Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressShouldersSplit Advice

Anterior delt recruitment, bench and ohp15540

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, i wonder if anyone know of any EMG study were they compared the recruitment between a OHP and a flat bench press?
Ofcourse i know the OHP is superior but it would be fun to see how much of a difference there actually is.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's maybe more similar then ee can think. Since I've started doing pull-apparts and rotator's cuff band work, my bench went up faster then ever before.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Effects-of-Variations-of-the-Bench-Press-Exercise-on-the-EMG-Activity-of-Five-Shoulder-Muscles.pdf -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
After reading the abstract and skimming through that article.

EK do you think it is safe to assume that the bro bodybuilders do incline press because it recruits more anterior delts. Which in turn with a dedicated shoulder movement would end up working the delts more than say your average flat bench presser?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Effects-of-Variations-of-the-Bench-Press-Exercise-on-the-EMG-Activity-of-Five-Shoulder-Muscles.pdf -3X

Thanks!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Might ask another question while im at it, are the cable lateral raise superior to the dumbbell lateral raise because of the constant tension the cable provides?
When using dumbbells the lateral deltoid doesn't come in to play untill you're ~30° away from the body.
This must make the cable version superior, or atleast in a hypertrophy perspective, right?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX truthfully, I think think they do them because they just don't know any better.

@Rawsteel that's not entirely accurate. While the supraspinatus is the PRIME mover during the first 30 degrees of abduction, it's not the ONLY mover; the lateral deltoid is still doing work. Personally, if you're only concern in lateral delt hypertrophy, I'd use DBs, seated in the middle of a bench, so that they touch the bench when you're around that 30 degree mark. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
340615 7 7
destitute