.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Only major downfall tho was I felt super weak and "flat" in the gym.

Ohh ok, thanks for sharing btw yup Ive tried 150p and 100f for a while all under 20g carbs. Was doing a lot of mct oil and coconut oil, olive oil, whole eggs. Like you said though, after I lost the initial water weight I didn't really lose much more than I would with carbs. At the time I thought I was losing fast but looking back I wasn't really, I was just carb depleted and holding less water. I don't think I was eating enough fat to be in ketosis either.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The best diet is one that is sustainable. Pick your caloric deficit, track your progress and ask questions if any issues come up.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340740 15 15
destitute