Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Vtimez private msg quote post Address this user
So I have two chest days: free-weight and then benching

I feel like I can change up my free-weight routine some to get better results. I spend a very, very long time doing incline and then decline cable crossovers and I think I can replace some of those sets with a different exercise. Anyone have any suggestions? So far my free-weight routine is (x = set of 8-12):

Dumbbell Flies
-2x inline
-2x flat
Cable Crossovers
-8x low
-6-8x high
Chest Dips
-3x weighted
Dumbbell press
-3x incline
Pec Fly Machine
-3x

So as you can see, the crossovers take a huge amount of time and I think I can really improve this with some other routine. I have a harder time with developing my pecs (in my head at least) than the rest of my body (except for traps). Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
That volume looks pretty ridiculous to me. I don't see how you'd ever progress like that.

There is no reason to do all that incline, decline, and flat unless you like to do it. Incline is just hitting your shoulders more. Decline is just reducing the range of motion.

It's not hitting different muscles so theres no reason to really do it unless someones like yo get the fuck off that machine you've been on it for 20 sets. loll..

If you're a novice I'd recommend a tried and tested routine made by an experienced lifter. PHAT, PPL, Upper/Lower split, Westside Barbell, 5x5, 5/3/1, Candito's free routines are fun, etc..

Otherwise I'd just reduce the volume a bit and make sure you're hitting back twice as much as chest to prevent shoulder abnormalities and basically you're good to go.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ this. 16 sets of crossovers? Wtf? -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Benching doesn't count as free weight?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVjack
Benching doesn't count as free weight?

@LVjack Was thinking the same thing??
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
As said, the volume is ridiculously high, you can fully stimulate your protein synthesis with less than half of that volume.
Post 6 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
The reason your chest won't grow is because you're not training it to grow, you're training it to endure 18 sets of chest. I do 10 sets of chest total and my chest gets sore to the touch.

PROGRESSION is the most important factor. I don't give a fuck what routine you do, if you're not making progress then you're not growing. That's your problem.
Post 7 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
4x8 flat bench

2x12 incline dumbbell flys

2x20 cable flies

3x10 weighted dips

Nose breakers

Cable push down

One arm cable extension.

Quick and easy chest/tri
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with above. I would cut the volume, practice either flat bench or incline and do one or two other movements (flyes, etc.). I can only speak to experience, but I used to do stuff like you posted above, and much chest didn't grow until I started concentrating on moving more weight and progressive overload.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven
The reason your chest won't grow is because you're not training it to grow, you're training it to endure 18 sets of chest. I do 10 sets of chest total and my chest gets sore to the touch.

PROGRESSION is the most important factor. I don't give a fuck what routine you do, if you're not making progress then you're not growing. That's your problem.

Exactly, heck, i've never given my pecs more than 7-8 sets (50-60 reps) per session every 4/5th day and it's without a doubt my best muscle group.
A typical push workout looks like this for me

Bench: 3x6-8 + 1xAMQRAP (-20%)
Incline db press: 3x8-10
Seated db scaptions: 3x8-10 + Cable: 2x10-12
Lying tricepsextension: 3x6-8
Unilateral pushdown: 2x10-12
Post 10 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
Flat movement 3-5 sets x 8-12
Incline movement 3-5 sets x 8-12
Push up variation 3 sets to failure (AMRAP) add weight if necessary

1-2 types of Chest flys (2-4 sets each, high rep)

this has worked for me and many of my clients , do more some days and do less some days

4 sets
1 warm up set
1 feeler set
2 all out sets 8-12
Post 11 IP   flag post
Vtimez private msg quote post Address this user
@LVjack @Arimac44 Not that it doesn't count as free-weight, I just describe my chest day that isn't benching as that.

Thanks fellas. I have been increasing weight and reducing sets. I mean my pecs have definitely developed since the pics I uploaded on my page, just not at the rate I would like. It's as you all said. I'll incorporate anything else anyone has said and give it a shot.
Post 12 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
@the1 i am interested to know what 'feeler' set means? What weight should this be and is it a chest only thing?
Post 13 IP   flag post
340620 13 13
destitute