Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1Split AdviceTraining Programs

Your opinions on 5/3/1 Boring but big14926

Dai private msg quote post Address this user
I have been thinking about what routine to use when I finish my cut at the start of august and thought that I should get stronger in order to get bigger, cause that is something I haven't done before and I have learned way more compared to before when I thought you would only get big by doing lots of reps.

So I looked up 5/3/1 as its talked about a lot and seems that many like it on here. So I found the Boring but big template and thinking of running it, what are your guys opinions on it?

Day One

Press – 5/3/1
Bench Press – 5 sets of 10 reps
Lat work – 5 sets of 10 reps
Curls - 3 sets of 10 reps
Triceps - 3 sets of 10 reps
Face pulls - 3 sets of 10 reps

Day Two

Deadlift – 5/3/1
Squat – 5 sets of 10 reps
Abs – 5 sets of 10 reps

Day Three

Bench Press – 5/3/1
Press – 5 sets of 10 reps
Lat work – 5 sets of 10 reps
Curls - 3 sets of 10 reps
Triceps - 3 sets of 10 reps
Face pulls - 3 sets of 10 reps

Day Four

Squat – 5/3/1
Deadlift – 5 sets of 10 reps
Abs – 5 sets of 10 reps

I'm asking as there is a lot of people with more experience then I do and also I don't want to change anything unnecessary in a structured program. However I was thinking of adding calves to the leg days and thanks to Eknight I'm paying attention to the push to pull ratio, so if looks like I might need some rows as well

My other concern is the deadlifts, but Jim Wendler had a solution to that already to do stiff legged deadlifts or good mornings. Also I will add that I have had a injury in my back, while sometimes my left side of my lower back gets tried and sore like its doing all the work while the right side is hanging on for a ride. Could more deadlifts take care of that problem or just doing some very light exercise to get the squeeze and movement in?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Fosta41 private msg quote post Address this user
Do it, do it, DO IT!!!

It's the best routine I've ever done. It'll get your main lifts up and also you'll notice some great hypertrophy gains.

My only advice would be don't screw with what's prescribed!!! If you're going balls to the wall on this routine you shouldn't have the energy to do anything else. Plus why think you can improve something a seasoned pro has created after years of experience. Final tip is set realistic percentages as it really is better to start off lighter with 5-3-1 and progress over a prolonged period of time.

In my humble opinion more people should do this routine and stop switching routines every other month, stop tweaking proven routines, stop thinking they are at a more advanced level than they actually are and just get their ass in the gym and work hard as they'll see remarkably better results. But I guess everyone's in the gym for their own goals at the end of the day.
Post 2 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Dai I ran it similar to yours but with a slight twist....

First time i did it i did Chins or pulls for my Lat work in between the warm up sets on 5/3/1..
Then i did my OHP assist work for 5x10 after bench...
Vice versa.. so OHP 531 then Bench assistance exercise after that
and pull ups or chins in between warm up sets of 531...

I did chins on squat day and pull ups on deadlift day...

Also if u have an IPHONE.... download the Big Lifts 2 app....

BEST THING EVER for wendler or smolov.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Fosta41 Haven't seen you before, thanks for your input

Yeah I agree, but as I have before been talking with Eknight a little over pm where he explained the push and pull ratio, so I would understand what it's and why it's important. So that's pretty much the only thing I would consider mixing with, otherwise I agree fully with you

@FiremanSi So basically you just did lat work on the leg day or did I get it wrong??

I have a android, but will look after something similar instead and give it try
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I ran it with some added lat work. It was my least favorite routine over the past 2-3 years. Just different strokes for different folks. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Did you add lat work cause of the push to pull ratio or cause you needed more volume? Also why was it your least favorite routine?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I added it to keep my shoulders healthy and functional. Why was it my least favorite? Not 100% sure. Set up? Structure? I can't place it exactly, but it just didn't jive with me. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Fosta41 private msg quote post Address this user
To be fair, for every person like myself who loves this routine I can very easily see why others wouldn't like it.

I personally liked it as it was simple and when I went in the gym I knew exactly what I was hitting and just got in there, got it done and got out. Therefore it went very well with my busy lifestyle/job.

Give it a whirl and see what happens, one thing I will say is that regardless of what template you use the basis of 5-3-1 has really worked well and helped me progress my big 3 steadily over time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@eknight Okay that's what I have been thinking about to, thanks to your advice. I don't have a shoulder problem, but I also don't want to create one and after feeling pain in the rotator cuff once, I will not go back there again if I can help it. Yeah everyone to there own, I will find out what I think when I have tried it

With that said, what would you recommend I add for the shoulders? It will be 8 sets of push and that means I will have to add a bit more pull, would it do?

@Frosta41 Yeah I will 5/3/1 is something I have been thinking about a bit now and it will be nice to have a structure on things
Post 9 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Dai I did lat work everyday between my 531 warm up sets.
Post 10 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer a routine more dynamic such as PHD-4 & PHAT. Still incorporates powerlifting & high reps.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi Ah I thought so at first

@nine0seven Already tried PHAT, but that was about a year ago. Also then it was just to much volume and after seeing a video with Jason Blaha where he talked about novice lifters are trying to be advance, it felt like that was what I was doing.

So I feel right now that I don't need to do all of those reps and sets, I want to focus more on getting the lifts ups and get bigger while getting stronger, as I feel my lifts its not so much yet after 2 years
Post 12 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds more like you should look into Stronglifts 5x5
Post 13 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken You think so? Never tried it before either, so that is something I have been wondering about which kind would be better for my strength level

Bench : 198
Squat: 233
Deadlift: 303

This is my calculated maxes currently after the cut at 147 lbs
Post 14 IP   flag post
340630 14 14
destitute