Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingNewbieSplit AdviceTeenTraining Programs

Want to quit SL but don't know what to do17015

rickyloot private msg quote post Address this user
Hey. So I've been on SL for just about 7 weeks but I don't really like it.. It tooks so f...ing long plus when I add accessory even more.. Another thing is I don't have squat or power rack so I have to really improvise.

I am not so much into strength, I'd like more hypertrophy and aesthetics so I'd like to change my routine to fit my goals.

I am not such strong, last session I squatted for 5x5 1,2x my bw, 1x5 1,5x bw DL, and 5x5 1x bw Bench..

The best would be to go to the gym 4 times a week.

Can someone help me choose a routine?

Thanks

Edit: also I have been lifting before but very stupid way and undereating so didn't make significant progress..
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
You shouldn't be adding accessory on StrongLifts. If you want to be "aesthetic" then do StrongLifts for 6 months & eat. Trust me, I wish I would've known about SL when I was a beginner. Also, your workout should take an hour & half max.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven
You shouldn't be adding accessory on StrongLifts. If you want to be "aesthetic" then do StrongLifts for 6 months & eat. Trust me, I wish I would've known about SL when I was a beginner. Also, your workout should take an hour & half max.

Why not add accessory? I think it really lacks at least some movements for arms - at least..

Your profile pic is little but I'd say that you look really good. Why would you change what you did? DO you think that SL is really such great program? Why?

(I am asking for real answers, not trying to insult or something...)
Post 3 IP   flag post
smashley23 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a huge fan of SL. It's just SS with two extra sets designed popularized by an internet promoter. If you want a 5x5, why not take one designed by someone with credentials. They are plenty out there.

With four days, you could either do a different full body program 3 days a week and use the 4th day for conditioning or you could do an upper/lower routine, so you were training both twice a week.

Greyskulls LP is an option if you want to do full body three days a week.

5/3/1 and Maximum Strength are two upper lower routines that I liked. 5/3/1 is easy to customize and can be run indefinitely and MS requires no customization and lasts 4 months.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley23
I'm not a huge fan of SL. It's just SS with two extra sets designed popularized by an internet promoter. If you want a 5x5, why not take one designed by someone with credentials. They are plenty out there.

With four days, you could either do a different full body program 3 days a week and use the 4th day for conditioning or you could do an upper/lower routine, so you were training both twice a week.

Greyskulls LP is an option if you want to do full body three days a week.

5/3/1 and Maximum Strength are two upper lower routines that I liked. 5/3/1 is easy to customize and can be run indefinitely and MS requires no customization and lasts 4 months.

Well I've been thinking about Greyskull or 5/3/1 Boring but big. DO you think it would be advisable to change?

What other 5x5 routines are there??
Post 5 IP   flag post
Reg Park has a beginner's 5x5 routine. Bill Starr has a beginners 5x5 program too. Starr has multiple 5x5 so make sure you don't pick one of his intermediate programs by mistake- e.g. Madcow.

If you're relatively new to lifting, I assume you are since you've only been doing SL for 7 weeks, I'd do Greyskull before 5/3/1.

I like 5/3/1 a lot, but it's an intermediate program. Beginners can progress faster than intermediates, so if you run an intermediate program earlier than you need to, then you're not progressing as quickly as you could be.

Greyskull is better for novices or advance novices. I would run Greyskull first and then 5/3/1 later down the road.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Reg Park has a beginner's 5x5 routine. Bill Starr has a beginners 5x5 program too. Starr has multiple 5x5 so make sure you don't pick one of his intermediate programs by mistake- e.g. Madcow.

If you're relatively new to lifting, I assume you are since you've only been doing SL for 7 weeks, I'd do Greyskull before 5/3/1.

I like 5/3/1 a lot, but it's an intermediate program. Beginners can progress faster than intermediates, so if you run an intermediate program earlier than you need to, then you're not progressing as quickly as you could be.

Greyskull is better for novices or advance novices. I would run Greyskull first and then 5/3/1 later down the road.

what is better in your opinion - SL, SS or Greyskull? And why?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Greyskull and SS are pretty similar.

Which one you choose depends on: do you want to squat 3 times a week or twice and how much upper body work do you want relative to the lower body work.

SS will have you squatting more and give you more lower body work relative to upper body.

Given what you've already posted, I'd go with greyskulls since it has more upper body work and it comes with variants, so you can pick the one you like best and go from there, e.g. there's a greyskulls with arms version that would be a good place to start
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Greyskull and SS are pretty similar.

Which one you choose depends on: do you want to squat 3 times a week or twice and how much upper body work do you want relative to the lower body work.

SS will have you squatting more and give you more lower body work relative to upper body.

Given what you've already posted, I'd go with greyskulls since it has more upper body work and it comes with variants, so you can pick the one you like best and go from there, e.g. there's a greyskulls with arms version that would be a good place to start

Could you send me that version please? All I can find is that Phraks version..

But when squatting 2 times a week, wouldn't it be better to do some kind of upper/lower??

Sorry for bombing you with questions but I feel like the more I started to learn about training, the more confused I am.. lol
Post 9 IP   flag post
340789 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute