Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

6ft guys with big chests, whats your routine15109

musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
I specifically stated 6ft because I feel that taller individuals have an harder time developing a big chest. Anyways, chest is my weakest point so, I want to ask the people that have made it. Don't you guys notice that barbell bench press is the most done exercise, yet you see threads and see people with chest as their lagging muscle? This is why I don't bench because it clearly doesn't correlate to a big chest.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
i am still in a beginner phase, not noob, but ive been lifting for about 16 weeks solid. I started at repping 185 5 times the first week for 3 sets. I then did 5 easy the next week so i upped the weight a decent amount to where i could only do 3 reps which was 205. Then added 1-2 reps each following week until i hit 5 solid reps on all sets then upped the weight again. In these 16 weeks i've gone from 5 repping 185 to 5 repping 235.

Summary: I find something I could do a 5x5 of if I was doing that program then i up it to what i can only do 3 of each set, demanding my body gains a minimum of 1 rep per set each week. This is all flat bench. At first i wasnt doing enough volume so i then used a pyramid up to work weight. Example: 1st set of 8 at 135, 2nd set of 5-6 at 185, 3rd set of 3 at 205, 4th-6th set work weight, and then back down to a burnout at 135.

I still probably dont do enough accessory for chest but my routine is: Flat bench 9 sets, 3-4 sets cable flies, 3 sets incline machine. I'm 6'6" it has given me numerical and visible gains in the time frame i told you. I also have been dirty bulking like a mother fucker. Hope what I've been doing can show you what has worked for me, and possibly help you. Also research form, great form helps a ton
Post 2 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
How would a 6 foot individual have a harder time?

As far as I'm concerned MPS, Progressive Overload, and TUT apply to everyone no matter how tall you are lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven

As far as I'm concerned MPS, Progressive Overload, and TUT apply to everyone no matter how tall you are lol

Longer arms
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesbrah24
Quote:

Longer arms

Wouldn't this equate to a bigger ROM thus more TUT?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yes which is mentally daunting when beginning to lift and leads to weaker lifts
Post 6 IP   flag post
Don't know how people still barbell bench tho, your arms are fixed. You can't even adduct fully. At peak contraction of bench, does your chest slightly sink in a bit?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I didnt read the end of the @OP post apparently but Flat bench is the standard for chest. It is meant for moving the weight accessories cover the rest. Reading this most recent post from you. I want you to find the EliteFTS bench video on youtube about form. With proper form your chest will not sink in

Hell even omar's jeremy hamilton friend goes over form in a simple enough way to show you about your question.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Don't know how people still barbell bench tho, your arms are fixed. You can't even adduct fully. At peak contraction of bench, does your chest slightly sink in a bit?

Ben Pakulski has a video explaining the two sides of a strength curve and use bench & flies as an example. I recommend you watch it, should be able to answer your question (:
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Ben Pakulski has a video explaining the two sides of a strength curve and use bench & flies as an example. I recommend you watch it, should be able to answer your question (:

This video also
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas___Boyyyyy
I didnt read the end of the @OP post apparently but Flat bench is the standard for chest. It is meant for moving the weight accessories cover the rest. Reading this most recent post from you. I want you to find the EliteFTS bench video on youtube about form. With proper form your chest will not sink in

Hell even omar's jeremy hamilton friend goes over form in a simple enough way to show you about your question.

The guy's goal is a strength builder not a bodybuilder... Lot of info that didn't apply to me because the guy also mentioned a shoulder problem that I don't have.
Post 11 IP   flag post
its proper bench form...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
its proper bench form...

^this
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
its proper bench form...

I've been benching with the bringing the shoulders back and all that, but at the very top of contraction, I just can't squeeze my chest. The only way I can get this squeeze with a press movement is the Hammer Strength Bench because the motion actually adducts your arms together closely.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The bench press is suppose to work the stretch, which I believe is the bottom of the strength curve. Chest flies work the upper half of the strength curve, which is the adduction of the chest & the "squeeze" you're referring to. You want to train in all areas of the strength curve.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
The bench press is suppose to work the stretch, which I believe is the bottom of the strength curve. Chest flies work the upper half of the strength curve, which is the adduction of the chest & the "squeeze" you're referring to. You want to train in all areas of the strength curve.

Watched some Ben Pakulski, but couldn't find the specific one about chest. First time I have ever heard of the strength curve. Saw the video about front raises and bicep curls. Now that I think about it, work outs are gonna take forever. 3 variations of front raises to hit all strength curve
Post 16 IP   flag post
T-nation had a good article on it i believe
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You keep mentioning not being able to fully horizontally adduct the arms, as if that's the end all, be all of training the chest. That's an inaccurate point for two reasons- first, NO exercise that I know of allows complete and full horizontal adduction of the arms. If they did your end range of motion would have you in this position:

Second, even if you're not going to fully horizontally adduct the arm it's not like you are getting NO muscle contraction through the rest of the movement. You're acting like it's an "all or nothing" type of thing, when it's not. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Also, your premiss is flawed so your question can't really be answered. Don't blame your height.
Post 19 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
A larger framed bodybuilder will take longer to fill out. I'm 6'2 or just under (186cm) and my brother is 6'7". Don't worry and compare yourself to shorter guys you jut need more time to fill out. 1kg off muscle on you will look nothing like 1kg of muscle on a guy that is a 5'8 or whatever. Same principles apply as the guys above have said.
I found doing heavy presses and flyes focusing on TUT worked best for me. I tried BPak's MI40 and I think the main thing I took away after completing te program was seeing that my sets weren't long enough. My 2 cents
Post 20 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quit bitching and just bench.
Post 21 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Troll on.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Nasdaq12 private msg quote post Address this user
Incline Press and Flyes Also with Dips with Slow Contractions
Post 23 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
It will take longer to look bigger when you are a taller individual but the end results will be better
Post 24 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Incline Bench press, bro. Incline bench press . . .
Post 25 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Some food for thought- Arnold was 6'2" and had one of the best chests in all of bodybuilding.

"There are three chest exercises that should always be done," Arnold says. "The bench press, the incline bench press at different angles, and the dumbbell flye."

-3X
Post 26 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I personally think bench press is a good exercise purely because you can lift the most weight out of any chest movements. I don't think you should stick to just one kind of movement. While you can't get the same range of motion with bench as you can with flyes, you also can't fly 300 pounds. Do both!

And as far as being tall, I know tons of tall guys with amazing chests. Some have crappy backs, or crappy legs. Some are really well rounded. I know short guys with crappy chests. I'm 6'2", and my chest was lagging for a long time, but not anymore. It's a mix of how long you've trained, genetics, goals, and other things. All you can do is keep training until your chest fills out.
Post 27 IP   flag post
340741 27 27
destitute