Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingSplit Advice

Losing muscle on a cut a myth?16674

nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
So from a scientific standpoint, fat is a stored energy source. Therefore our bodies will burn fat before it even touches muscle. So is the whole "lose muscle on a cut" a myth? I'm thinking, unless you starve yourself for 2 weeks, you shouldn't lose any muscle at all, right?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
pretty sure it's not that simple but eknight will be able to explain it better.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
You'll lose it if you're on too drastic of a deficit.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans

True but wouldn't our bodies burn the fat before it burns muscle?
Post 4 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
I personally believe you do lose some muscle in a long cut (16+ weeks). I also believe that if your diet is right and you incorporate hiit as your choice of cardio then the amount of muscle lost is so minor it doesn't really matter.

But call me crazy in that I believe that you can also gain a small amount of muscle while cutting if things are done correctly. That's my opinion and I know it's not one that many people agree with because the whole calories in vs calories out deal. But if you are optimizing hormone levels though proper food choices and on a strength building routine that is seeing results in numbers then why not believe you could possible gain a small amount of muscle mass while cutting. Personally I've done it
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Hate spoon feeding stuff, so let me see if I can lead y'all in the right direction. What is muscle (all tissue, really) composed of? -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
let me guess.. water? and protein?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
And what does protein have that carbs and fat do not have? -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Glycogen. So the loss of water and glycogen stores leads to strength loss and muscle volume, but not necessarily muscle tissue.
Post 9 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

Amino Acids
Post 10 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

nitrogen
Post 11 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVjack
I personally believe you do lose some muscle in a long cut (16+ weeks). I also believe that if your diet is right and you incorporate hiit as your choice of cardio then the amount of muscle lost is so minor it doesn't really matter.

But call me crazy in that I believe that you can also gain a small amount of muscle while cutting if things are done correctly. That's my opinion and I know it's not one that many people agree with because the whole calories in vs calories out deal. But if you are optimizing hormone levels though proper food choices and on a strength building routine that is seeing results in numbers then why not believe you could possible gain a small amount of muscle mass while cutting. Personally I've done it

im right there with you, but help of AAS of course when i cut but i usually do it for 20 weeks and i do loose muscle towards the end but when i "cut" , i tend to do everything right in terms of working out ,supps and diet.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans

True but wouldn't our bodies burn the fat before it burns muscle?

Yep, a moderate deficit does that. You can only burn so much fat in a given time, however, so if you cut too much your body has to burn something.

I agree with everything everyone else said, too. A lot of people get flat and lose size but aren't actually losing muscle, they just think they are. Or diet too fast and do lose it lol.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@GrizzlyBerg (and technically @Arimac44 too, since aminos require N) is correct. We need amino acids to repair tissue (among thousands of other functions in the body). So let's say you're cutting, and your calorie deficit is too great (remember- it's estimated that you can only oxidize a maximum of 31 kcals per day per pound of body fat). You have maximized the amount of fat you can burn in a day, but... Uh oh! Your body still needs glucose to survive and you've utilized your dietary glucose intake (and the foods that break down to glucose). Where is your next source of glucose? Protein- as in tissue. The problem is, that conversion is reallllllllly inefficient. How inefficient? You lose around 1/3 of the protein you're converting to glucose in the actual process of gluconeogenesis. So, in order to fuel your nervous and immune systems, you are having to get the energy source from somewhere, and that somewhere is muscle, and you're doing it in a way that further compounds your energy deficit.

Now that's an extreme situation, BUT it still can, and does, happen to a lesser degree if dietary protein is inadequate or if your deficit is even a bit too great.

So, no, losing muscle on a cut is not a myth. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
@eknight killed it 👌
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks for everyone's opinion & eknight for the science (:
Post 16 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
or if your deficit is even a bit too great.

What would you classify as a too great deficit?
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Anything that causes LBM loss. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
@the1 right there with you man, gotta love that muscle preserving properties of AAS. running a 1500kcal deficit and still making PR gains.
Post 19 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
@nine0seven. Even if its a myth which is not. you will not loose but will not gain muscle since your body needs something to recover.
Post 20 IP   flag post
irishsteve private msg quote post Address this user
I have been cutting for 3 months now using high fat moderate protein and lots of fibrous carbs (non starchy vegetables) as only carb source. First time I've tried to 'cut' as I'm still relatively new to bodybuilding, but my experience has been once over the first week of coming off carbs as a main energy source, you adapt and energy levels are just the same if not better. I have so far lost in excess of 30lbs and maintained strength, with recent very small increases in strength on some exercises. I think it is vital to consume plenty of calories through fat (good oils, cheese, advocados etc) and drink lots of water otherwise you will feel sluggish. I'm not saying ive gained or lost muscle as I have no means of accurately measuring this, it's just my opinion. oh, and no cardio for me either.
Post 21 IP   flag post
340764 21 21
destitute