Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressSplit Advice

How necessary is OHP for carryover for bench17645

Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
Im doing bench 2x times a week but when i do ohp press my close grip bench press feels weak it never felt like that when i was benching 3x times. Is it necessary to do OHP twice a week?
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I don't believe it's necessary at all - I believe in SAID - Specific Adaptation of Imposed Demands:

http://www.bettermovement.org/blog/2009/0110111

Basically, the idea is that the way to improve your bench is to bench press.

While there could be some small carryover and some benefits to doing OHP I think you will improve the most by working on your bench press in range of 70-85% of your 1RM for 4-8 reps per set. This range maximizes force output.

E.g.:

Monday: 4 sets @70% x 8 reps

Wednesday: 5 set @75% x 6 reps

Friday: 6 sets @80% x 4 reps

I'm following this type of DUP training now - on week 3 of 10 and will report results... Bench has plateaued around 340 so hoping I break into the 350s.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
@mikew

I had been doing DUP style training sort of like your's i did get gains though but due to injury i couldn't continue. So i'm doing P/P/L my main movements are like this
Monday: Bench press @80% 4x5
OHP @70% 3x8-10

Friday: OHP @80% 4x5
Close grip bench@80% 3x8-10

It seems Heavy sets of OHP fatigues my shoulder and hypertrophy movement for CGBP felt heavy and i get exhaust in my 2nd set. I think i should replace OHP in accessory lifts and increase it via weight or sets weekly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Others may disagree with this approach but I don't do any OHP at all. I prefer to focus on Bench Press. This could someday lead to imbalances, underdeveloped traps, etc. but my preference is to focus more specifically on bench press.

You could do your CGBP first so you're fresh for that exercise or omit OHP altogether. Either way, I agree with the decision to downplay it's role in your workouts.
Post 4 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with mike. I've hit 405lbs on bench and never do overhead press.

If you want to prett heavy, press often.
Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
OHP is fun though. Use it as an accessory after bench.
I love the move and often have days dedicated to it, but I can't bench as much as @Nor.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
I never did OHP and mine blows.
my bench kinda blows too.

so do what you want bro, do what you like to do.
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand

so do what you want bro, do what you like to do.

This. At the end of the day. This.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
I agree with mike. I've hit 405lbs on bench and never do overhead press.

If you want to prett heavy, press often.

Ditto here. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
When we say press often how often are we talking? 4-3 times a week often? Or twice a week?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@SOLARSUPLEX 2-3 times per week... 3x per week allows you to train hypertrophy, strength, and power all in the same week. To me this approach is ideal.

Problem is that even at 3x per week it can interfere with making progress in other areas both in and out of the gym. Makes it hard to keep an even and sustainable gym/work/family balance.

It is fun though... and I'm *praying* that it works. Ha ha ha
Post 11 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@mikew interesting that you broke up power and strength.

So you consider power the amount of 'explosiveness' you have on a lift? While strength being the raw weight that can be handled?
Post 12 IP   flag post
340614 12 12
destitute