Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceFemale FitnessMacrosTraining LogTraining Programs

Gazzy's log15095

GazzyK private msg quote post Address this user
Hi I've been meaning to do this for ages, finally found the time as I'm sitting by the pool overlooking the island of Capri in glorious sunshine...!

So I started off with the 5x5 program around May this year and very quickly became bored.

Here's what I achieved:

Start
Squat: 20kgx5x5
OP: 15kgx5
Deadlift: 25kgx5
Bench: 20kgx5
BR: 25kgx5

End:
Squat:42.5kgx5x5
OP:17.5x5
Deadlift: 45x5
Bench: 26.5x5
Bent Over Row:30x5

Macros based on goals and current weight/training 147c/90p/26f

Works out around 1370 cals. This is hard to get right. Many a time I've hit my protein target with just lunch and breakfast and by the time dinner rocks around I'm barely hungry and have to force myself to eat.

I've started a circuit type program instead.

Squat: 20kg x10x4
Front squat: 12.5 x10x4
Squat thrust: 12.5 x10x4
Good morning: 12.5 x10x4
Romanian deadlift: 22.5 x10x4
Bent Over Row: 22.5 x10x4
Hang clean: 15x 10x4
Finished off with 10-20 mins HIIT on the treadmill.

It's pushing me for sure. Like I'm sweating at the end and I really feel I've been to the gym and done a decent workout. I'm on cloud 9 when I leave unlike with 5x5.

Thoughts so far:

5x5 if the point of the program is building strength then surely I should naturally bulk? From what I understand I will naturally hit a plateau based on my current body make up before I cease making any gains, right? My goal is not to bulk but to lose bf at this moment(currently around 24%), gain muscle and look ripped. I understand why it's not possible to lost fat and gain muscle at the same time, my aim is to lose fat and then gain some muscle. I just don't want to look thick or heavy if I'm to be perfectly frank and I think there is a huge difference between the two. Doing short heavy reps is a recipe for bulking, right or wrong? Most of the females in my gym working out with heavy weights look bulky, that's not my aim and I respect their goals but they are different to mine. I understand programs will result in various degrees of, let's call it output for now, based on input (including training, diet and genetics) so I shouldn't worry what others are doing, but I just can't help seeing them, seeing myself doing something similar and finally envisioning myself heavy and thick. I know as women we're never going to gain the sort of muscle men do and I shouldn't worry, but I do, how else can I explain away the rather heavy looking ladies in my gym?!

Anyway, a little rambling going on with my thoughts here. My program won't be changing for at least 6-8 weeks so I'll track and see how goes.

Will keep this updated, and I'd welcome constructive criticism/comments.

Gazzy
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Research indicates that- when all other variables are held constant- training in the heavier rep range, like a powerlifter, or training in a hypertrophy rep range (8-12 reps) yields nearly identical results. It all comes down to your nutrition. If you're hypocaloric, I don't care how you're training, you're not going to "bulk." Likewise, when you are trying to get lean, I can't strongly enough urge you to lift as heavy as possible to retain as much lean body mass as you can. Good luck. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
In for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Research indicates that- when all other variables are held constant- training in the heavier rep range, like a powerlifter, or training in a hypertrophy rep range (8-12 reps) yields nearly identical results. It all comes down to your nutrition. If you're hypocaloric, I don't care how you're training, you're not going to "bulk." Likewise, when you are trying to get lean, I can't strongly enough urge you to lift as heavy as possible to retain as much lean body mass as you can. Good luck. -3X

+1
Post 3 IP   flag post
@eknight

Thank you for putting it so clearly and concisely. I can't therefore see any reason not to alternate 5x5 and my other workout.

@Frostshock :-)

Excited!
Post 4 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
In for this obviously.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi :-)

Holiday or no, went to do some jogging/power walking (I'm talking huge inclines here) with my friend who'd had a small knee operation few months back. Had to hang my head in shame and throw in the towel halfway as my friend continued. I thought my fitness wasn't bad at all, today I actually discovered what a fat person must feel like when they start out jogging for the first time.
:-/
Post 6 IP   flag post
I was wondering, how does one decide how long to go into a bulk for?

I've taken on board everyone's advice and can see this is the only logical way for me to now go, but I can't decide how long I should aim for. I want to get an idea so I can then break down my goals and increase the chance of achieving these.

I have some catching up to do as well, I've driven my maintenance capacity so low I need some months to bring this back to where it needs to be before I can get on my way so I need to account for this period of time as well but at the same time wish I could skip it altogether. If only. Any personal experiences of slowly increasing? 100 cals a week or is that too much? Should I go for less?
Post 7 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@GazzyK don't put a time limit on anything if uve no commitments.
Bulk until ur not happy anymore.
I'd go with slow and steady increases.
Start with a 100cals and if 2week go by where ur not gaining then up ur cals.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi thanks buddy, appreciate your input.

I guess there's something to be said for bulking at this time of year. I can hide inside shearling coats
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hi,

Back again. I need to update this more, but it's not because I'm being lazy.

From @eknight's advice above, I've scrapped the new program and switched back to 5x5 over the past 3 weeks.

I think I've mentioned previously, it's not that exciting. I'm fine with the weights and now back to where I left off, 42.5kg squat, 45kg DL, 17.5kg OP, 26kg bench and 30kg Row and I sense there's still gains I can achieve in these yet (though will struggle with OP).

I really want to do a program that I feel wipes me out when I leave the gym, and I just don't think this does. Also I feel like 3x a week isn't enough, would prefer to try to fit in 4 workouts when I can and at least manage to go a minimum of 3 when I can't.

Still feel like a massive newbie so please excuse any stupid questions I may throw up. I've referred back to the FAQ and in particular the various programs but to be honest, from my newbie perspective it's like comparing and trying to decide which identical twin to date on face value.

Of course I want a program which incorporates the above exercises, I enjoy them, I guess I'm looking for something I can really cut my teeth with.

Any ideas?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Wanted to update this log so here goes:

UPDATE.

I'm playing wichya.

Have done sod all for the last month, mixture of house redecorating with builders in and out, pulling neck and back muscles here and there for a couple of weeks and then finally topped off with a cold that was determined to stick around for 2 weeks.

Today fully recovered, I'll be back at the gym.

I can't wait
Post 11 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
you go girl
Post 12 IP   flag post
@the1 thanks champ!

I did and it was amazing.

I missed my second home.

Still sticking with 5x5 but went a little easy.

Squat:
20x5
30x5
35x5x5

OP
17.5x5x5
20x5 new PR! I actually thought I would never get over 17.5 EVER.

Deads
15x5
25x5
35x5
40x5

Sore today, but back tomorrow.

Now to sort out my diet....
Post 13 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
no problem, dieting is definitely the tougher part of training hard & "eating clean" but you need to find something that works for you in terms of meals and calories/macros.. there are lots of knowledgeable people on here to help aswell !
Post 14 IP   flag post
hollyhopeful5678 private msg quote post Address this user
@GazzyK great job hitting a PR! Such a good feeling.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hi!

It's been a month since I've been away

So although I've been quiet on here for a while, I have been training.

Anyway time I updated this log.

I'm doing a 4 day split. Here's the program I'm following and my last workout results:

Lower Body:

Barbell hip thrust- 3x8x15
Squat - 4x8x30
Hamstring curl- 4x3x20x20
Leg press - 3x12x60
Romanian deadlift - 2x12x35

Upper Body:

Lat pull down - 4x8x20
Standing military press - 4x8x17.5
Rack pulls - 4x8x19
DB lat raise - 3x12
Gymball crunch - 3x15x6

Lower Body:

Barbell glute bridges - 3x20x20
Squat - 3x12x32.5
Leg press - 3x12x60
Walking lunges - 3x20x4
Hamstring curl - 3x20x20
Bulgarian split squat - 3x20

Upper Body:

Closed grip pulldown - 3x12
Seated DB press - 3x10
DB side laterals - 3x15
Single arm DB back rows - 3x12
Standing alternating DB bicep curls - 3x12
Rope tricep pulldown - 3x20/15/10

The last upper body workout I've yet to do. Also doing LISS 2-3 days a week either on off days or in the morning and weights in the evenings.

Nutrition wise I'm going no carb for a while. Macros 150g and fats at 75g. Drinking most of the time a minimum of 2 litres a day but need to up this to 3 at least. Being on the road and drinking that amount means I need to pee every 5 mins so it's difficult at times to hit that amount.

I feel I'm about 80% there with both nutrition and workout, just need to push through the last bit and I think I can nail all the variables.

I'll update weekly.

Thoughts welcome!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Update time!

Week before last was in Copenhagen for work, I love this city. Wish it was warmer. Would move there. So anyway, no chance to get to a gym, too much work and socializing with colleagues and besides no local gyms I knew of.

Last week only managed to go twice. Major DOMS on Monday and Friday which was a shame as I've been keen with this new workout.

Here's where currently finished at last week:

Lower body
Barbell hip thrust - 3x8x30
Squat - 4x8x35
Hamstring curl - 4x10x25
Leg Press - 3x12x65
Deadlift - 12x2x40

Upper body
Lat pull down - 3x8x30
Overhead press - 4x8x17.5 (It's getting easier, hopefully soon can move up to 20kg)
Rack pulls - 4x8x40
DB lat raises - 3x12x4
Gymball crunch - 3x12x6

Lower body
Glute bridges - 3x20x35
Squat - 3x12x35
Leg press - 3x12x65
Walking lunges - 3x20x4
Hamstring curl - 3x20

Upper body

yet to get round to this

So all in all, pleased with the workout, maybe a little less pushing myself to be a champion but otherwise all good. Now to nail my macros. Have had a hard time eating clean and stuffing face with all the volume of food I need to (completely not accustomed to it), that's been harder than the working out tbh but plan is to nail it every day this week and if I can do it this week I can do it next and following will be a stroll in the park before I know it. Planning to stick to everything over Christmas and using the break to get to gym every day apart from Christmas day. Focus and dedication, that's all I need.

Anyway off for a late night workout
Post 17 IP   flag post
How you all doing? I've missed the SS community 😘 sporadically lurking and haven't been posting or updating my log *hangs head in shame*

Anyhow wanted to say hi and tell you you've been missed 😃.

I've been fairly consistent with gym, work is busy and that has been my life for past few months. Enjoying my workout routine and I've a week off work so planning to hit gym everyday! I seriously can't wait.

an update on my last workouts so far:

Hip thrust 3x8x50
Squat 4x8x37.5
Hamstring curl 4x8x30
Leg press 3x12x90
Romanian deadlift 2x12x45

Lat pull down 4x8x30
Standing military press 4x8x20
Rak pulls 4x8x40
DB lat raises 3x12x5
Gym ball crunch 3x12x6

Barbell glute bridges 3x20x35 issues with back pain so de-load this week
Barbell squat 3x12x35
Leg press 3x12x70- de-load back issues
Walking lunges 3x20x6
Hamstring curl 3x20x20
Bulgarian split squat 3x12

Seated DB press 3x10x8
DB side laterals 3x15x5
Single arm DB rows 3x12x10
Closed grip pull down 3x12x25
Standing alternating DB curls 3x12x6
Rope tricep pull down 3x20x12

All in all pretty pleased with how things are coming along. Just need to add mobility work for squats as I'm feeling very tight after doing these so let's see how goes!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzyK
How you all doing? I've missed the SS community 😘 sporadically lurking and haven't been posting or updating my log *hangs head in shame*

Its alive! THE LOG IS ALIIIIIVE!! Welcome back from the haitus haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzyK
Just need to add mobility work for squats as I'm feeling very tight after doing these so let's see how goes!

Have you tried foam rolling your legs yet?
Post 19 IP   flag post
calexrose private msg quote post Address this user
Foam rolling is great; it helps with the tightness and any post workout pain. ^^

I need to do it more often.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Frostshock I know! It deserves some CPR

I meant to say my hips feel tight when squatting not after. So going to try some mobility stuff as I'm finding there's limitations to how low I can go before my form starts to get out of whack.

@calexrose I need to revisit the log fireman so put up some time ago about foam rolling just to remind myself of the benefits.

On another note I managed to hit 100kg on leg press the other day! Was so impressed. I thought to heck with it, and jumped from 90 even though I've been loading 5kg at a time. Felt so good now need those calve muscles to build up!
Post 21 IP   flag post
340770 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute