Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
InspirationMotivationSplit Advice

Your best way to get the most out of a set?16543

qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeap, it was just me and a new trainer at work today.(Because it is a public holiday and lazy people be lazy)
So I decided to pick his brains out and see what he know about training. I was surprised.. he had some really good ideas!

Time under tension - how long you spend holding the weight and controlling it in both directions of the movement.

Prestretch - when you let the weight hang loose so to speak and it stretches your muscles out. for example a dead hang for pull ups.

Rest Pause - when you are feeling at failure so you rest with the weight still there and then continue for another rep or so after 20 seconds.

So then I thought, how it would be fun to list other techniques and ways to get the most out of each set that you are doing. This is what this thread is about ok.. Respond as you will
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
First, I pick it up
Second, I set it down

Sometimes I pick it up again, which inevitably leads to me setting it down.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
Isometric holds and slow eccentrics (both fall under "Time Under Tension"

Partial Reps in a certain range of motion

Drop Sets
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Perfidy I like what I am reading about isometric holds! so I'll def try the squeeze at the end of movements to get the extra time under tension.

@NorIda lol ok.. that is one way to explain what training is thank you. Now what about the methods you like to make the most out of training? If that makes sense.
Post 4 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
Drop sets is good when you're in search of volume work in a short amount of time
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMB
Drop sets is good when you're in search of volume work in a short amount of time

How far do you recommend the drop sets go for? I heard that below half or 50% its no longer useful for gains. it turns into cardio.
Post 6 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I honestly don't use any of these methods, they're not needed, and actually make it harder to track progress and progressive overload.

Max effort days, and dynamic effort days with emphasis on progressive overload and a structured diet.

I follow the KISS method.
Post 7 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly I did not use it in a loooongtime. I'm not really in search of heavy volume.

What I did back in time though, was for example: taking 50 dumbbell and then when I was near failure switch to 40 then do rep until being near failure then use 30 follow the same scheme and stop there.

Also I wasn't using that method for every set!

Something that can shorten your workout and still hit volume, you can do super sets.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
First, I pick it up
Second, I set it down

Sometimes I pick it up again, which inevitably leads to me setting it down.

This thread should be done. There's no secret magic. Reps! -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well reps is fine enough for those with years of experience lifting like a lot here because everything is like second nature. But those like me and many more? These methods are good for training focus imo. Not whats going on with the bff, if the choc peanut crisps is melting in the car, omg what is the name of that song or is that someone watching. I am sure focus means 'mind muscle' connection for training.

And it is obvious to me anyway a lot of people in the gym are doing 'reps' by sticking to numbers.. if they controlled the movement, squeezed more to increase time under tension and so forth. Thats way more volume isn't it? volume is = reps x time under tension. Look out, gains
Post 10 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Time under tension is a little over rated in my opinion. Sure I do a nice controlled negative but I try to move the weight as fast as possible on the positive (even during warm-ups with like weight so the muscles know they're expected to do). It's my opinion this conditions the CNS to contract the muscle in an explosive (for lack of a better word) manner. I feel this leads to better strength gains and when the weights are increasing you know the gains are happening.
EK would know more about this since he had held mulitiple national bench press records And simple bc my knowledge is not science based, it's just what's worked for me.
Also time under tension isn't a bad thing so I hope it didn't come across as that's what I meant. But some people get into temps work like 4:2:3 (I totally made these #s up btw) or something like that which I think is 4 down, 2 sec pause and 3 sec up. I don't know, I've never actually tried it but it just seems like it wouldn't work well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@LVjack Thanks for your explainations. So apply power (fast) into the concentric and then control it on the eccentric smoothly. Thats the way I can see the trainers teach it here. Not counting 4, 3, 1 lol.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@qtdreams92 yeah that works for what I'm training for which is mostly strength and explosive power. I'm fairly strong for my size so I think it works, been training that way at least 10 years.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@LVjack agreed.

@qtdreams92 at the risk of sounding like a jerk- and that's not my intention- you seem to be falling into the trap of thinking about this stuff too much. Most of your questions are valid, thought-provoking topics, but they're focusing far too much on the minutia of training and diet. You don't worry about what color your kitchen counter-tops are before you have built the house. Stan Efferding has a great quote that I think applies here: "Don’t chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet that’s going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more." -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
But damn I like the 1%
@eknight joke aside, I guess being in a gym all day makes me super obsessed. Yea, I am abit annoying like that. with volley its even worse I won't stop talking until a hand is put on my mouth lol.. thats how I roll.
But I am on vac after tomorrow so training will be the last thing on my mind. and next week I'll start the PPL program so thats when the real fun begins cheers so much for your help always.
Post 15 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't complicate things and just focus on progressing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
As soon as I'm about to fail, stop, think, picture where you want to be in life, look at the mirror, stair yourself in the eye and simply shout

I HAVE THE POWER and rep that shit till you super saiyan and evolve
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer93
simply shout
I HAVE THE POWER and rep that shit till you super saiyan and evolve

Ok I will try! lol but I get the feeling the ending will be more like saiya nara, chica.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@qtdreams92 like EK said, don't worry about the 1%. unless you decide to hop on gear, for a natural it's going to make very little difference.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Yeah EK said it best. Consistent effort with training and nutrition over time is all that really matters.
Post 20 IP   flag post
340768 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute