Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Shoulder InjuryShouldersSplit Advice

Are overhead pressing really necessary?16059

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Since EMG studies have shown that the anterior delts gets worked as much in incline chest presses, is there really any need to perform overhead work if one chest press alot?
And is there any truth to this article by Joe Defranco?
If there is, performing overhead work just isn't unnecessary in a hypertrophy perspective, it's outright bad.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
I like standing dumbbell presses as I am able to get weight in line with my center gravity and I actually feel it a lot more in my posterior and medial delts.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Look at any great bencher's front delts and you'll have your answer. DeFranco is 100% correct. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to try out that shoulder shocker routine. @eknight I think I've seen that in your logs, correct? What poundage plate and DBs do you use?

I've been doing band pullaparts before every push and pull workout and definitely think it helps. Might try doing some more of those.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I go pretty light- 35 pound plate and 25 pound DBs is as heavy as I think I've used. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Haha, "pretty light". I just did one round with a 25lb plate and 15lb DBs to see how it feels. My shoulders are lit up! (in a good way)
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No shit. By the time you're doing the cleans, your traps are burning! I was amazed at how little weight it takes! -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
I tried the shoulder shocker before and loved it xD. @Rawsteel has great carry over to all presses, plus looks badass
Post 8 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
In honest, im speechless.

How does the 1. Seated Plate Raise using a 25 or 45-pound weight plate look like?
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Tritons

-3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Was checking his yt channel, but thanks. I will give this a try!
Post 11 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
That video looked like hell. I like it. Gonna give this a go in the future. Really trying to increase my bench strength so lets see what kinda carry over it has.
Post 12 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Shoulder shocker is brilliant. I would suggest ending your workout with it fwiw
Post 13 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
It's not necessary but it helps the bench a lot. But that link looks interesting. I might want to give that a try if it helps my bench. It's stalling already. My last block went well on everything except bench. Ugh...
Post 14 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Did 2 sets of this tonight after a full leg day + 5x5 on bench.

Ended using a 25lb plate and 10lb DB's and on the 4-10th rep of those cleans. My god. I cant imagine doing it after a full chest or back workout.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
It's not necessary but its cool
Post 16 IP   flag post
340738 16 16
destitute